Fuck Rasp.

parisrocks

I'm sure it has nothing to do with his not rehearsing, having no work ethic and being a fat fuck. It's all natural voice deterioration.

Yeah because he rehearsed like crazy for the 2010 shows... Or even the 06/07 shows... Edited by Coma16

I'm sure it has nothing to do with his not rehearsing, having no work ethic and being a fat fuck. It's all natural voice deterioration.

It IS all natural, but then you can offset this by taking care of yourself, particularly your voice through vocal exercises etc. I don't think anyone has said anything else.

Yeah because he rehearsed like crazy for the 2010 shows... Or even the 06/07 shows...

Yeah, it catches up with you, genius. Like the moron 20 year old who thinks he's gonna be 170 lbs his whole life eating pizza and potato chips every day. It's just a matter of time until your dumb fuck behavior has a material effect on your life.

Is there any other reason to think Axl doesn't take care of his voice than the fact that it isn't what it once was, something that could perhaps more reasonably be attributed to the effects of age and wear and tear especially in the light of comments from other people who talk about how religiously Axl now takes warm-up and warm-down exercises?

Yes. Pretty much everything we've heard about Axl ever.

In terms of preparation for shows, have we ever heard any contrary comments than him actually preparing his voice? I am not proposing we haven't, I am genuinly curious. As for recent years, I don't think we have any reason to not assume he actually prepares his voice, if we exclude the fact that his voice isn't as good as it used to be -- which, again, can perhaps more likely be a result of natural deterioration.

I would like to propose a new razor in the vein of Occham's and Hanlon's: Never attribute to laziness that which is adequately explained by age. It wasn't very catchy, or useful in other contexts... it was a better idea before I tried it. Oh well, let's call it Magisme's razor, since you sort of helped me with it. Thanks.

And no, I am not saying this is the only reason, just that I find it more plausible and that I believe it is the main reason for the state of his voice.

Yeah because he rehearsed like crazy for the 2010 shows... Or even the 06/07 shows...

Yeah, it catches up with you, genius. Like the moron 20 year old who thinks he's gonna be 170 lbs his whole life eating pizza and potato chips every day. It's just a matter of time until your dumb fuck behavior has a material effect on your life.

Riddle me this "genius", when he sounded "too raspy" in the 90s was that attributed to rehearsing or working out too much?

In terms of preparation for shows, have we ever heard any contrary comments than him actually preparing his voice? I am not proposing we haven't, I am genuinly curious. As for recent years, I don't think we have any reason to not assume he actually prepares his voice, if we exclude the fact that his voice isn't as good as it used to be -- which, again, can perhaps more likely be a result of natural deterioration.

I would like to propose a new razor in the vein of Occham's and Hanlon's: Never attribute to laziness that which is adequately explained by age. It wasn't very catchy, or useful in other contexts... it was a better idea before I tried it. Oh well, let's call it Magisme's razor, since you sort of helped me with it. Thanks.

And no, I am not saying this is the only reason, just that I find it more plausible and that I believe it is the main reason for the state of his voice.

When have we heard of him rehearsing or practicing? When have we heard of him training his voice? Ever? Sorry, warm ups and warm downs don't get it done.

Riddle me this "genius", when he sounded "too raspy" in the 90s was that attributed to rehearsing or working out too much?

You don't even know what you're talking about anymore, do you? You just want to argue. :lol:

Edited by magisme
  • Like 1

I certainly wouldn't endorse the argument that youtube videos distort his vocals, but it is true that they don't fully represent what it sounds like when you're actually there. When I saw the band in 2011, I really wasn't expecting much considering it was only a month after RIR IV and the videos from subsequent shows weren't great. And though his rasp wasn't as strong or as present as it had been when I saw the band in 2010, his vocals still sounded epic when pumped through a concert PA system.

Like I said, not trying to suggest that youtube videos don't fairly represent his vocal quality, but it's certainly different when you're actually there having his vocals blasted at you through massive concert speaker systems.

:facepalm:

When have we heard of him rehearsing or practicing? When have we heard of him training his voice? Ever? Sorry, warm ups and warm downs don't get it done.

I would argue that warm-ups ARE rehearsing and that warm-downs are taking care of his voice, which I believe is what we are talking about. Whether he does exercise and vocal training in-between shows is harder to say, and I can't remember him talkign about it before, but the very fact that he does warm-ups and warm-downs at least imply that he is conscious about these things and are willing to make an effort to improve himself, which suggests to me he probably does more.

Axl needed surgery for nodules on his vocal cords as early as 1988 and needed oxygen backstage during the Illusions, when he was young and fit. And he didn't bother showing up for rehearsals some of the time even back with the original band, so that's nothing new.

I don't disagree at all that his voice has not been the best in recent years, to put it mildly.. However...if his vocal cords were injured enough to require surgery when he was only 26 years old, and he had respiratory issues by the time he was 30, and he routinely sings in a way that thrashes one's voice on a good day...is there any reason to think that deterioration now is **completely** of his own doing?

It could be the result of years of singing with rasp, screaming, and smoking. People who smoke for decades often sound like hell by the time they hit their 50s. It could be health problems (again, we've heard rumors, right). You could all be completely right that he just doesn't give a shit at all and he's totally neglected his voice. It's possible that he had more surgery on his vocal cords that screwed them up even worse (it happened to Julie Andrews). It could be a combination of all of the above. None of us know.

Edited by stella
  • Like 2

But let's ask a fair question (even if it's been asked before): is it justifiable to expect UYI rasp, or even 2010 rasp, from a mid-50s singer?

No, but it's justifiable to expect him to perform to a higher standard than he has since 2012 for the ticket prices he's willing to charge.

Listen to some Mighty Mighty Bosstones from the last few years, it is clear that 50 year olds (Dicky Barrett) can still belt out with full rasp as he has been consistently for the past 30 years. In addition there are many other 50+ singers with plenty of rasp. The reason he has no rasp is he is out of shape and out of breath.

I'd feel better about it if I thought he actually was giving his opinion. He'd still be wrong, but he'd be genuinely wrong.

lol "moderate their own speech"

That is my opinion because that's what happened. You can even read my review of the Hamilton show where I say pretty much what I'm saying here:

http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/180146-hamilton-on-november-28th-2011-copps-coliseum/?p=2960924

I had zero expectations for the Hamilton '11 show. I even told my girlfriend that Axl's vocals aren't what they once were to try to dampen her expectations. But I was impressed with what i heard at the show. Later, I checked out a few youtube videos and yeah, his voice sounds thin and weak. But when it's pumped through a giant PA concert system, it obviously sounds better.

• Like 1

But let's ask a fair question (even if it's been asked before): is it justifiable to expect UYI rasp, or even 2010 rasp, from a mid-50s singer?

No, but it's justifiable to expect him to perform to a higher standard than he has since 2012 for the ticket prices he's willing to charge.

Listen to some Mighty Mighty Bosstones from the last few years, it is clear that 50 year olds (Dicky Barrett) can still belt out with full rasp as he has been consistently for the past 30 years. In addition there are many other 50+ singers with plenty of rasp. The reason he has no rasp is he is out of shape and out of breath.

Wrong. Breath control, for the most part, does not affect the sound one's voice makes, but the ability to sustain that sound. Same with weight; I highly doubt there's fat deposits in the man's throat affecting his ability to sing. Look at Fat Elvis; he still sounded great.

Vocal chords are basically muscles, and like any set of muscles, the more you use them, the stronger they get. It's why Axl almost always sounds better at the end of tour than he does at the beginning. It's a fair critique to suggest that Axl perhaps isn't rehearsing enough prior to the beginning of a tour. Perhaps prior to the 2006 and 2010 tour he was singing often and his voice was good to go. Maybe he never sang a note between the beginning of 2011 and RIR IV?

Maybe it's something more complicated, like health issues or the result of surgeries. We don't know. But saying that he has no rasp because he's out of shape and out of breath is factually incorrect.

• Like 2