E3 2015 Thread

downzy

its at 1.4 mil now, how didnt sony or microsoft jump at the opportunity to do shenmue 3?

I'm thinking Sony will co-fund it, no way it'll cost $2 million or even $4 million to produce.

And this isn't really Microsoft's target market, they're more focused on Halo and Gears of War.

I think backwards compatibility is a huge deal. I have yet to upgrade due to the fact that I have so many games sitting on my XBOX 360 hard drive that have yet to be played. I would imagine that many others find themselves in a similar position. If most of the games we own can be played on a newly purchased Xbox One, that's going to motivate a lot of people to upgrade.

I agree here, if it had it at launch I wouldn't have looked twice at the PS4. I think it could be a problem though cos a lot of people I know who upgraded traded in all their old stuff to bring the costs down so it may not draw people who switched back (like me).

Not very impressed with Sony's showcase tonight. Very little in the way of exclusive content. Does Sony have any exclusive AAA games coming out this year?

Granted I'm only fifteen minutes in, but there have been three "surprises", bringing back arguably the most anticipated limbo game in The Last Guardian which is exclusive, and that new IP Horizon, also exclusive. The new Hitman was a premiere as well, obviously not exclusive but found this a hell of a lot more exciting than "New Halo, New Gears...". Now I fully appreciate that not having an Xbox makes it harder to appreciate those games, but I wasn't excited by the last few of them on my 360. Xbox played it safe, and it was solid, but from what I've seen Sony

And then Street Fighter V is console exclusive too :lol: Come on downzy. No Man's Sky, also exclusive. Fair enough I'm sure a handful of these are 2016, but that's already four out of the first five games have been PS4 exclusive.

Not very impressed with Sony's showcase tonight. Very little in the way of exclusive content. Does Sony have any exclusive AAA games coming out this year?

Granted I'm only fifteen minutes in, but there have been three "surprises", bringing back arguably the most anticipated limbo game in The Last Guardian which is exclusive, and that new IP Horizon, also exclusive. The new Hitman was a premiere as well, obviously not exclusive but found this a hell of a lot more exciting than "New Halo, New Gears...". Now I fully appreciate that not having an Xbox makes it harder to appreciate those games, but I wasn't excited by the last few of them on my 360. Xbox played it safe, and it was solid, but from what I've seen Sony

And then Street Fighter V is console exclusive too :lol: Come on downzy. No Man's Sky, also exclusive. Fair enough I'm sure a handful of these are 2016, but that's already four out of the first five games have been PS4 exclusive.

Again, none of those games are coming out this year. I guess there's some excitement there if you're looking forward to 2016 or later, but as far as this year goes, what can Sony offer that Xbox can't in terms of exclusive gaming experiences?

Not sure why you were surprised by Last of the Guardians; most knew that game was likely going to be showing up this year. Sony's Worldwide studio boss announced earlier this year that they were waiting for the right time to re-introduce the game; while e3insider.com had listed it as something that would be highlighted in Sony's press conference.

As someone who just finished the last Tomb Raider, seeing the new one in action was probably the most exciting thing game wise. That and the halolens. I don't care much for the Halo or Gears of War series. Only other game from Microsoft coming out this year that has me interested in is Forza 6.

So not a lot on both sides, but my decision as to when to buy a PS4 has been pushed back considerably. Definitely getting a Xbox One first based on what's going to be available for the system this year.

Again, none of those games are coming out this year. I guess there's some excitement there if you're looking forward to 2016 or later, but as far as this year goes, what can Sony offer that Xbox can't in terms of exclusive gaming experiences?

Not sure why you were surprised by Last of the Guardians; most knew that game was likely going to be showing up this year. Sony's Worldwide studio boss announced earlier this year that they were waiting for the right time to re-introduce the game; while e3insider.com had listed it as something that would be highlighted in Sony's press conference.

As someone who just finished the last Tomb Raider, seeing the new one in action was probably the most exciting thing game wise. That and the halolens. I don't care much for the Halo or Gears of War series. Only other game from Microsoft coming out this year that has me interested in is Forza 6.

So not a lot on both sides, but my decision as to when to buy a PS4 has been pushed back considerably. Definitely getting a Xbox One first based on what's going to be available for the system this year.

Not many of the games at last year's E3 came out this year either, it seems to be a trend. Reading the general consensus, Sony killed it. As for Last Guardian, I deliberately avoid spoilers, but there's been rumours of the game showing up every year for the last five since it went into development hell. I'm looking forward to Tomb Raider, but it's a timed exclusive. The PS4 version will likely come out with the DLC already packaged, so no concern there, especially considering it comes out the same day as Fallout 4 (packaging that with Fallout 3 means nothing to me, and the mods are cool I guess?). Rare Replay is a cool thing for the price but nothing new, and the new Rare game looked fun. Forza 6 looked good, Gears and Halo do nothing for me and by the sounds of things there's a complete lack of excitement with a lot of people. Cuphead looks tremendous, but it was announced last year too. They just played it safe, nothing wrong with it, but there was nothing in Microsoft's press conference that was ballsy or out there. I thought it was all pretty alright, probably even go up to 7/10.

So based on that, I don't really know how Sony are offering so much less? It seems Sony has the backing of more third party developers too, and there were three mic-drops that show they're actually listening to fans with Last Guardian, Final Fantasy VII and Shenmue. Certainly the first hour had myself and the majority (the likes of IGN, Gamespot and GameTrailers anyway) way more excited than Microsoft, though Sony did fizzle out a bit towards the end. I think they should've opened with the Uncharted gameplay.

I'm going with 7/10 so far Microsoft, and 8/10 possibly 8.5/10 for Sony. If you're basing your decision to buy a console on what's coming out in the next six months rather than the long run then I don't know what to tell you. Delayed gratification my friend.

Except I've never enjoyed Uncharted games, and I've never understood Japanese games like Shenmue. Essentially, Sony's showcase was great if you care about old-school games coming back, like Shenmue and FF7. I never got into either of those series so they don't speak to me. I think you're right in that for hardcore gamers Sony did a better job appealing to them, but for casual gamers, I don't see much offered by Sony for 2015.

Like I said, I'll be getting both consoles (I always do), but for now, there's nothing in Sony's arsenal that does anything for me (save for The Last Guardian). If Microsoft can expand the list of backward compatible games and Forza 6 and Rise of the Tomb Raider perform like they promise, the choice seems relatively simple for what system I'll be picking up first. Had the new Mad Max game or Tom Clancy's The Division been Sony exclusives I would be changing my tune. But since most of the games I want to play are cross-platform, I'll be purchasing the system first with the better controller and has more functionality with respect to my home entertainment setup.

Except I've never enjoyed Uncharted games, and I've never understood Japanese games like Shenmue. Essentially, Sony's showcase was great if you care about old-school games coming back, like Shenmue and FF7. I never got into either of those series so they don't speak to me. I think you're right in that for hardcore gamers Sony did a better job appealing to them, but for casual gamers, I don't see much offered by Sony for 2015.

Like I said, I'll be getting both consoles (I always do), but for now, there's nothing in Sony's arsenal that does anything for me (save for The Last Guardian). If Microsoft can expand the list of backward compatible games and Forza 6 and Rise of the Tomb Raider perform like they promise, the choice seems relatively simple for what system I'll be picking up first. Had the new Mad Max game or Tom Clancy's The Division been Sony exclusives I would be changing my tune. But since most of the games I want to play are cross-platform, I'll be purchasing the system first with the better controller and has more functionality with respect to my home entertainment setup.

Controller wise I find the Dualshock 4 considerably better, but that new Xbox controller looked very cool, particularly for the likes of Forza. I think with Sony having extra stuff for Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Batman, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy and so on is a big win in the third party aspects. Xbox have done well to get themselves back up to speed after the car crash of two years ago, but I don't think either console really has an absolute hardware seller like Halo 3/Gears sold the Xbox 360. I don't mean to say that the Xbox conference was shit and the Sony one was wonderful, I just felt Sony had the more "Oh shit!" moments and was a bit more out there, which they can afford to be after gaining a bit of a lead this generation. Most of the stuff Xbox showed was cool, and Hololens is just amazing (though again, I doubt it's going be particularly accessible).

On a side note, it is incredibly refreshing to see the majority of games actually getting gameplay trailers or live demonstrations. I'd rather the odd hiccup with live gameplay than CGI trailer after CGI trailer like the last few years. Hoping for some big announcements from Nintendo later too, and maybe some more Final Fantasy VII stuff from the Square Enix conference. It's been a great E3 so far.

Controller wise I find the Dualshock 4 considerably better, but that new Xbox controller looked very cool, particularly for the likes of Forza. I think with Sony having extra stuff for Assassin's Creed, Hitman, Batman, Call of Duty, Final Fantasy and so on is a big win in the third party aspects. Xbox have done well to get themselves back up to speed after the car crash of two years ago, but I don't think either console really has an absolute hardware seller like Halo 3/Gears sold the Xbox 360. I don't mean to say that the Xbox conference was shit and the Sony one was wonderful, I just felt Sony had the more "Oh shit!" moments and was a bit more out there, which they can afford to be after gaining a bit of a lead this generation. Most of the stuff Xbox showed was cool, and Hololens is just amazing (though again, I doubt it's going be particularly accessible).

On a side note, it is incredibly refreshing to see the majority of games actually getting gameplay trailers or live demonstrations. I'd rather the odd hiccup with live gameplay than CGI trailer after CGI trailer like the last few years. Hoping for some big announcements from Nintendo later too, and maybe some more Final Fantasy VII stuff from the Square Enix conference. It's been a great E3 so far.

Like everything we've been talking about, it's all relative. For me, PS's Dualshock controller is too small and less comfortable in my hands. I find I have to bend my knuckles more to initiate many of the buttons on a dualshock controller. Plus I've always hated where Sony locates the left analog stick; makes more sense (to me, at least) where Microsoft has it on the controller for Xbox.

And again, your "oh shit" moments weren't mine. FF7 and Shenmue do nothing for me, as I imagine most casual gamers would feel the same. The Last Guardian looks great, but that's pretty much it. We all knew Uncharted was going to be there, and if they open the game up a bit then I might be on board. For me, it felt as though Sony based their presentation on retreading old games.

This article over at CNet pretty much sums up how I felt after watching Sony's presentation: http://www.cnet.com/news/sony-playstation-4-e3-2015-press-conference/

Nintendo's presentation was disappointingly bad. They announcedone Wii U game we didn't already know about, and it was Mario Tennis. Almost makes me wonder if this wave of Wii U games (Zelda, Yoshi, Xenoblade, Mario Maker, Star Fox) is their last and the NX will actually be a new home console. I'll be pretty upset if I got a console they only actually supported for 3 years.

Best new game was the Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario crossover. I love both series so I'm really looking forward to that. Star Fox looked fun, but I've never been a fan of the series. I still think the SMTxFE game looks really fun (not in terms of gameplay since we've seen next to none, but in terms of general attitude) and colorful, and Xenoblade looks fantastic as ever (glad it's coming this year). Most of the games we already knew about look really good, actually. I just wish there was more there we didn't already know about.

Am I seriously going to walk away from E3 with the best-looking newly revealed game being some shit called Cuphead?

Nintendo's presentation was disappointingly bad. They announcedone Wii U game we didn't already know about, and it was Mario Tennis. Almost makes me wonder if this wave of Wii U games (Zelda, Yoshi, Xenoblade, Mario Maker, Star Fox) is their last and the NX will actually be a new home console. I'll be pretty upset if I got a console they only actually supported for 3 years.

Best new game was the Mario & Luigi/Paper Mario crossover. I love both series so I'm really looking forward to that. Star Fox looked fun, but I've never been a fan of the series. I still think the SMTxFE game looks really fun (not in terms of gameplay since we've seen next to none, but in terms of general attitude) and colorful, and Xenoblade looks fantastic as ever (glad it's coming this year). Most of the games we already knew about look really good, actually. I just wish there was more there we didn't already know about.

Am I seriously going to walk away from E3 with the best-looking newly revealed game being some shit called Cuphead?

I wouldn't be surprised to see what happened when Nintendo was transitioning from the Gamecube to the Wii. Twilight Princess was initially designed for the Gamecube but ported to the Wii U.

Not sure why Nintendo would design another console at this point. What can they really offer in terms of a system that Sony or Microsoft can't? Sure, they have their IPs, but will they be enough to support another console? It doesn't seem to be the case for the Wii U as of yet relative to the success of the PS4 and Xbox One.

Essentially Microsofts conference was good if you're into their games that are already exclusives that everyone knew sequels would be coming out for.

The backwards compatibility is "biggest" thing for them, and honestly, the more I think about it, the less I really care about it.

I mean when it comes down to it, Xbox fans are going to most likely love Microsofts conference, and same goes for Playstation fans with the Sony conference. Neither one had anything hugely innovative (Project Morpheus is still very interesting) to be honest.

Uncharted 4 is as exciting as Halo and Gears. Stuff we knew was coming and existing fans are excited for them and that's about it. If Sony is retreading then what did Microsoft do, with their two biggest games being Halo and Gears?

I wouldn't be surprised to see what happened when Nintendo was transitioning from the Gamecube to the Wii. Twilight Princess was initially designed for the Gamecube but ported to the Wii U.

Not sure why Nintendo would design another console at this point. What can they really offer in terms of a system that Sony or Microsoft can't? Sure, they have their IPs, but will they be enough to support another console? It doesn't seem to be the case for the Wii U as of yet relative to the success of the PS4 and Xbox One.

I still think it's possible the new console is a handheld, and the timetable would be pretty on-point with past ones (GBA to DS and DS to 3DS).

I really liked Square Enix's conference. I'm a fan of JRPG's and they have 7 coming out, which is an absolutely massive number for this era of video games. Looks like I'll have to get a PS4 for those and Horizon.

Cuphead was revealed last year too :awesomeface: I think you're probably right about the Wii U though. Mario Maker rids Nintendo of any need to release a 2d Mario game since there will be hundreds of new levels each day, and you'd assume at least some of them will be good and not just cluster fucks. It's actually reminded me a bit of Super Meat Boy funnily enough. I can't believe they had the nerve to show the awful Metroid and Zelda multiplayer things. I imagine there'll still be another Pokemon on the 3DS, but you'd be hoping for another Zelda too. And honestly, where is Metroid?

I've only played Paper Mario: TTYD and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga but really enjoyed both, so that crossover should be cool.

Cuphead was revealed last year too :awesomeface: I think you're probably right about the Wii U though. Mario Maker rids Nintendo of any need to release a 2d Mario game since there will be hundreds of new levels each day, and you'd assume at least some of them will be good and not just cluster fucks. It's actually reminded me a bit of Super Meat Boy funnily enough. I can't believe they had the nerve to show the awful Metroid and Zelda multiplayer things. I imagine there'll still be another Pokemon on the 3DS, but you'd be hoping for another Zelda too. And honestly, where is Metroid?

I've only played Paper Mario: TTYD and Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga but really enjoyed both, so that crossover should be cool.

I think it's likely that Retro Studios (Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns games) is working on Metroid Prime 4 or something similar, it's just a huge wonder why Nintendo didn't opt to show it (or whatever they're working on). I also thought the Zelda game looked really bad, but the gameplay during the Treehouse afterward looked pretty good, I thought. Most 3DS games tend to look really ugly in their presentations. I think the resolution is messed up during them, and they all tend to look a lot better on an actual 3DS.

I'm curious what the NX actually will be. My best guess is that it'll be both a handheld and a home console. I think the two are going to be inseparable going forward. It just seems to be the way things are heading.

I think it's likely that Retro Studios (Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns games) is working on Metroid Prime 4 or something similar, it's just a huge wonder why Nintendo didn't opt to show it (or whatever they're working on). I also thought the Zelda game looked really bad, but the gameplay during the Treehouse afterward looked pretty good, I thought. Most 3DS games tend to look really ugly in their presentations. I think the resolution is messed up during them, and they all tend to look a lot better on an actual 3DS.

I'm curious what the NX actually will be. My best guess is that it'll be both a handheld and a home console. I think the two are going to be inseparable going forward. It just seems to be the way things are heading.

You'd think the 3DS is made for a traditional Metroid, it just baffles me. They skipped over the N64 too didn't they? You're right, they need a better way of showing 3DS games, but I can't really think of a (re)solution off the top of my head. That Zelda does nothing for me, I don't even consider it a Zelda, let's be honest here.

What are people's thoughts on the best showing at E3? Let's say there's two awards, best new game (totally unseen before), and best game we already knew about. In my opinion, best entirely new game was Horizon, looks like a really cool and unique thing. I can't say much about Recore since we didn't see any gameplay, but honourable mentions to Sea of Thieves and Ghost Recon. The best game we already knew about probably has to go to Fallout 4, though there were few games we expected to see that disappointed to be perfectly honest. Strong solid showing at E3 this year, the best in years. I liked Bethesda's conference style of "We only have a few games, but here's extended gameplay demos of all of them." Overall it was a nice change from CGI trailer after CGI trailer.

Xbox One's backwards compatibility is a much needed and much welcome feature. Now I can finally sell my 360 from taking up space and keep the few games I might play again down the line.

No you can't. There will be only 100 360 games supported initially, and it looks like it's just gonna be horrid like it kinda was with the backward compatibility with the 360.

They must emulate each 360 game before you can play it on your xbox one. Keep your 360.

Edited by Rovim

Xbox One's backwards compatibility is a much needed and much welcome feature. Now I can finally sell my 360 from taking up space and keep the few games I might play again down the line.

No you can't. There will be only 100 360 games supported initially, and it looks like it's just gonna be horrid like it kinda was with the backward compatibility with the 360.

They must emulate each 360 game before you can play it on your xbox one. Keep your 360.

Yeah, Mass Effect 360 runs pretty damn slowly on XOne so far (about 15-20fps in combat).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-backwards-compatibility-on-xbox-one

Yeah, Mass Effect 360 runs pretty damn slowly on XOne so far (about 15-20fps in combat).

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-backwards-compatibility-on-xbox-one

That's because Microsoft did it as an afterthought. You gotta put it in the hardware like Nintendo did with the Wii U.

It's a shitty way of doing it for Xbox one and I would say even misleading. Why do it at all? cause they need something to attract more customers.

It can't even use all the power the Xbox one has as they need to figure out how to emulate every game for a new architecture. Fuck that shit man.