Amy Schumer unhappy in this interview

I honestly think the world needs more shame, not less.

At least dole it out fairly.

Absolutely. But we do have to spend some time thinking about how "fair" =/= "same". I'm not saying give license to guys to fuck everything and strap a chastity belt on girls when they turn 13, but let's be thoughtful, intelligent people about things and not just broad stroke homogenize everything because it's too complicated or uncomfortable to think about.

What's thoughtful and intelligent about the word 'skank'? :lol: A word there's no male equivalent of because men are allowed to fuck for the sake of fucking without being denigrated or assumed to be damaged goods. Outside of infidelity and any reckless behavior that could put an unwitting partner at risk, I don't see any reason for shame in any consensual sexual activity, and I certainly don't see why men and women should be held to such radically different standards.

I think the male word would be f*ggot.

If a male actor did a movie roughly based in his life and admitted that in college he was drinking and drugging a lot and had a couple homosexual relationships.

"So in college you were a real f*ggot....." Says the interviewer to the actor.

Would the male actor take offense to the use of that word or would he laugh and give the guy a high five. Because if he did sleep with a guy, then he was being a f*ggot. Right?

And if the actor busted the interviewers balls a few times would the male posters in here be calling the actor names and saying how wrong he was????? No. They wouldn't.

So yes. There is a bit of a double standard going on.

Did the interviewer say "so you were a real dyke eh?"

No? Then your comparison is stupid.

It's funny that an interview about a movie called trainwreck turns into such a trainwreck.

^this.

Edited by Gordon Comstock

So, we support Amy because she assumed the guy called her a 'skank', and absolutely forget that she went ahead and insulted that guy's mother? :lol: Oh wait, she is a comedian, she just jokes like that. The interviewer is not a comedian, so he's not allowed to make jokes.

There absolutely are negative things to call guys who sleep around. It's such a myth that there aren't. They have different goals and effects than the names called women, but if you think there aren't names for men, you've neither been nor been around a man who is open about having sex with a lot of women.

Yet you didn't name one. The bottom line is it is a double standard. Whether I care is a different matter entirely (I don't). Its an interesting matter to debate, but if you can't bring up facts and figures on your end then there's nothing left to talk about.

There absolutely are negative things to call guys who sleep around. It's such a myth that there aren't. They have different goals and effects than the names called women, but if you think there aren't names for men, you've neither been nor been around a man who is open about having sex with a lot of women.

Yet you didn't name one. The bottom line is it is a double standard. Whether I care is a different matter entirely (I don't). Its an interesting matter to debate, but if you can't bring up facts and figures on your end then there's nothing left to talk about.

Facts and figures? :lol:

Creep, dirtbag, disgusting, manwhore, slut, pig, "afraid of commitment".... How many more do you need?

Comparing the words skank and hooray for tolerance!, good grief.

You've completely missed the point.

F*ggot and skank don't have the same definition.

But they are gender specific words that are used in a derogatory fashion to insult people.

You're suggesting they have the same weight though. Why not throw in n*gger, bitch and ginger while we're at it?

The worst of the lot.

Creep, dirtbag, disgusting, manwhore, slut, pig, "afraid of commitment".... How many more do you need?

Those have nowhere near the same connotation that "skank" does, IMO

Those have nowhere near the same connotation that "skank" does, IMO

I said exactly that in the original post you quoted. The point I was contesting was that there are no judgmental and shaming names for promiscuous heterosexual men.

I said exactly that in the original post you quoted. The point I was contesting was that there are no judgmental and shaming names for promiscuous heterosexual men.

Fair enough. I guess my point was BECAUSE they don't have the same connotation I don't really consider them "demeaning names" or something that is as rude as calling a woman a "skank". I could call my male friends "creeps" and "manwhores" (in fact, I have a friend that is just that) but at no time do I truly mean it in a mean way. Its just kind of BSing with him, or making myself feel better that I don't get laid as much as he does. However, if I were to call one of my female friends a "skank" (which, again, I very easily could in real life) she would be extremely offended (despite the fact that, like Amy, she talks at length about the amount of guys she bangs). It was more the point that there are things you can say about men, but nothing to the level that people say about women and none that really cause as much of a stir. I meant that I don't believe there's really anything you can call a man that would get the same kind of blowback that the word "skank" does.

I would venture to go even further in saying thats evidenced in how lazy the word "manwhore" is, which is just adding on the word man to the word "whore", generally used to demean women. Manwhore was a way to try and make the same assertion about men, but holds so much less weight in part because of how lazy the word is.

I don't necessarily buy into the idea that one has a right to fuck everyone and not be shamed. I'm not trying to get with guys, so I don't care what they do, but you bet your ass I'm making judgements about a group of women if I happen to know they've slept with 100, 50, 25, 10, 5 and 1 guy respectively. Which makes me think much of this has to do with women misdirecting their anger and getting mad because men don't demean other men as cruelly as women demean women. I spend a lot of time around teenagers and I'd say 3 out of 4 times slut shaming is girl on girl. Still, guys do shit on, but sleep with, girls who get around. Girls shit on, but sleep with, guys who get around. And here's the imbalance: Girls shit on and try to destroy other girls who get around. Talk to yourselves, ladies. It ain't about us.

Edited by magisme
  • Like 2

I don't think its a bad comparison. Woman and blacks are two of the main groups that have gotten the sh*t end of the stick from the white man since the beginning of time.

Always wanting to tell them what do, how to act.

Perhaps it was specific use of the word skank and the fact its connotations are specific to birds that wound her up?

And the specific double standard it exposes. In which case, fair enough.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here but this ladys a comedian right? I heard of her first time about 3 days ago when i found out Method Man was gonna be in this film, exactly what kind of comedy does she do that she got sensitive about that?

I've never seen her show or stand up, I do believe she's quite ribald though. I don't know what her exact issue was, but the word is generally used to shame women for sexual behavior that's tolerated (if not admired) in men and it's lazy, usually hypocritical and tiresome. Having said that, the trailer makes the film appear to be a 'bad girl redeemed by love' thing, so she may be being hypocritical herself.

You have a problem with the word "skank"? LOL. Have you forgotten what band this forum is dedicated to. :P

I don't think its a bad comparison. Woman and blacks are two of the main groups that have gotten the sh*t end of the stick from the white man since the beginning of time.

Always wanting to tell them what do, how to act.

Perhaps it was specific use of the word skank and the fact its connotations are specific to birds that wound her up?

And the specific double standard it exposes. In which case, fair enough.

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here but this ladys a comedian right? I heard of her first time about 3 days ago when i found out Method Man was gonna be in this film, exactly what kind of comedy does she do that she got sensitive about that?

I've never seen her show or stand up, I do believe she's quite ribald though. I don't know what her exact issue was, but the word is generally used to shame women for sexual behavior that's tolerated (if not admired) in men and it's lazy, usually hypocritical and tiresome. Having said that, the trailer makes the film appear to be a 'bad girl redeemed by love' thing, so she may be being hypocritical herself.

You have a problem with the word "skank"? LOL. Have you forgotten what band this forum is dedicated to. :P

Women and blacks have got it in the neck from the white man, excuse me?!? Cuz there's no such thing as a sexist black man, eh? :lol: