The Vault - food for thought

I'm not sure Axl is quite the freak of nature Prince is, but this article is a fascinating read:

http://m.bbc.com/news/magazine-31962180

"Susan Rogers recalls Prince's real-life heartbreak being the inspiration for a particularly magical night of recording: He came into studio and recorded this ballad. It starts with spoken word. Prince is speaking to Wally, a dancer in his crew. He's telling him, "I want go out tonight and meet someone new." He goes into this chorus. It's beautiful, just beautiful. There's a crescendo. The song gets huge. It breaks down. He says, "I'm not going out any more." The background vocal arrangements, the expression of it was just gorgeous. Of course he played all the instruments. We finished recording the song and then Prince said to me, "Erase it."' He said it very calmly. I could feel the fan in me screaming "No!" I said, "Think about it. Wait til tomorrow at least." He reached over and hit record. He erased it. It was gone."

Edited by HubbaBubba
  • Like 1

Well... Prince is known for just letting the recorder on for hours while he does whatever it is, right? I don't know if Axl ever reached that level, but if he didn't, I'd bet it was close. All the stuff we've heard so far... Tom Zutaut said Axl once had over 70 demos. And according to that Geffen dude there were about 40 CDs of the band playing, so I'd assume those 70 songs were not mere jams. But well, who knows?

I'm pretty sure Axl keeps everything he does. I think in a few interviews Axl or maybe that Beta interview, they have mentioned having the "old stuff" or originals still.

If Axl decides to record his voice then it's for keeps. Not to just hear himself sing. Look how hard it is to get him in the studio at all. the 70 demos or whatever are mostly instrumental. In that Brain interview he said how rare it was to hear Axl's vocals on anything. They would send him CD's of instrumental jams and they wouldn't hear the jams again unless Axl decided to put vocals on it.

So I think Axl takes his studio time very serious, and I don't see him deleting a completed project. If it's not completed before he goes into the studio then he's not going in, but like everything I say. I could be wrong.

• Like 1

Didn't someone confirm that there is infact a physical vault? I wonder if it is literally a bank vault like Prince's.

That would be awesome!

Not really, it makes it harder for some nutcase to break into it and leak the tracks :lol:

• Like 1

more news on this, it might get wild.

Although it's a fairly known fact thatPrince has quite a few unreleased songs in his legendary vault, it has now been revealed that the man has enough of them to put out a brand new album every year until sometime in the 22nd century.

"[...] It became an obsession. I wanted us to have everything he'd ever recorded. I called up the studios he’d been using and said: 'Have you got any Prince tapes?' This is his legacy. We need to protect these things.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/at_this_moment_prince_has_enough_unreleased_music_to_put_out_an_album_a_year_until_sometime_in_22nd_century.html

I would love to hear some more of the Tobias material. Some of the most compelling and most GNR of the CD material was the Axl/Tobias numbers. They seemed to be steeped the most in the traditional classic GNR sound whereas Finck and Bucket's stuff was more of a new age industrial hybrid fusion. Paul's stuff sounds epic and Huge. Lets face it, in reality all this dude did was literally save GNR yet all he takes is heat. Judged purely in terms of overall musical contribution you gotta give the guy his due. I hope he stays involved in GNR's creative process.

Edited by Mr. Dude
  • Like 1

I would love to hear some more of the Tobias material. Some of the most compelling and most GNR of the CD material was the Axl/Tobias numbers. They seemed to be steeped the most in the traditional classic GNR sound whereas Finck and Bucket's stuff was more of a new age industrial hybrid fusion. Paul's stuff sounds epic and Huge. Lets face it, in reality all this dude did was literally save GNR yet all he takes is heat. Judged purely in terms of overall musical contribution you gotta give the guy his due. I hope he stays involved in GNR's creative process.

I'm with you. I'm all for hearing anything Tobias contributed

But the thing is, Prince has released 25 studio albums since the 80'.

Exactly

I just wish Prince had more artistic integrity like Axl does, and that he would only release one album per decade. Nobody wants to hear all that filler.

Imagine if instead of 25 albums, Prince had only released five albums since the 80s? Take every 5 albums and shrink it down to one album of the best songs and release it every eight years.

I would just respect Prince more if he a bit more integrity. Stop ripping off your fans by releasing so much music. Jeez.

Exactly

I just wish Prince had more artistic integrity like Axl does, and that he would only release one album per decade. Nobody wants to hear all that filler.

Imagine if instead of 25 albums, Prince had only released five albums since the 80s? Take every 5 albums and shrink it down to one album of the best songs and release it every eight years.

I would just respect Prince more if he a bit more integrity. Stop ripping off your fans by releasing so much music. Jeez.

That's not what i was saying, sorry but your statement is horseshit.

Exactly

It's all true, bub. Axl has more integrity in his left ball than prince has in his entire body.

I just thank Axl and God that GnR didn't go the prince route (or Slash route) and release tons of music. Quality over quantity.

Lol look at the Rolling Stones. Those sell out money hungry whores released 20 albums I'm their first 20 years of existence. Just no integrity and ripping off their fans for cash. Those 20 albums should have just been three albums total. Three greatest guys albums instead of hundreds of filler and mediocre songs.

Exactly

It's all true, bub. Axl has more integrity in his left ball than prince has in his entire body.

I just thank Axl and God that GnR didn't go the prince route (or Slash route) and release tons of music. Quality over quantity.

Lol look at the Rolling Stones. Those sell out money hungry whores released 20 albums I'm their first 20 years of existence. Just no integrity and ripping off their fans for cash. Those 20 albums should have just been three albums total. Three greatest guys albums instead of hundreds of filler and mediocre songs.

Not saying who has more integrity neither.

You say that Slash released tons of music, this is also horseshit. And why the fuck Slash has to do with this?

The fact is, Axl has released with new guns one album and one song in 17 years (with fillers), this is atrociously sad. And I love CD the same way i love Appetite or UYI.

Well like I keep harping on about whenever it comes to an issue like this, and it's one of the only bits of insight we have to apply to a large frame; Bumblefoot said he played a solo on Atlas Shrugged years ago but has no idea what happened to it and has heard jack shit since then regarding the status of the song.

I can take a dump in a box, lock it in "the vault" for 20-30 years and it would be less repulsive when revealed than what Axl supposedly has locked away.

I'll take my chances with what Axl has in his vault...

• Like 2

I can take a dump in a box, lock it in "the vault" for 20-30 years and it would be less repulsive when revealed than what Axl supposedly has locked away.

You know something the rest of us don't dude?? Don't bogart it man. Pass it over to me and everybody else here. I'd like to hear about it and also, where you got your inside poop about Axls stash. I, for one, have a feeling there's plenty of awesome music sitting there waiting to be dropped when it's the right time. Only reason why I think that way is exactly because Axl himself said he always saw CD as a double album with a 3rd release to finish off the movie playing in Axls head. Plus the stuff a heck of a lot of other guys on the inside and in the know have said including BBF saying he worked on a solo for "Atlas Shrugged" and never heard about the song again and also Mario Beltrami. There's just got to be some high quality gems in there somewhere. I just wish Axl would follow through on what he himself said about us getting an CD and then the next album dropping 3-4 years later, followed by the supposed 3rd album a couple or three years after that one to end the journey/movie/story/trilogy.

If you ever read this, please do this soon Axl.

Your most loyal and literally, die-hard, lifelong fans are dying to hear new music from you.

Plenty of us "little people not on a power-trip" still believe in your seriously gifted musical ear and talent dude...

You know something the rest of us don't dude?? Don't bogart it man. Pass it over to me and everybody else here. I'd like to hear about it and also, where you got your inside poop about Axls stash. I, for one, have a feeling there's plenty of awesome music sitting there waiting to be dropped when it's the right time. Only reason why I think that way is exactly because Axl himself said he always saw CD as a double album with a 3rd release to finish off the movie playing in Axls head. Plus the stuff a heck of a lot of other guys on the inside and in the know have said including BBF saying he worked on a solo for "Atlas Shrugged" and never heard about the song again and also Mario Beltrami. There's just got to be some high quality gems in there somewhere. I just wish Axl would follow through on what he himself said about us getting an CD and then the next album dropping 3-4 years later, followed by the supposed 3rd album a couple or three years after that one to end the journey/movie/story/trilogy.

If you ever read this, please do this soon Axl.

Your most loyal and literally, die-hard, lifelong fans are dying to hear new music from you.

Plenty of us "little people not on a power-trip" still believe in your seriously gifted musical ear and talent dude...

That's the point. All i know is if i die before some of this get a release then i'll be a very very VERY angry ghost.

• Like 1