Freddie Mercury/Axl & GNR

Really? I didn't know that. I assume they said no, I remember him performing crazy little thing.

Yes, but he also performed Innuendo and a snippet from Kashmir, which were excluded from the released version from the show.
Can't find the article about it, but his Innuendo/Kashmir performance isn't on FMTC DVD, you can only find it on YouTube. There was a mess with technics, his singing, forgetting words...
It sure looks and sounds like a blatant lack of rehearsals on Innuendo, because he sounds great on Kashmir, and pretty good Crazy Little Thing.

I just watched it and was about to say.. Wow that was an unrehearsed train wreck of a performance. Like you say CLTCL was good though...

I'd like to see the source for the alleged "I'd spit in his face" quote, if possible.

I don't think they ever did meet, but one of the early Axl radio interviews, shortly after the release of Appetite, the DJ and Axl both talk about Queen's last release which was A Kind of Magic and Axl talks about how great it is that Freddie always raises the bar for everyone else and that it gives him a great deal of satisfaction doing so yadayada. Good interview though.

Also, Axl's rendition of We Will Rock You was pretty painful. Bohemian Rhapsody was decent though, definitely the highlight.

Why this isn't on official DVD? Released show is only 1 hour long, they cut many songs, and I'm not talking about pre-concert where bands and singers performed their own material.

And about this what FM said, I've heard it in one of his interviews. Most of them are online, so if there's someone crazy enough to listen all of them on YT...

Why this isn't on official DVD? Released show is only 1 hour long, they cut many songs, and I'm not talking about pre-concert where bands and singers performed their own material.

http://youtu.be/zyVed8lxJs0

And about this what FM said, I've heard it in one of his interviews. Most of them are online, so if there's someone crazy enough to listen all of them on YT...

It is on both the Dvd and the SD Blu Ray. Apart from Innuendo, nothing from the actual show was removed. The songs that were cut were from the opening acts (Spinal Tap, two songs from Extreme and a few songs from Def Leppard mostly).

Doesn't he outshine Elton John from the time he spins out on stage onwards? To the last note Axl nailed that part of the song with his raspy voice (and good looks), the crowd went wild when he came out (no pun intended) and he didn't let anyone down. There were some worried that he wouldn't perform as he was having a lot of trouble with his relationship with Stephanie but you wouldn't know it watching him. They thought he might return home.

It is ironic that Elton, or maybe more so Bernie, and Freddie were his idols considering he copped so much over that song. I don't think he was homophobic as such but he had pretty bad sexual experiences with men. Yet his stepfather wasn't gay, he was a paedophile if he did what we believe he did.

His appearance on stage yelling :

"So you think you can stone me and spit in my eye?

So you think you can love me and leave me to die?"

was a total blast! It was a pure anger after gentle singing Elton. Maybe it had to be something Stephanie related :D

Axl is too open minded to be homophobic. He is just angry on human injustice.

Even that very last note 'any way the wind BLOOOOOOWWWWSSS" his rasp comes out & overpowers Elton. Plus the way he stands there looking down & panting, also the part where he drops the mic stand & faces Brian May. They stand there looking at each other as Axl takes steps towards him - just sends shivers down me thinking about it.

Always laugh when he appears spinning around and around at the beginning, I think he sang We Will Rock You too. I read today that when he started singing Paradise City he yells SHOVE IT at a group of people protesting about him being there due to his 'homophobia'. He wanted to say something after the song but the band asked him not to as it would take away from the atmosphere of it being a tribute to Freddie, not a gnr show. So when Slash did Only Women Bleed you can see Duff hanging around keeping an eye on Axl who looks very mischievious, Boy you'd be on edge wouldn't you. then when he went to the front of the stage Duff shook hands with Axl for holding back and not having a go at the protestors in the front.

• Like 1

Doesn't he outshine Elton John from the time he spins out on stage onwards? To the last note Axl nailed that part of the song with his raspy voice (and good looks), the crowd went wild when he came out (no pun intended) and he didn't let anyone down. There were some worried that he wouldn't perform as he was having a lot of trouble with his relationship with Stephanie but you wouldn't know it watching him. They thought he might return home.

It is ironic that Elton, or maybe more so Bernie, and Freddie were his idols considering he copped so much over that song. I don't think he was homophobic as such but he had pretty bad sexual experiences with men. Yet his stepfather wasn't gay, he was a paedophile if he did what we believe he did.

was a total blast! It was a pure anger after gentle singing Elton. Maybe it had to be something Stephanie related :D

Even that very last note 'any way the wind BLOOOOOOWWWWSSS" his rasp comes out & overpowers Elton. Plus the way he stands there looking down & panting, also the part where he drops the mic stand & faces Brian May. They stand there looking at each other as Axl takes steps towards him - just sends shivers down me thinking about it.

Always laugh when he appears spinning around and around at the beginning, I think he sang We Will Rock You too. I read today that when he started singing Paradise City he yells SHOVE IT at a group of people protesting about him being there due to his 'homophobia'. He wanted to say something after the song but the band asked him not to as it would take away from the atmosphere of it being a tribute to Freddie, not a gnr show. So when Slash did Only Women Bleed you can see Duff hanging around keeping an eye on Axl who looks very mischievious, Boy you'd be on edge wouldn't you. then when he went to the front of the stage Duff shook hands with Axl for holding back and not having a go at the protestors in the front.

All this talking made me watch the whole show (and, yes I was wrong, except Innuendo everything is there. Shame, I love the song...).

Maybe I'm in the special mood today, overwhelmed with childhood memories, but most of the concert sent shivers through me, and expecting of Axl in BH made me almost trembling...We Will Rock You isn't good as BH, but also...weird feeling. He and Elton sounded great together, their voices suit each other well. They looked very friendly, and Axl must have been happy singing with his childhood idol. The end of the show was great, Liza Minelli amazes me every time.

Duff looked as nanny there, but nevertheless of all, Axl had a very happy face!

I know that he personally called Queen management after Freddie died saying that he doesn't know what are their plans, but whatever they'll do he is in and wont disappoint anyone. So all this stories about his eventual leaving the whole thing because of Stephanie seems to be made in someone s fear.

Sorry about this post...I'm in some crazy state at the moment :)

Although I grew up with Queen in the 70s they were one in a heap of groups/singers that consistently were hitting the top of the charts and didn't stand out as being any better. Do you think Freddie's death elevated him to the status he now has?

Don't think so. He was legendary even when he was alive. I was the greatest Queen fan in the 80's.

Probably he hit the legendary status during Live Aid.

Freddie born to be a legend, i fuckin love the Barcelona album.

Freddie was a legend well before he died. I never knew he had any negative opinions of Axl though - if that is an actual quote, it would've broken Axl's heart to hear it.

Sections of the crowd booed Axl at the tribute concert, because of his perceived homophobia. It was definitely a good idea of Axl's not to react on the day.

And Elton John's trend-chasing approval validates nothing. He's shown time and again that he'd sell every ounce of integrity he has to look even slightly relevant. Check out Boy George's opinions on that, he said it best.

Pretty sure they never met. Brian really likes Axl though, apart from the ChiDem sessions, he even jokes about him on the audio commentary of Queen Rock Montreal.

Oh yeah? Do tell pls.

Well, going by memory here, but during Another One Bites The Dust, on the commentary track of QUEEN Rock Montreal, Brian and Roger have a funny reaction about Freddie's outfit. He enters the stage only wearing a cap, a bandana tied around his neck and very short white shorts. Roger comments that "We see Freddie with his rapper's look", to which Brian replies: "He's got a bit of an Axl thing going on", or something along that. And then they laugh :axl:

• Like 1

In an interview, someone (I forget) said that the first time Elton and Axl met for the event, Elton was supposedly furious with Axl and didn't want to perform with him, but Axl's good at being charming and I'm sure he won Elton over pretty quickly.

I always thought Axl sounded a bit too raspy coming in at the end of Bohemian. It doesn't flow with the rest of the performance. He fucked up on We Will Rock You too. He got the tempo wrong and then did this weird high pitched thing to try to cover over his mistake. Makes me cringe every time I hear it. :lol:

• Like 1

I always thought Axl sounded a bit too raspy coming in at the end of Bohemian. It doesn't flow with the rest of the performance. He fucked up on We Will Rock You too. He got the tempo wrong and then did this weird high pitched thing to try to cover over his mistake. Makes me cringe every time I hear it. :lol:

Magisme you've gotta be a girl to not care about that, you males care about how he sounds but us girls just drool over how him no matter what. :P

Edited by rock4eva
  • Like 1

Magisme you've gotta be a girl to not care about that, you males care about how he sounds but us girls just drool over how him no matter what. :P

Simple truth :D

All this talking made me watch the whole show (and, yes I was wrong, except Innuendo everything is there. Shame, I love the song...).

Maybe I'm in the special mood today, overwhelmed with childhood memories, but most of the concert sent shivers through me, and expecting of Axl in BH made me almost trembling...We Will Rock You isn't good as BH, but also...weird feeling. He and Elton sounded great together, their voices suit each other well. They looked very friendly, and Axl must have been happy singing with his childhood idol. The end of the show was great, Liza Minelli amazes me every time.

Duff looked as nanny there, but nevertheless of all, Axl had a very happy face!

I know that he personally called Queen management after Freddie died saying that he doesn't know what are their plans, but whatever they'll do he is in and wont disappoint anyone. So all this stories about his eventual leaving the whole thing because of Stephanie seems to be made in someone s fear.

Sorry about this post...I'm in some crazy state at the moment :)

You were wrong about what? You seemed to know it off by heart the way you wrote the lyrics out.

It was in the latest book by Axl's personal assistant who's name escapes me at 3am who said they were worried Axl would go home due to some upset over SS. Maybe she was starting to see someone else - I'll check the book tomorrow.

I heard him in an interview talk about his first time meeting Elton and how nervous he was & uncomfortable Elton was. Than Elton burst out saying "I'm gay" and Axl looked at him and said "yeah I know, now how are we going to do this & that" which I can imagine was quite funny. Not the reaction Elton was expecting, it might have been on youtube in the audio interviews on radio or something.

Hubba Bubba although I like many of Elton's songs I watched a show where he had a few tantrums & took a dislike to that behavour, he also came to Australia & walked on stage & sat down not talking or saying hello to the audience. He stormed off as he said a moth flew in his mouth but recently I heard a moth got caught in his wig or something like that. Strange that I see him as a bad tempered little man who yells when can't get his own way but find it rather amusing when Axl did it. :shrugs:

I can understand that. He used to stir up all sorts of the gay feelings in me. :lol:

I can understand that. He used to stir up all sorts of the gay feelings in me. :lol:

Just: LOL :D

(are you felling better now when you said it in public?) :);)

So you're the guy that jumped on stage & danced with Axl & BBF during a song - you got 'a little bit excited'

GO Magisme :lol:

• Like 1

Axl and Freddie never met. I'd be willing to put money on that. Freddie had already become sick and a bit of a recluse by the time Guns got big. I'm pretty sure there are no quotes from Freddie regarding Axl, especially not spitting in his face. That doesn't even sound like Freddie.

Freddie is one of best vocalists ever and one of greatest losses in modern music. His contribution to music is one of the kind and I can see some relation between him and Axl. But he had more courage and will to explore after Queen stopped performing together. Axl sticks to old pattern and claiming to want something different, and never doing it right and complete.

Anyway, it would be huge if they sang together...any song.

And I don't know if they ever met. Seems they didn't.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/artists/guns-n-roses/axl-rose-rather-listen-freddie-mercury-than-myself/

I remember that Freddie once said after being asked if he would like to meet Axl, something like:"Yes,so I could spit in his face!".

As far as I remember it had to be related with One In A Million lyrics.

Bolded part: What? You do realize Queen stayed together even after Freddie's death? John Deacon left in 1997 and they released an album with Freddie's vocals in 1995.

Edited by luciusfunk

I'm just gonna leave these here:

God, I know this medley by heart, but the Keep Yourself Alive riff and Nuno's licks during Another One Bites The Dust give me chills every time.

Edit: spelling.

Edited by EvH
  • Like 1

I've always found queen a bit dull and boring, just a band I can never get into

Yeah, I was a big fan in my early teens but after that not that bothered. They have dne some great songs, esp early on, but they were a little too... overproduced later on. Having said that I saw the perform in about 1982, with F Mercury, and he totally owned that stage. He was amazing. He and Axl certainly had stage presence in common, if not a great deal else.

That's awesome that you saw Queen. I saw Queen+Paul Rodgers a few years back but I imagine it pales in comparison to the real deal. In this youtube age nothing beats seeing the real thing live in person.

Yes, it was awesome. I was only about 17 or 18 and, tbh, it was just 'another gig' for me back then but when Freddie came on it elevated the whole thing. He was swinging off this scaffolding, in leathers. It was at Leeds, Roundhay Park (UK)

Edited by BetterDay7

I wish Axl and co had done an official Queen cover back in the day, yeah I know ya can't ask more than Axl and Elton fucking John doing Bohemian and him killing We Will Rock You in a packed Wembley celebrating the great man. Heck Sail Away Sweet Sister during UYI, amazing but a studio version of Axl and classic GNR doing Staying Power, White Queen or whatever... already have plenty of Queen within the GNR mythos but there you go.

I wish Axl and co had done an official Queen cover back in the day, yeah I know ya can't ask more than Axl and Elton fucking John doing Bohemian and him killing We Will Rock You in a packed Wembley celebrating the great man. Heck Sail Away Sweet Sister during UYI, amazing but a studio version of Axl and classic GNR doing Staying Power, White Queen or whatever... already have plenty of Queen within the GNR mythos but there you go.

Agreed. I was really siked to hear that rumour about a Queen cover during the last tour. Shame it never happened.