George Carlin Appreciation Thread

Facekicker

Met Carlin in high school, about three years before he died. As an outwardly observant Jew, I was nervous that his aggressively atheist character might actually have been him and that he'd be cold or aloof. As I walked up to the table at Barnes & Nobel he looked up, saw me, and said "hey have you gotten to the part in the book about the hip hop Jew who wears his yarmulke sidewise? You're gonna love it." We had a lovely chat about his old bit about his dog raping his cat, and I went on my way. My signed copy of When Will Jesus Bring The Porkchops is among my more prized possessions, and I cherish that memory. Miss that dude, one of the all-time comedy greats.

• Like 2

Between him, Richard Pryor and Lenny Bruce you have brilliantly encapsulating the most endearing aspects of the post war American national character, its people like that that i point to when everyone starts to have a 'lets cane America' circle-jerk.

Stand up comedy is really the popular last bastion of totally unadulterated freedom of speech/expression in our culture.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

He was kind of a miserable old git later in his life but I like him all the same.

He was always a miserable git! That was his thing. He complained. That was his gag when he was young, middle-aged, old... I expect he spends most of his time ragging on St. Peter about who he lets through the gates now, too. That's just George being George.

Just fucking gold. The guy could zero in on all the bullshit and then cut through it like a laser.

What a pity he isn't around today to tell a few truths.

His truths are timeless, seamless, and universal. He doesn't have to be here to comment on things. He already has.

Legend, one of the best to ever do it.