What Are You Listening To 2015.

Zint

I fucking love and adore The Shangri La's!

'She (mother) grew so lonely in the end that the angels picked her for a friend''!

This is the era of Jan and Dean!!

Did one of them actually have a crash on Dead Mans Curve or was that just urban legend?

I have heard the story about Mary Weiss gun running.

I fucking love and adore The Shangri La's!

'She (mother) grew so lonely in the end that the angels picked her for a friend''!

This is the era of Jan and Dean!!

Did one of them actually have a crash on Dead Mans Curve or was that just urban legend?

I have heard the story about Mary Weiss gun running.

Well she does come from the same neighbourhood as 50 Cent!

Queens? They all have thick New York accents which is one of the reasons that set The Shangri-Las from the other, more demure, girl groups of that era. One of the distinctive aspects of their music is the talking so this is important.

Specifically Jamaica Queens. Shangri La's always felt more coarse and common than your Ronettes. The talking, the sound effects, there was a distinctly urban feel to it all too. Big influence on some of the very early NY punks too like New York Dolls, Ramones etc. Johnny Thunders as well as The Dolls did a great cover of Great Big Kiss, its why in The Spaghetti Incident in his Thunders tribute Duff is found saying 'hey Johnny what colour are her eyes?' In the Thunders version he goes 'i dunno, shes always wearing shades!'

I got my first Shangri La's album on cassette in a church fete.

Edited by Len B'stard