Double Talkin Jive Dedication to Izzy in '93

Is it possible to read a thread on this forum without bashing someone. While there's a lot to be explained from the fate of Guns in the early 90's, I refuse to blame Axl on everything. Before Sorum joined and he would eventually be snorting cocaine of the backs of prostitute's and thinking he knows what's best for the band in numerous quotes, behind the music etc. The whole band was fucked up besides Axl if he was fucked up or not I don't think he went off stage shot up into his feet and came back onstage and performed. Izzy was a coke & heroin junkie, paranoid of his own shadow, finding checks in his pocket for thousands of dollars life changing amounts of money to you & me. Izzy got into pretty bad shit when he urinated on that plane and as quiet as Izzy is I don't think his laid back nature could tolerate anymore bullshit behaviour from the band or what he had caused himself. I'm sure I read he walked into managements office with lawyers demanding money. Adler and his mom demanded and got money with ambulance chasing attorneys. I think Axl was done dealing with fucked up individuals when he himself has his demons like we all do and dealing with childhood issues. Maybe he felt abandoned by Izzy. I'm not saying Axl is innocent by a long shot but these five guys need to realise that the fans made them, made them rich, if you wanna go into the middle of nowhere and ride donuts up a tree the fans made you rich & you can afford to do what you want now. Just acknowledge it sometime and show some appreciation.

Is it possible for you to talk about the old band without bringing up their drug use?

Those junkies helped write Appetite. Lies. Both Illusions.

Izzy, Axl's best friend quit.

Slash, Duff and Sorum might have been using drugs. But they showed up to every writing session, rehearsal and concert ready to perform.

How many shows were late or cancelled because of the junkies as opposed to because of Axl?

How many practices and rehearsals did the Junkies miss compared to Axl.

Mods, can you deduct a point from WK every time he downgrades the classic line ups contributions to GnR by calling them junkies.

It is weird when Axl nutters act puritanically in order to attack the other four. The simple fact of the matter is, it took booze and heroin to write Appetite for Destruction. Would Brownstone exist without smack? No. Nightrain without booze? No. Axl still plays them two songs today. You could certainly say they abused drugs but they also got a lot from drugs: they not only continued to write, play live and record while on drugs, but actually channeled that drug culture into their music. Presumably, if you (Axl nutters) are so puritanical, you would prefer the lyrics of Mr Brownstone to be about vitamin pills, and Nightrain to be about Shandy Bass? This is the logical conclusion of your puritanism after all!

Reminds me of Keith Richards (paraphrasing): ''on junk I still made Exile and learnt to ski''

• Like 1

Wise words by a Wise man

"It’s not even right that he uses the name, because he’s the only guy

. I think ultimately it’s gonna work against him, because people are gonna say ‘Fuck you, wanker’ – that’s what they'll call him here, right?. ‘You fucking wanker, that’s not Guns N’ Roses!’ Hopefully, the music’s good, cos if the music isn't good then he’s gonna get the double-whammy…” - Izzy Stradlin

I don't blame Axl for saying something like Double Talkin Jive describes Izzy. I mean, I'm sure Axl was a nightmare, but every breakup between friends has 2 sides to the story

Got a problem? Here's the hot tip - don't play the song the man sang and wrote and especially don't make it the centerpiece of a concert for two years.

Double hot tip, if a guy writes and plays on a song have the bloody decency to turn his guitar up. I can't describe the idiocy of say, the mixing in Back of Bitch where Izzy plays the intro lead and then his rhythm track is an absolute whimper which gets slightly louder during the chorus.

Slash: "As much as has gone on, and as much as I resent Izzy for quitting and all that, and leaving me in weird spots where I had to find a replacement weeks before the next leg of a tour, or if he didn't play on the "Use Your Illusion" records - which is for the most part true - looking back on it, Izzy's Izzy."

MH: What do you mean he didn't play on "...Illusion" albums?!

Slash: "I had to double guitars up for him on most of it. He didn't play very much."

Except Izzy clearly plays on the overwhelming majority of songs if you make the effort to listen super carefully to your left hand speaker/earphone. Get the Q mixes if you haven't yet where he's as loud if not louder than Slash. His style is too obvious to simply be confused for Slash. More sparse, a lot less gain than Slash.

If everybody's such a expert...then why did Izzy change his mind? He has come out and publicity opened up about Axl & the band just before new gnr headed out on the road or after, he joined "the project" and then pulled out, when the HoF came around he was nowhere to be seen..and yes I've heard he tried to get Axl to come along but if he really wanted to be there he would have showed up lets be honest. He has joined new guns numerous times over the last 8-9 years on tour..so what I want to know is why did Izzy go back to play with Axl after what he said in the quotes above in this thread? Is it because behind the scenes they still friends after all these years, he is a massive part of Guns N' Roses success or something else, he's played with all the guys in what ever venture they are involved in I'm not criticising Izzy here he's a musician at the end of the day and he plays with whoever he wants.

Is it true Izzy tried to get back with the band in 95?

Yeah, there was a failed attempt if I remember correctly. I think Marc talked about it a little bit. Not sure if it was in 1995 but sounds right.

Edited by Rovim

Yeah, there was a failed attempt if I remember correctly. I think Marc talked about it a little bit. Not sure if it was in 1995 but sounds right.

He didn't want to rejoin the band full time, he brought a lot of songs he had written to the table though for the band to work on in 1995 and throughout 1996. But he was not interested in being a fulltime member again. It started when Duff called him up in April 1995 asking for help writing new GN'R songs. He and Duff wrote a dozen in a week.

He didn't want to rejoin the band full time, he brought a lot of songs he had written to the table though for the band to work on in 1995 and throughout 1996. But he was not interested in being a fulltime member again. It started when Duff called him up in April 1995 asking for help writing new GN'R songs. He and Duff wrote a dozen in a week.

Awesome info. Thanks guys. These guys were brothers. You can see it in Izzy missing things and wanting to still be able to be part of the band to some extent after leaving.

Yeah he did, he and Duff wrote a couple of songs, which most prob ended up on his solo albums later on, I guess in 95 Axl din't want Izzy to be in the band and was prefering Paul Tobias, Basically Axl hardly showed up in the studio, everyone used to be there at different times and Axl was distancing himself, so well things dint work out