FDA approves genetically engineered salmon that grows twice as quickly

SoulMonster

In a landmark event the US' FDA has approved (for sale and human consumption) the first genetically engineered animal: A salmon variety called AquAdvantage that is developed and marketed by the US biotech company AquaBounty Technologies.

As far as I have heard, this salmon variety contains an additional gene encoding a salmon growth hormon that has been engineered to be continuously expressed, causing elevated levels of growth hormone in the fish blood stream which results in rapid growth.

Dr. Ian Malcolm: Don't you see the danger, John, inherent in what you're doing here? Genetic power is the most awesome force the planet's ever seen, but you wield it like a kid that's found his dad's gun.
Donald Gennaro: It's hardly appropriate to start hurling generalizations...
Dr. Ian Malcolm: If I may... Um, I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it, and slapped it on a plastic lunchbox, and now
[bangs on the table]
Dr. Ian Malcolm: you're selling it, you wanna sell it. Well...
John Hammond: I don't think you're giving us our due credit. Our scientists have done things which nobody's ever done before...
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should.
John Hammond: Condors. Condors are on the verge of extinction...
Dr. Ian Malcolm: [shaking his head] No...
John Hammond: If I was to create a flock of condors on this island, you wouldn't have anything to say.
Dr. Ian Malcolm: No, hold on. This isn't some species that was obliterated by deforestation, or the building of a dam. Dinosaurs had their shot, and nature selected them for extinction.
John Hammond: I simply don't understand this Luddite attitude, especially from a scientist. I mean, how can we stand in the light of discovery, and not act?
Dr. Ian Malcolm: What's so great about discovery? It's a violent, penetrative act that scars what it explores. What you call discovery, I call the rape of the natural world

• Like 1

I am imagining this is for farm raised Salmon which I refuse to eat in any case as they contain bad stuff.

http://draxe.com/the-dangers-of-farmed-fish/

That being said with all the genetic manipulations going on how long before Jurrasic Park becomes a reality and we are eating TRex burgers?

Edited by classicrawker

I am imagining this is for farm raised Salmon which I refuse to eat in any case as they contain bad stuff.

Farmed salmon is completely safe to eat. But they are not as healthy as wild-caught salmon, in particular they contain less omega-3 fatty acids. [side note, a few weeks back I took part in an application to the Norwegian Research Council to fund a project with the objective of producing omega-3 fatty acids for the fish feed industry through the use of geneticalyl engineered bacteria.]

The farmed salmon that has now been produced by the FDA (which is the regulatory body in the US meant to assess public danger and approve new foods) is also perfectly safe to eat.

I didn't really make this thread because "OMG genetically modified food is so unsafe!!" -- because that is SO 1990s -- but because of the change in dynamics introduction of this salmon may have in the global fish industry.

• Like 1

Farmed salmon is completely safe to eat. But they are not as healthy as wild-caught salmon, in particular they contain less omega-3 fatty acids. [side note, a few weeks back I took part in an application to the Norwegian Research Council to fund a project with the objective of producing omega-3 fatty acids for the fish feed industry through the use of geneticalyl engineered bacteria.]

The farmed salmon that has now been produced by the FDA (which is the regulatory body in the US meant to assess public danger and approve new foods) is also perfectly safe to eat.

I didn't really make this thread because "OMG genetically modified food is so unsafe!!" -- because that is SO 1990s -- but because of the change in dynamics introduction of this salmon may have in the global fish industry.[/qthere

Safe is a relative term. Considering the bad stuff farm raised contains I will pass. IMHO GMO's have not had sufficient time to be vetted as completely safe and the FDA has approved many drugs which caused serious health issues with time so you will excuse me if I don't ake their word as gospel.

Scientists should stay aware from mother nature. Did Mary Shelly not teach them anything?

Beware of Germans? :lol:

People of a Germanic persuasion tend to make really good scientists.

Yes, there was a certain Josef Mengele around the 30s and 40s in Germany who made quite an impression didn't he? :lol: He spent his latter years creating villiages of the damned in remote parts of South America i hear :lol:

• Like 1

This is a great book, no matter what :

the_unabomber_manifesto_industrial_socie

Translated in French by Jaime Semprun and published in France by "Encyclopédie des Nuisances", the same translator and publisher as Orwell's Essays. I'm ready to bet that if Orwell was still alive, his thoughts would be close to Kaczynski's.

41LTppn0efL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I didn't really make this thread because "OMG genetically modified food is so unsafe!!" -- because that is SO 1990s -- but because of the change in dynamics introduction of this salmon may have in the global fish industry.

It is fascinating how not so long ago people were ALL ABOUT "creating" food - whether it was vegetables or Salmon - in an attempt to help solve world hunger.

Fast forward to today, when it is a reality..........and nobody wants to eat it!

I've ate farmed Salmon and it was delicious.

http://www.alaskasalmonranching.com/barack-obama-supports-fish-farming/

And Obama is all for farmed Salmon, so it must be alright, safe and healthy.

Fortunately for me, I can literally see the ocean from my office window (it's about 150 yards away from my building) and I've got a freezer full of wild salmon that I caught myself, so it's not really an issue unless I'm traveling and go to a restaurant.

Edited by Apollo