Fuck Rasp.

parisrocks

But let's ask a fair question (even if it's been asked before): is it justifiable to expect UYI rasp, or even 2010 rasp, from a mid-50s singer?

Part of me says yes since he has demonstrated it from time to time, even in 2014. Then again, perhaps it's just not feasible a few years on. There are inherent health risks to singing like that. It can build up nodes on your vocal chords, which arguably can increases one's chances of certain forms of cancer.

I don't expect him to sound like he did in his twenties. Nor do I expect him to look the same.

That doesn't mean that an out of breath, unprepared, lyric forgetting fatman in a yellow raincoat is acceptable either.

Plenty of Axl's contemporaries work out, rehearse, and get every bit of help they can to perform to the best of their ability at their age.

The only time Axl has come close to this in recent memory is 2006 - he looked fit, prepared and motivated. The performances were probably the most consistent too.

Since then it has gone horribly downhill in almost every sense. I suppose he has been on time more often but for the most part he looks like he's phoning it in.

• Like 1

But let's ask a fair question (even if it's been asked before): is it justifiable to expect UYI rasp, or even 2010 rasp, from a mid-50s singer?

Part of me says yes since he has demonstrated it from time to time, even in 2014. Then again, perhaps it's just not feasible a few years on. There are inherent health risks to singing like that. It can build up nodes on your vocal chords, which arguably can increases one's chances of certain forms of cancer.

You have a point and no. You can't expect someone like Axl to still sounds the same as 20 years ago (though he also sounded shit 13 years ago). But for the past couple of years the alternative has been atrocious.

Like most people have said, it's not necessarily that people are insistent on the rasp but insistent on him not sounding like he's sucking helium. There are plenty of songs he didn't 'rasp it up' on in the studio, it's not like it's like the only 'Axl Rose voice' right, but the man simply doesn't rehearse, doesn't re-arrange anything, doesn't get himself into shape, he just hits the stage unprepared and that's why you hear him gasping between lines most of the time in recent tours.

I'd love for him to sound like he did in mid-2010 for a long time to come, but it's not gonna happen. But, if he got into shape so he could breathe and maybe slowed the songs down just a hair, he'd sound a lot better with a clean singing voice.

All I know is 2010 was a hell of a lot better than 2014 and rasp is a part of that. It isn't just the rasp though, I think that the rasp is a byproduct or at least a sign of the power and confidence Axl has when he is in shape and in form vocally. We saw glimpses of that at the last couple of 2014 shows in Vegas with a smokin' performance of Prostitute.

All in all people talk about rasp for a reason.