Apocalyptic Love vs. World On Fire

Towelie

Which is the best Slash/Myles/Conspirators album?  

48 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

WOF over AL even though The Dissident is a huge piece of shit.Title track, Wicked Stone, Bent To Fly, 30 Years, Beneath The Savage Sun are all standouts for me. The production is also much slicker on WOF, which may not be to everyone's liking, but there's no knocking how good those drums sound.

So just removing some songs make it the better album.

Adding some songs to make an album stronger, yeah, that's reasonable.

Which songs 5 songs would you remove?

I'd remove Stone Blind, Too Far Gone, Iris of the Storm, The Dissident, Safari Inn
See what I mean? Stone Blind, Too Far Gone and Safari Inn are songs I really like. So while you would remove them I would probably miss them. Instead I would remove something you may like.

So why don't you just let it as it is and choose what you wanna hear. The songs you consider to be good are still there, as are the songs I consider to be good.

Edited by Free Bird

World on Fire made me a bit more understanding of the way some people talk about Chinese Democracy. Specifically, those who call it shit or the worst album they've ever heard. I've always thought that it was an exaggeration. Really? Shit? Worst album? Are you sure you're not overreacting a bit? Maybe adding some shock value to their comments, maybe hating it by association with its history.

But then World on Fire came out and it seems there's been a pretty good reception to it here. I, on the other hand, cannot find a single redeeming quality to this thing. Maybe some, like I used to in regards to CD, would think I'm exaggerating, but I'm telling you in all honesty, I think this album is pure shit. One mediocre song, and the rest are terrible. The whole thing is the most disappointing release I've heard from anyone that used to be in GNR.

Apocalyptic Love isn't particularly great (it's got its good and its bad), but, fuck me, anything is better than World on Fire!

• 1 month later...

I've picked WOF. I really like AL, but on WOF Myles' voice is stronger, as are the songs.

WOF by far. Every song is awesome except for Unholy and Battleground. I skip those every time. They suck.

Those are two of my favourites on the album!!

Same here. I always like the songs that most people don't!

Edited by Babooshka

As a listener and Guitar player, I must say that both albums are great and I honestly like and can appreciate every song on both records! What is my favorite of the two? World On Fire!

WOF is a much stronger album than AL was hands down, its also not as dark, the last half of Apocalyptic Love slows down with Far and Away, Battleground is a much better ballad.

I think a person would appreciate these tracks more if you listened to them in the correct setting or correct time in your life, I'm very fortunate that my Hemi Dodge Ram's stock Infinity system sounds great with this album and with how bad ass my truck is, hearing some of the music on WOF makes me untouchable in traffic as I tend to speed while listening to songs like Avalon, Beneath The Savage Sun & Automatic Overdrive, they get my adrenaline going and make me feel alive, easily the soundtrack to my life for years to come much in the way the Illusions Albums were and still are. WOF makes me early for work even when I'm running late, it makes me speed that bad.

Best World On Fire Tracks:

Beneath The Savage Sun: Its a complete song from top to bottom, any guitarist would look forward to playing this song in a set. As a song writer & guitarist myself, I love how Slash structured the main riff, verse riff, pre chorus & chorus, the bridge, 2 rip roaring solos and ending it with that killer riff. Myles also did a great job with the lyrics and vocals, the lyrics are about elephant poaching but you could easily apply it to an array of subject matter. I'd say this song satisfies me about as much as having sex does and about as much as cold water or a cold beer on a hot day, especially when its cranked!.

Wicked Stone: Another bad ass song that needs no explaining, but I will say that first half of that solo is so brilliant! and the whole song is just great not one bad thing.

Safari Inn: After reading the forum I must be the only one who appreciates the emotional ride the solo & song in general takes a person on.

Iris Of The Storm: Awesome intro & chorus riff and a great solo to fit the storminess of the song, its a very good song, a very solid song and the ending chorus is very satisfying with the way it has the flanger going nuts just after the cool end solo, I feel as if I'm in a 3D movie that's set in the middle of a hurricane or a thrill ride at a water park. It takes me on a trip and I like it.

World On Fire: Its a pure fuck you rock & roller with a hyper solo & killer riff that would get any guitarist pumped to play.

Automatic Overdrive: Just a bitchin' riff and great chorus and strong verse.

The Dissident: underrated song with a catchy chorus & lead, also a great solo and good ending, I always enjoy it.

Avalon: Hard hitting and a great song to listen to when you need to get somewhere fast in a car.

30 Years To Life: Has a great solo good chorus & great ending lead.

I do often times tend to skip Battleground & The Unholy, but they both have their place, and honestly if you're on a road trip you tend to appreciate them because they do tell a story, me and my ex have a love hate relationship still and Battleground suits that fact, The Unholy is a song that makes you want to watch a movie like "The Rite" or something and I think its an enjoyable listen and it does take you on a journey as well, it could have fit easily on the Illusions Records between November Rain and Estranged.

Weakest songs on it are (though I do like them):

Stone Blind, its like a Snake Pit era/style song, not bad but not as great as the others.

Bent To Fly

Dirty Girl

Best tracks on Apocalyptic Love:

Standing In The Sun: Song keeps you groovin' and the composition is great as well as the solo that keeps you alive.

Anastasia: Artistic masterpiece in many ways, the intro melody lead that is inspired by Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor, I think it showed a lot of people that Slash could do Yngwie Malmsteenish kinda stuff in his own way along with a killer classical/rock solo to end the song. Was very proud of myself to learn that intro lead, its always a crowd pleaser. A quick story: there was a dude who was trying to tell my ex before we got together what a great guitar player he was and I remember I played that riff in front of him & her and he refused to play after that! I ended up getting the girl over that moment...thats how bad ass that riff is!.

We Will Roam: I really dig this song, it was the soundtrack to a lot of things I had going on and its haunting & epic.

Halo: Its just bad ass all around, one of the hardest Slash riffs I've ever had to learn to play, had to train my brain & fingers for 3 weeks to play it just as I had Anastasia and I've played guitar for 10 years prior to that pretty heavy and usually got things down in a day, this kinda mind fucked me for a bit, but it was so good I kept at it.

No More Heroes: I would have loved to have heard this song in the movie Kick Ass or another super hero movie because it truly is awesome and makes ones imagination come to life, only Slash can come up with a great melody & solo to fit the mood like he does here.

Crazy Life: Great bluesy vibe mixed with rock & roll, also has a great solo.

Hard & Fast: hard hitting rock whats not to love?

You're A Lie: Down & Dirty hit you in the balls kinda song along with a unique style of frantic soloing Slash is doing more of nowdays.

Both are great albums, I definitely can and do listen to World On Fire more, or as Myles Kennedy would say... "I listen to it mooowwarrr". He definitely has a unique way to phrase the word "more" lol.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB
  • Like 1

Safari Inn: After reading the forum I must be the only one who appreciates the emotional ride the solo & song in general takes a person on.

No one can play like that. For me, it's proof he's still got it. He was definitely on for this one. And it is a ride. The way he knows how many notes to play and how he keeps the musical direction going... it's unique how he does it.

And that's the thing, isn't it? even that specific thing in Slash's playing was a big part of the classic Gn'R sound. It will always be missing without Slash. Safari Inn is the best thing Slash released in years imo, and it's an instrumental. Interesting.

• Like 1

No one can play like that. For me, it's proof he's still got it. He was definitely on for this one. And it is a ride. The way he knows how many notes to play and how he keeps the musical direction going... it's unique how he does it.

And that's the thing, isn't it? even that specific thing in Slash's playing was a big part of the classic Gn'R sound. It will always be missing without Slash. Safari Inn is the best thing Slash released in years imo, and it's an instrumental. Interesting.

I'd have to agree that it has so many of the elements that made you fall in love with his playing in GNR. Slash has played on a lot of stuff since GNR and while Slash's sound IS pretty much GNR, he hasn't quite done the kind of stuff that he did in GNR and its easy to separate his body of work from one project to the next, but, Safari Inn totally takes you back to GNR days and its as if the solo is actually speaking to you, its not just a bunch of notes, there is a total language going on in there that speaks to me, no guitarist but Slash has that kind of pull on my brain and Safari Inn takes you back in time to GNR.

Honorable mention for songs with solos that spike emotions, CCR/John Forgerty Ramble Tamble live or record version, Ted Nugents playing on Fred Bear. Slash just has a way to catch your ear on every song he does.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB

I'm very fortunate that my Hemi Dodge Ram's stock Infinity system sounds great with this album and with how bad ass my truck is

It's cool that you're thankful for your truck. I suggest getting truck nuts. (if it doesn't have it already) also: blast the fuck out of Dirty Girl in the truck. It gets you bitches.

Edited by Rovim