GNR 2016 100 Million Dollar Tour?!?

I'm caught in 2 minds, I don't want to see ancient Axl and Slash onstage ignoring Chinese Democracy or Axl utterly abandoning any sequel notions nor do I want Slash's solo work or Velvet Revolver just swept to the side, what's the point of that? But I also don't want to see Axl turning up in South America then Vegas again with Thing 1 and Thing 2 replacing members I'd just got around to accepting on Album 2 and playing fucking CD, WTTJ, IT'S SO EASY AND MR BASTARD BROWNSTONE again... and hoping for fucking 14 Years or Riad for a sign of progress.

I completely get your point Randall.

I am sick to fucking death of the old tunes, they have been done to death, there is also some good shit outside of the old band that went on too. BUT seeing the original band play the songs is what I would go for. I saw the original band and they do sound different and better than any of the versions that have come since..that chemistry, its audible.

I'd go to hear some UYI deep cuts come out again also.

I'd go because I'd be happy to see them back together.

I can still love all of the other material you referenced but if you start bringing that in, its not a reunion show any more, its a career retrospective for each member and that could get sticky as the egos compete to get their tunes on the list.

I would hate to see it turn into "well if you won't sing Slither I'm not playing Better"!

I'd forgive all sins if these guys put out an album of original tunes to go with this though. sadly though, its Axl that I do not believe would "want to work that hard".

• Like 1

I just heard on the radio that Guns N Roses will play Slane Castle next year... A venue they played at the height of their popularity.. I would literally shit myself if this really happens..

On what station/when/where?! That's a short ass drive for me man.

The other guys were in different bands playing their material, Axl was in Guns N' Roses and suffered for it deeply with the weight of a planet on his shoulders (it's obvious why he identified with Rand's Atlas Shrugged) until he began shaping the new vision with a horizon coming, ie finally releasing that strange record, something went horribly wrong whether it was some slide into depression for whatever reason or the record label rejecting a sequel or refusing funding or simply being very peaceful and deciding he didn't need to feel the same stress and motivation because he found catharsis within that single release.. I dunno, I don't believe he would let a reunion occur without expecting the guys to play those songs from that chapter of the band, a valid chapter but definitely separate... it's a conundrum.

He created passionate material under that name, laboured and toiled for years upon years, therefore I'm almost a thousand per cent certain he would expect the guys to play it, he's had Duff play a whole show for example, I can't see him desiring Slash up there though playing CD songs, that just does not compute with what he went through with him and Seymour in his head, it was like some hills and dips with the others but Slash was a whole mountain range of jagged, gnarled peaks... I don't believe he will ever reunite because the lines in the sand are more like war trenches than simple disagreements, I can see a one off show but Slash is not like playing with Duff or Izzy for me, that's just my observation of the ax man, nobody knows how he feels.

The other guys were in different bands playing their material, Axl was in Guns N' Roses and suffered for it deeply with the weight of a planet on his shoulders (it's obvious why he identified with Rand's Atlas Shrugged) until he began shaping the new vision with a horizon coming, ie finally releasing that strange record, something went horribly wrong whether it was some slide into depression for whatever reason or the record label rejecting a sequel or refusing funding or simply being very peaceful and deciding he didn't need to feel the same stress and motivation because he found catharsis within that single release.. I dunno, I don't believe he would let a reunion occur without expecting the guys to play those songs from that chapter of the band, a valid chapter but definitely separate... it's a conundrum.

He created passionate material under that name, laboured and toiled for years upon years, therefore I'm almost a thousand per cent certain he would expect the guys to play it, he's had Duff play a whole show for example, I can't see him desiring Slash up there though playing CD songs, that just does not compute with what he went through with him and Seymour in his head, it was like some hills and dips with the others but Slash was a whole mountain range of jagged, gnarled peaks... I don't believe he will ever reunite because the lines in the sand are more like war trenches than simple disagreements, I can see a one off show but Slash is not like playing with Duff or Izzy for me, that's just my observation of the ax man, nobody knows how he feels.

Weight of the world on his shoulders? Lol, seriously?

Dude is a singer of a rock band. Who has ten of millions if not a hundred million dollars in his bank account. He is loved by millions of people around the world.

Weight of the world? If he fails musically he still drives his $100,000 car back to his multi-million dollar mansion and will have 50 million dollars in his bank account. And will have 22 year old models wanting to bang him.

That isn't really somebody with a lot of pressure on their shoulders. How about a single parent working three jobs who has a child with severe disabilities and who live from pay check to paycheck.

Honestly it feels like reunion or retire at this point. I don't think anyone imagines Axl rebuilding nugnr. It's kinda crazy when you think about it.

It's all or nothing now. No more pointless touring or whatever. It's go big or stay home at this point, at least that's the hand I imagine Axl is looking at right now.

This.

Weight of the world on his shoulders? Lol, seriously?

Dude is a singer of a rock band. Who has ten of millions if not a hundred million dollars in his bank account. He is loved by millions of people around the world.

Weight of the world? If he fails musically he still drives his $100,000 car back to his multi-million dollar mansion and will have 50 million dollars in his bank account. And will have 22 year old models wanting to bang him.

That isn't really somebody with a lot of pressure on their shoulders. How about a single parent working three jobs who has a child with severe disabilities and who live from pay check to paycheck.

Source?

Axl had a lot of self inflicted pressure. He made it about himself in a lot of ways. The reason he showed up late was bc he didn't want to be on tour, he resented everyone for making him tour.

He went through a lot of self discovery though, Axl realized he hadalot of issues, he beat women, he was abused as a child, he had a lot of issues that many people deal with except he was the lead singer of the biggest rock band in the world.

Do I feel sorry for him? Not really, I think he's lived a life worth living and at the end of the day I see Axl as a better person than he was 25 years ago, if you can always progress in life towards being a better human than I see no fault in that person, we are all messed up in one way or another. It takes a lot to learn how to grow as that messed up person and make your life better. So I think anyone that criticizes Axl for being a rich cry baby should look themselves in the mirror.

Axl had a lot of self inflicted pressure. He made it about himself in a lot of ways. The reason he showed up late was bc he didn't want to be on tour, he resented everyone for making him tour.

He went through a lot of self discovery though, Axl realized he hadalot of issues, he beat women, he was abused as a child, he had a lot of issues that many people deal with except he was the lead singer of the biggest rock band in the world.

Do I feel sorry for him? Not really, I think he's lived a life worth living and at the end of the day I see Axl as a better person than he was 25 years ago, if you can always progress in life towards being a better human than I see no fault in that person, we are all messed up in one way or another. It takes a lot to learn how to grow as that messed up person and make your life better. So I think anyone that criticizes Axl for being a rich cry baby should look themselves in the mirror.

I just wish the guy would share his music with the millions of fans that made him wildly wealthy and that have been fans of his for almost 30 years.

It's weird with Axl, he could have made a lot more money doing different things at this point, he hasn't shown any sign of relenting on his deranged and somehow noble visions, he has shown nothing to suggest he is warm to a reunion, he has shown lack of commitment to a future with the GNR he created again from the ground up twice, but he hasn't suggested he will stop tinkering with the sequel. He's obviously not lacking for money nor is it his sole drive, this man said 'not in this lifetime' and refused to attend the rrhof for his own achievements... I cannot see him just reneging for a reunion because there's a fortune out there, I don't believe he is driven by monetary gain as the primary objective, it's interesting cause if he tours the same CD tour, one crowd says he's only in it for the dough, yet if he went for a reunion, that would compound that sentiment by a million per cent more.

I would just like to see the guy share music with his fans more often than once album every 20 years.
I see it as impact, to make sure it's a big deal. 10 years to make an album, 10 years to promote it. Artistically to have something to say every 10 years is about right.

Apollo you're looking at in a very simplistic way, Axl has a completely different frame he's been operating in, our stresses are not of the same fabric as his stresses, nobody doubts that, we're not debating those kind of things, there is no question he found great catharsis in what he managed to do with chinese democracy, he spent about a decade in the wilderness healing prior to it, he wasn't from the streets anymore once GNR dissolved but that did not remove him from the human range of emotions and depths,

Edited by RandallFlagg

It's weird with Axl, he could have made a lot more money doing different things at this point, he hasn't shown any sign of relenting on his deranged and somehow noble visions, he has shown nothing to suggest he is warm to a reunion, he has shown lack of commitment to a future with the GNR he created again from the ground up twice, but he hasn't suggested he will stop tinkering with the sequel. He's obviously not lacking for money nor is it his sole drive, this man said 'not in this lifetime' and refused to attend the rrhof for his own achievements... I cannot see him just reneging for a reunion because there's a fortune out there, I don't believe he is driven by monetary gain as the primary objective, it's interesting cause if he tours the same CD tour, one crowd says he's only in it for the dough, yet if he went for a reunion, that would compound that sentiment by a million per cent more.

I would just like to see the guy share music with his fans more often than once album every 20 years.
I see it as impact, to make sure it's a big deal. 10 years to make an album, 10 years to promote it. Artistically to have something to say every 10 years is about right.

Why do you think the music world has changed in that regard?

GnR put out four albums in five years. Bands used to put out albums every year or every other year.

You actually prefer to get an album every 20 years, rather than your favorite bands putting out albums every couple of years?

Apollo you're looking at in a very simplistic way.

How so?

I extended the post, it's more of a discussion of the emotional, heck I've said enough times, he's had everything he needs to write ten albums over the last decade and I'm sick of the same goddamn tour over and over, but the CD process was understandable with respect to the guy's history and well known issues, which getting rich as anybody could ever hope did not solve or offer simple solutions to.

• Like 1

I think the music industry has changed but that is less relevant.

It's more how successful GNR got, then it imploded. It has many angles, thinking about a new line up etc.

But once you get off the conveyor belt, and you have the freedom to do what you want that's different than playing the game or feeling forced.

Axl seems like he wants to do a different record each time. That isn't easy, especially in the 80s, 90s.

I don't hate getting new albums every other year. But I also see it's a three record cycle. 2 or 3 times and that's the basic career. they have 2 or 3 strong artistic statements, the other albums are kind of spin offs, something more pop or experimental. Then get serious again.

Axl or GNR seem to make these huge jumps between records. They are expressing something different. In a completely different way.

Axl got off the conveyor belt, there was a lot of pressure bcos of the situation (and not a lot of sympathy around) and he's not remaking the last record. I'm not saying what is right or wrong just trying to understand.

I see positives in the approach. You get something a little deeper or special and it has more impact. As much as I want a trilogy there it is, CD is the big clear statement. 14 songs that really matter and were played live. Axl fought hard so he wasn't just putting out remakes of the early albums.

Also even if he wanted to there was no Izzy to crank out the tunes. The engine had gone. Axl is the only proven writer in there, so he's using 3 or 4 other guys and trying to live up to the Guns name. So it makes sense it took 5 years more than expected. I think he found a way to put out a great record. Seemed like a struggle.

Funnily enough in the 10 year period if GNR put out three records in 2000, 2004, 2008, Axl would probably only have 4 songs on each that were really his. They just happen to be on 1 record with different musicians. It's not like we lost anything.

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

Funnily enough in the 10 year period if GNR put out three records in 2000, 2004, 2008, Axl would probably only have 4 songs on each that were really his. They just happen to be on 1 record with different musicians. It's not like we lost anything.

I think we did. Those 4 Axl songs on each album would have been contributed by Izzy, Slash, and Duff. We not only lost more potential studio albums, and Axl's prime years, but also he didn't tour at all for a long time.

Also, Axl would have written lyrics and melodies to Slash's, Duff's, and Izzy's songs on those 3 albums. I find that that shapes and transforms songs in a unique, Axl way. That's why I really want to hear Down By The Ocean and that song that was born from something Slash came up with. (CD ll could have one Izzy song, one Slash song, and Duff all over it if Axl is interested without a full reunion)

Chinese is Axl's vision separated from everything the old members brought to the table. That means less Guns elements in each song.

You're also putting all the wait and delays on legitimate musical reasons, which I don't think is accurate. Many musicians have put out records in the worst times of their lives. It didn't take as long.

I don't think it was ever done before in the way Axl did it. There's reasons for that imo.That, or the levels of integrity here are unheard of.

Edited by Rovim

It's more how successful GNR got, then it imploded. It has many angles, thinking about a new line up etc.

But once you get off the conveyor belt, and you have the freedom to do what you want that's different than playing the game or feeling forced.

Axl seems like he wants to do a different record each time. That isn't easy, especially in the 80s, 90s.

I don't hate getting new albums every other year. But I also see it's a three record cycle. 2 or 3 times and that's the basic career. they have 2 or 3 strong artistic statements, the other albums are kind of spin offs, something more pop or experimental. Then get serious again.

Axl or GNR seem to make these huge jumps between records. They are expressing something different. In a completely different way.

Axl got off the conveyor belt, there was a lot of pressure bcos of the situation (and not a lot of sympathy around) and he's not remaking the last record. I'm not saying what is right or wrong just trying to understand.

I see positives in the approach. You get something a little deeper or special and it has more impact. As much as I want a trilogy there it is, CD is the big clear statement. 14 songs that really matter and were played live. Axl fought hard so he wasn't just putting out remakes of the early albums.

Also even if he wanted to there was no Izzy to crank out the tunes. The engine had gone. Axl is the only proven writer in there, so he's using 3 or 4 other guys and trying to live up to the Guns name. So it makes sense it took 5 years more than expected. I think he found a way to put out a great record. Seemed like a struggle.

Two things stick out

More impact? Illusions were released three years after Lies. Two albums and they debuted at number one and two. They certainly had more impact than CD, yes? Now Axl has waited at least seven years for CD2. Will its release have more impact than either Illusion?

Strength of the album determines the impact. Not how long it took between albums.

And your four great songs on three different albums also leaves out a HUGE point.

In that scenario the fans also get 30 other GnR songs to enjoy.

Music is subjective. The song you think is great is different than the song I think is great. I can't stand Chinese democracy and Sorry. And find Madagascar to be quite boring. Some posters on here feel those are three of the best. I don't even like Paradise City very much. I prefer Yesterdays over it.

So the four great songs on each album means different songs for each listener.

Would you rather have CD from Axl's multiple versions of GnR.......or would you rather have CD, CD2, and Stay of Execution? 42 songs or 14 songs from our favorite singer?

• Like 1

I think we did. Those 4 Axl songs on each album would have been contributed by Izzy, Slash, and Duff. We not only lost more potential studio albums, and Axl's prime years, but also he didn't tour at all for a long time.

Also, Axl would have written lyrics and melodies to Slash's, Duff's, and Izzy's songs on those 3 albums. I find that that shapes and transforms songs in a unique, Axl way. That's why I really want to hear Down By The Ocean and that song that was born from something Slash came up with. (CD ll could have one Izzy song, one Slash song, and Duff all over it if Axl is interested without a full reunion)

Chinese is Axl's vision separated from everything the old members brought to the table. That means less Guns elements in each song.

You're also putting all the wait and delays on legitimate musical reasons, which I don't think is accurate. Many musicians have put out records in the worst times of their lives. It didn't take as long.

I don't think it was ever done before in the way Axl did it. There's reasons for that imo.That, or the levels of integrity here are unheard of.

We lost a little bit then, but I think SOD and Madagascar are fully realised as anything he would have done with Slash.

I think there's something cool about the undiluted versions of each member. Ju ju Hounds or Snakepit are kind of great.

The ideal would be three or four fully realised GNR albums and you can see the pieces of the puzzle on CD and the solo albums.

• Like 1

Two things stick out

More impact? Illusions were released three years after Lies. Two albums and they debuted at number one and two. They certainly had more impact than CD, yes? Now Axl has waited at least seven years for CD2. Will its release have more impact than either Illusion?

Strength of the album determines the impact. Not how long it took between albums.

And your four great songs on three different albums also leaves out a HUGE point.

In that scenario the fans also get 30 other GnR songs to enjoy.

Music is subjective. The song you think is great is different than the song I think is great. I can't stand Chinese democracy and Sorry. And find Madagascar to be quite boring. Some posters on here feel those are three of the best. I don't even like Paradise City very much. I prefer Yesterdays over it.

So the four great songs on each album means different songs for each listener.

Would you rather have CD from Axl's multiple versions of GnR.......or would you rather have CD, CD2, and Stay of Execution? 42 songs or 14 songs from our favorite singer?

Not impact in comparison to other albums. But putting focus on a certain album. When CD came out it got attention. And Axl had something to say. Not oh just another record from GNR.

I just think we got the Axl songs he was going to do by 2008. 6-8 on CD. they would have been mixed in with Izzy and Slash songs. Of course we didn't get his input into their songs, but that was what they wanted.

Sure give me more material but I feel like the best Axl stuff is on CD. Or at least that's quite a lot of great stuff for the time period. It's almost unrealistic to think there's 10 more masterpieces to come. Hope so, but if not, I wouldn't be that shocked. Silkworms is cool and everything but This I Love is really more important.

The ideal would be three or four fully realised GNR albums and you can see the pieces of the puzzle on CD and the solo albums.

I think hearing CD ll "as is" would be kinda the way it was supposed to be? weird, cause Bumble is on there, and I'd love Slash, Duff, and Izzy to work on unreleased Axl tunes, but maybe let's hear what Axl called a finished album first.

But Chinese was good enough for me as a Guns album, so I'm probably in the minority cause top priority is still riding.

Edited by Rovim

I can sort of see why it happened. Each member has a strong idea sbout their material. I kind of like Izzy solo, that makes more sense for most of his material. In GNR his songs get anthemed.

If they can work together and blend their styles, not to mention the chemistry of the 5, then you have something special. But it seems like it's easier said than done when each guy is pretty single minded.

Axl seems to take 5 years to do two or three songs. Whereas Slash and Izzy can knock stuff up in a month or two? And they don't want to jump through Axl's hoops to release.

Not to mention Axl's lyrical direction doesn't fit the two guitarists that just ooze effortless no fucks given sleazy rock n roll.

But I do feel we are still getting all Axl's material via different route.