5 Seconds Of Summer look to GN'R for inspiration on upcoming tour.

5sos_zpss1tn68v4.jpg

Dates: July 17th-September 13th

Opener: Hey Violet

Why You Should Go: 5 Seconds of Summer grew as a band by opening for One Direction across the world for two summers straight. The Australian pop-punkers have since found their own way, riding high on the success of their smash single "She Looks So Perfect" and self-titled debut. Now the quartet — who are all between the ages of 18 and 21 — have embarked on their first tour as headliners and are looking back to the Eighties for some arena-rock inspiration. "[i've] been watching a lot of [VH1's Behind the Music]," reveals lead singer Luke Hemmings. "Like the Guns N' Roses one, the Poison one, Bon Jovi. I've been looking to those bands and what they do with stages, like how Axl Rose will command a whole stadium." For the Rock Out With Your Socks Out Tour, Hemmings notes that their vibe is mostly to create a sense of intimacy with everything from the setup to the lighting. "It's an arena-level theater show."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/summer-2015s-30-hottest-tours-20150518#ixzz3aogYbQMZ
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Regardless of whether you like this band or its music, it's a least nice to see a younger generation paying respect to GNR and other bands from 80s metal scene. For most of the 90s and early 2000s bands like GNR were almost never mentioned when it came to influences.

It seems as though time and history has validated much of what was once discredited or looked down upon.

• Like 3

Regardless of whether you like this band or its music, it's a least nice to see a younger generation paying respect to GNR and other bands from 80s metal scene. For most of the 90s and early 2000s bands like GNR were almost never mentioned when it came to influences.

It seems as though time and history has validated much of what was once discredited or looked down upon.

Every cloud has a silver lining I suppose.

These guys still suck many, many dicks though :lol:

• Like 1

Bands who say they get Inspired by GNR or Aerosmith or Led Zep, I expect them to play some good Rock music and not some shitty punk pop stuff, but well I can just give my opinion, What will I hear next? One Direction is also inspired by GNR? My suggestion to the singer of this band would be that don't turn out to be like Axl Rose HAHAHA, but well bands like GNR, Aerosmith, Led Zep, Deep Purple have so much of strength in their music and so much talent that they will never be forgotten, these new pop punk bands come and go

Pop-Punk? They're a bubblegum pop boy band with guitars. They literally are One Direction with instruments...and they're huge now apparently.

Even Poison and Bon Jovi are embarrassed they mentioned them by name. lol

Edited by HuskerTornado
  • Like 1

I don't know much about 5SOS but I don't think he was saying they are trying to sound like GnR,rather he is watching Axl as a performer and taking cues as to how he commands an entire stadium . I doubt he name checked Axl Rose for hipster points and if anything this exposes the GnR name to a whole new demographic.

I don't like the music these guys put out, but their one redeeming feature for me is they have instruments!!!

Hopefully this will help inspire the next generation to pick up a guitar or grab some drumsticks and start to form bands. I don't see that as a bad thing.