Freddie Mercury/Axl & GNR

Freddie is one of best vocalists ever and one of greatest losses in modern music. His contribution to music is one of the kind and I can see some relation between him and Axl. But he had more courage and will to explore after Queen stopped performing together. Axl sticks to old pattern and claiming to want something different, and never doing it right and complete.

Anyway, it would be huge if they sang together...any song.

And I don't know if they ever met. Seems they didn't.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/artists/guns-n-roses/axl-rose-rather-listen-freddie-mercury-than-myself/

I remember that Freddie once said after being asked if he would like to meet Axl, something like:"Yes,so I could spit in his face!".

As far as I remember it had to be related with One In A Million lyrics.

Edited by Kater

yeah, Freddie was one of the all time best vocalist of all time. He was one of a kind. Pretty sure that's why Queen could never replace him and Paul Rogers doesn't count. lol

I do think Adam Lambert was a good fit for awhile. The kid can sing.

I've always found queen a bit dull and boring, just a band I can never get into

Yeah, I was a big fan in my early teens but after that not that bothered. They have dne some great songs, esp early on, but they were a little too... overproduced later on. Having said that I saw the perform in about 1982, with F Mercury, and he totally owned that stage. He was amazing. He and Axl certainly had stage presence in common, if not a great deal else.

I remember them being a big deal in general. When Freddie Mercury died, as I recall, the news was huge. Absolutely huge. Rock Hudson's death from AIDs was a major story, but Freddie's passing seemed to eclipse that by a longshot. I was an 80s kid and I remember being pretty shaken up by it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that quote about Freddie saying he wanted to spit in Axl's face were true, considering One In a Million. On the other hand, I think they would perhaps have stopped GnR from participating in the memorial, much less performing two of Queen's signature songs, if they felt Freddie would not have approved. Brian May opened for GnR on the leg of the Illusions tour I saw, as well.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

I remember them being a big deal in general. When Freddie Mercury died, as I recall, the news was huge. Absolutely huge. Rock Hudson's death from AIDs was a major story, but Freddie's passing seemed to eclipse that by a longshot. I was an 80s kid and I remember being pretty shaken up by it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that quote about Freddie saying he wanted to spit in Axl's face were true, considering One In a Million. On the other hand, I think they would perhaps have stopped GnR from participating in the memorial, much less performing two of Queen's signature songs, if they felt Freddie would not have approved. Brian May opened for GnR on the leg of the Illusions tour I saw, as well.

There was a big hullabaloo with GNR performing at the Freddie Mercury tribute and at one point, they were not being allowed to play. I believe it was Elton John that convinced the powers that be that they should be allowed to perform.

I've always found queen a bit dull and boring, just a band I can never get into

Yeah, I was a big fan in my early teens but after that not that bothered. They have dne some great songs, esp early on, but they were a little too... overproduced later on. Having said that I saw the perform in about 1982, with F Mercury, and he totally owned that stage. He was amazing. He and Axl certainly had stage presence in common, if not a great deal else.

That's awesome that you saw Queen. I saw Queen+Paul Rodgers a few years back but I imagine it pales in comparison to the real deal. In this youtube age nothing beats seeing the real thing live in person.

There was a big hullabaloo with GNR performing at the Freddie Mercury tribute and at one point, they were not being allowed to play. I believe it was Elton John that convinced the powers that be that they should be allowed to perform.

Interesting! I didn't know that at all. I do remember they were pulled from the big Gay Men's Health Crisis concert in NYC over One in a Million. Was the controversy from the surviving members of Queen or in general? I still have to think that if the other Queen members had been upset about Axl's presence, they could have had the final veto, so I'm guessing it was from the other Powers That Be?

I do remember that Elton John wasn't too happy with Axl over that song either...on the Eddie Trunk interview Axl mentioned that things were tense when they first met, but also mentioned that EJ was fine when he realized that Axl didn't have an issue with his sexuality.

Interesting that two great influences on Axl are gay, and both of them felt offended by him.

It is nice that he settled things with EJ. Probably the same would be with Freddie if he ever had a chance.

And about Tribute concert, Bohemian Rhapsody with Axl and Elton is considered as a best performance on it. And Axl is only one with two songs on that list.

Edited by Kater
  • Like 2

Interesting! I didn't know that at all. I do remember they were pulled from the big Gay Men's Health Crisis concert in NYC over One in a Million. Was the controversy from the surviving members of Queen or in general? I still have to think that if the other Queen members had been upset about Axl's presence, they could have had the final veto, so I'm guessing it was from the other Powers That Be?

I do remember that Elton John wasn't too happy with Axl over that song either...on the Eddie Trunk interview Axl mentioned that things were tense when they first met, but also mentioned that EJ was fine when he realized that Axl didn't have an issue with his sexuality.

From what I remember, it was more the gay community and gay fans of Queen that had an issue. I don't think anyone in Queen did.

I can't remember for certain, though as my memory is fuzzy!

Elton John also defended Eminem years later when Eminem came under fire for some of his perceived anti-gay lyrics. Elton then did a duet with him on the Grammy's as a way of vouching for him, in a manner of speaking

Interesting that two great influences on Axl are gay, and both of them felt offended by him.

It is nice that he settled things with EJ. Probably the same would be with Freddie if he ever had a chance.

And about Tribute concert, Bohemian Rhapsody with Axl and Elton is considered as a best performance on it. And Axl is only one with two songs on that list.

Doesn't he outshine Elton John from the time he spins out on stage onwards? To the last note Axl nailed that part of the song with his raspy voice (and good looks), the crowd went wild when he came out (no pun intended) and he didn't let anyone down. There were some worried that he wouldn't perform as he was having a lot of trouble with his relationship with Stephanie but you wouldn't know it watching him. They thought he might return home.

It is ironic that Elton, or maybe more so Bernie, and Freddie were his idols considering he copped so much over that song. I don't think he was homophobic as such but he had pretty bad sexual experiences with men. Yet his stepfather wasn't gay, he was a paedophile if he did what we believe he did.

Doesn't he outshine Elton John from the time he spins out on stage onwards? To the last note Axl nailed that part of the song with his raspy voice (and good looks), the crowd went wild when he came out (no pun intended) and he didn't let anyone down. There were some worried that he wouldn't perform as he was having a lot of trouble with his relationship with Stephanie but you wouldn't know it watching him. They thought he might return home.

It is ironic that Elton, or maybe more so Bernie, and Freddie were his idols considering he copped so much over that song. I don't think he was homophobic as such but he had pretty bad sexual experiences with men. Yet his stepfather wasn't gay, he was a paedophile if he did what we believe he did.

His appearance on stage yelling :

"So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye?

So you think you can love me and leave me to die?"

was a total blast! It was a pure anger after gentle singing Elton. Maybe it had to be something Stephanie related :D

Axl is too open minded to be homophobic. He is just angry on human injustice.

• Like 1

He delivered one of his best performances at that show. It was epic and no one, even Robert Plant, could have topped it.

He delivered one of his best performances at that show. It was epic and no one, even Robert Plant, could have topped it.

Apparently, Plant demanded that his part has to be excluded from official recording because he was completely unsatisfied with his singing. He had some throat problems.

Apparently, Plant demanded that his part has to be excluded from official recording because he was completely unsatisfied with his singing. He had some throat problems.

Really? I didn't know that. I assume they said no, I remember him performing crazy little thing.

Really? I didn't know that. I assume they said no, I remember him performing crazy little thing.
Yes, but he also performed Innuendo and a snippet from Kashmir, which were excluded from the released version from the show.

Yes, but he also performed Innuendo and a snippet from Kashmir, which were excluded from the released version from the show.

Can't find the article about it, but his Innuendo/Kashmir performance isn't on FMTC DVD, you can only find it on YouTube. There was a mess with technics, his singing, forgetting words...

Can't find the article about it, but his Innuendo/Kashmir performance isn't on FMTC DVD, you can only find it on YouTube. There was a mess with technics, his singing, forgetting words...
It sure looks and sounds like a blatant lack of rehearsals on Innuendo, because he sounds great on Kashmir, and pretty good Crazy Little Thing.