Is there a real friendship between Axl n Slash? or simply business

"Axl, it is said, is a notoriously difficult character to deal with. How do the two of you get along as people, outside the band?" "We love each other" [slash in "The Most Dangerous Band in the World by Mick Wall, 1988]

INTERVIEW: Do you think that having a relationship with a band has to do with the same things as having a relationship with a person?

AXL: Yes, l think so. Especially with Slash and it's definitely a marriage. (Interview Magazine, May, 1992)

Slash on the process of writing with Axl (Calling Howard Stern in 1996):

It's a matter of sitting down with somebody you love very much and like going 'you know let's try this' and he goes 'yeah, it's a great idea'

Me and Axl and Duff are obviously way the fuck more close and personal than they can even possibly put out in some magazine. (Coiled and Ready

Rolling Stone, April 1995)

Slash on splitting with Axl and divorce: In retrospect, it’s kind of interesting that I suddenly had disconnected with the two most long-term, closest relationships I had had up to that point, just a matter of months apart. (....)

(Anthony Bozza – Slash).

(...)There were moments there when I loved him to death

(Anthony Bozza – Slash)

[…]The bottom line is that nothing can come between Slash and I, and as long as we have that bond we have Guns N’ Roses. (Hit Parader Axl Rose Interview, 1992)

We'll just sit up all night and talk, and it's me and Axl talking. It goes beyond anything you could write down… (Slash, Tears Before Bedtime, Q, July 1991)

Well, somehow I don't think you can really go back to the "most long-term and closest relationship" you had had up to the age of over 30 years old which is the most important and most formative period of your life in an unemotional and purely business oriented way. Humans don't work that way and they are humans in the first place, musicians in the second...

• Like 1

"Axl, it is said, is a notoriously difficult character to deal with. How do the two of you get along as people, outside the band?" "We love each other" [slash in "The Most Dangerous Band in the World by Mick Wall, 1988]

INTERVIEW: Do you think that having a relationship with a band has to do with the same things as having a relationship with a person?

AXL: Yes, l think so. Especially with Slash and it's definitely a marriage. (Interview Magazine, May, 1992)

It's a matter of sitting down with somebody you love very much and like going 'you know let's try this' and he goes 'yeah, it's a great idea'

Me and Axl and Duff are obviously way the fuck more close and personal than they can even possibly put out in some magazine. (Coiled and Ready

Slash on splitting with Axl and divorce: In retrospect, it’s kind of interesting that I suddenly had disconnected with the two most long-term, closest relationships I had had up to that point, just a matter of months apart. (....)

(Anthony Bozza – Slash).

(Anthony Bozza – Slash)

[…]The bottom line is that nothing can come between Slash and I, and as long as we have that bond we have Guns N’ Roses. (Hit Parader Axl Rose Interview, 1992)

We'll just sit up all night and talk, and it's me and Axl talking. It goes beyond anything you could write down… (Slash, Tears Before Bedtime, Q, July 1991)

Well, somehow I don't think you can really go back to the "most long-term and closest relationship" you had had up to the age of over 30 years old which is the most important and most formative period of your life in an unemotional and purely business oriented way. Humans don't work that way and they are humans in the first place, musicians in the second...

Once you've hade that kind of relationship or friendship with someone, for so long, it's always there, in one way or another. Even if you're not friends with that person anymore, it's still there... somewhere...

• Like 1

Both Slash and Axl are financialy secure for the rest of their lives. AND they're in their 50ies now, so I very much doubt they would force themselves do anything they don't really want to. They may not "love" each other but my guess is, it's more than a "business" relationship.

• Like 1

(Anthony Bozza – Slash).

(Anthony Bozza – Slash)

Once you've hade that kind of relationship or friendship with someone, for so long, it's always there, in one way or another. Even if you're not friends with that person anymore, it's still there... somewhere...

That's exactly what I meant. Plus, this relationship didn't end up beacuse it burned out or because they got bored with each other and just took different paths, it ended with a huge explosion (guess nobody knows till this day why exactly), large amount of tears and drama and hurt feelings that Axl at least had been carrying with him until the reconciliation. So once the latter finally happened, I'm sure it wasn't just O, hi, how about a tour and making millions of bucks? Must have been a long process and personal as hell which is why we'll never learn how it went...

(Anthony Bozza – Slash).

(Anthony Bozza – Slash)

anything that was said by Slash in those days should be taken with a pinch of salt as he was drunk/high most of the time.

(Anthony Bozza – Slash).

(Anthony Bozza – Slash)

That's exactly what I meant. Plus, this relationship didn't end up beacuse it burned out or because they got bored with each other and just took different paths, it ended with a huge explosion (guess nobody knows till this day why exactly), large amount of tears and drama and hurt feelings that Axl at least had been carrying with him until the reconciliation. So once the latter finally happened, I'm sure it wasn't just O, hi, how about a tour and making millions of bucks? Must have been a long process and personal as hell which is why we'll never learn how it went...

I agree. And that's why it took 20 years. And I don't think that Axl (or Slash and Duff) would ever do it just because of the money. Because it wasn't about the money in the first place, when they started. It was about the music, about being real...

(Anthony Bozza – Slash).

(Anthony Bozza – Slash)

anything that was said by Slash in those days should be taken with a pinch of salt as he was drunk/high most of the time.

I'd say the exact opposite. Anything said at that time can be taken seriously and anything he said after the split should be taken with a big pinch of salt because he was bitter. How many married couples who were once crazilly in love keep saying after the divorce that "this man never did anything good for me in my life"? It's just typical.

Plus Slash's interviews from the old days were in the most part very sensible, explanatory,informative, thought over and interesting. They had nothing to do with drunk mumbling. Take a listen for yourself. He wasn't so drunk as not to know what he says except for maybe a few occasions but even these occasions were not during scheduled interviews. He really had the work ethics.

• Like 1

(Anthony Bozza – Slash).

(Anthony Bozza – Slash)

I'd say the exact opposite. Anything said at that time can be taken seriously and anything he said after the split should be taken with a big pinch of salt because he was bitter. How many married couples who were once crazilly in love keep saying after the divorce that "this man never did anything good for me in my life"? It's just typical.

Plus Slash's interviews from the old days were in the most part very sensible, explanatory,informative, thought over and interesting. They had nothing to do with drunk mumbling. Take a listen for yourself. He wasn't so drunk as not to know what he says except for maybe a few occasions but even these occasions were not during scheduled interviews. He really had the work ethics.

Also, ''in vino veritas''!

(Anthony Bozza – Slash).

(Anthony Bozza – Slash)

You know what they say - what sober thinks drunk says :lol:

Mick and Keith were certainly social buddies before Mick started cavorting a jet set celebrity lifestyle and frequenting circles of models and intelligentsia. Keith had his own druggie circle which Bianca looked down uppon. It did not help that Mick shagged Anita on the set of Performance either - alleged.

Edited by DieselDaisy

axl and slash were never social buddies, but they have a lot of respect for each other as musicians/artists...like mick jagger and keith richards.

How do you know that? (that they were never social buddies).

Marc Canter, a close friend of the band, said so.

:blink:

Edited by GNR-girl

Mick and Keith were certainly social buddies before Mick started cavorting a jet set celebrity lifestyle and frequenting circles of models and intelligentsia. Keith had his own druggie circle which Bianca looked down uppon. It did not help that Mick shagged Anita on the set of Performance either - alleged.

Keith and Brian Jones were closer in the very early days.

axl and slash were never social buddies, but they have a lot of respect for each other as musicians/artists...like mick jagger and keith richards.

How do you know that? (that they were never social buddies).

Marc Canter, a close friend of the band, said so.

:blink:

Yeah, thats actually pretty common knowledge. I think even Axl said they don't hang in the same circles. They were two very very different people. They connected musically. I don't think either one, other than to hype up the band, would have called each other their best friend, whereas that was probably true for the Stones, the Beatles.

Also, Slash ain't broke.....but.......he probably took a hit in his divorce. Now he gets to cash in big time and Perla gets nothing out of it.

Can't these big divorce trials hammer you for 50% of your fortune?

Yup. Like Led Zepp said: Alimony alimony paying your bills!

Well I can guarantee Axl never even had a "real friendship" with the hired kids in "Nu Guns". Hell they had zero comradeship at all. Worse case he and Slash can fake it and be 1000 times more authentic looking than Nu Guns ever dreamed. And remember all the wannabe and posing those kids did....that was LOL. They acted totally different when on stage with Axl. I think they seriously believed they were Guns n Roses. Kinda like when I used to play air guitar and pretend I was Jimmy Page

Edited by Estranged1

Well I can guarantee Axl never even had a "real friendship" with the hired kids in "Nu Guns". Hell they had zero comradeship at all. Worse case he and Slash can fake it and be 1000 times more authentic looking than Nu Guns ever dreamed. And remember all the wannabe and posing those kids did....that was LOL. They acted totally different when on stage with Axl. I think they seriously believed they were Guns n Roses. Kinda like when I used to play air guitar and pretend I was Jimmy Page

most of Nu GnR just seemed absolutely terrified of Axl! Haha

Also, Slash ain't broke.....but.......he probably took a hit in his divorce. Now he gets to cash in big time and Perla gets nothing out of it.

Maybe Slash held up the reunion, in order to get the divorce done? If Perla new it was in the offing you can bet she would have had it as a settlement clause. Axl could have been warm to the ideas for years.