5 Dead In School Shooting in Canada

bran

RIP whoever lost lives today. It was an aboriginal township. Hope we find out what happened as in why??

Probably muslims!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's time to toughen up on gun ownership and do what Australia did with the buy back, we've not had any mass shootings since 1996. It doesn't mean you can't own a gun, it just means you can't own guns that are fast shooting like semi automatics etc. Surely Canada can do that.

• Like 2

RIP whoever lost lives today. It was an aboriginal township. Hope we find out what happened as in why??

Probably muslims!

I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's time to toughen up on gun ownership and do what Australia did with the buy back, we've not had any mass shootings since 1996. It doesn't mean you can't own a gun, it just means you can't own guns that are fast shooting like semi automatics etc. Surely Canada can do that.

The laws here are very tight already. Nothing like the USA

• Like 1

Probably muslims!

The laws here are very tight already. Nothing like the USA

Thanks gunsguy I didn't realise Canada had tough laws. We've been a bit bombarded by the NRA in Australia due to our gun laws, trying to make out that there's mayhem because we don't have guns etc. Pointing out Port Arthur's mass shooting but not revealing it was 1996 when we had slack gun laws, that showed that even though the laws were pretty loose on gun ownership back then people still didn't carry them. So really the buy back wasn't too big an issue for lots of people as they were getting paid for guns they owned but never used anyway.

if some nut job wants a gun they'll get one

True but how do you explain no mass shootings since 1996? Crikey that's 20yrs in April, most illegal guns are in the hands of bikies & drug dealers who don't go out to shoot the general public. They use them against each other.

True but how do you explain no mass shootings since 1996? Crikey that's 20yrs in April, most illegal guns are in the hands of bikies & drug dealers who don't go out to shoot the general public. They use them against each other.

I've said it a hundred times before, but America doesn't have a gun problem so much as it has problems with mental health, inner cities, poverty and social isolation.

• Like 1

I've said it a hundred times before, but America doesn't have a gun problem so much as it has problems with mental health, inner cities, poverty and social isolation.

exactly.

as for canada and less shootings,they have about 1/10th the population of the us that is sparsely populated. plus i doubt canada has that big of a gang problem and is hardly the melting pot america is. when you bring people over with different races, cultures and beliefs and you put them in cities with millions of others who dont share their beliefs or world views, you are going to have conflict, then throw in a southern border that is wide open to traffickers bringing in shit tons of drugs daily to be sold in poor inner cities,its a mixture as to why there is more shooting in the us than other places.

Edited by bran
  • Like 2

exactly.

as for canada and less shootings,they have about 1/10th the population of the us that is sparsely populated. plus i doubt canada has that big of a gang problem and is hardly the melting pot america is. when you bring people over with different races, cultures and beliefs and you put them in cities with millions of others who dont share their beliefs or world views, you are going to have conflict, then throw in a southern border that is wide open to traffickers bringing in shit tons of drugs daily to be sold in poor inner cities,its a mixture as to why there is more shooting in the us than other places.

"I'm from Toronto, ese!"

• Like 1

exactly.

Most mass murders aren't due to cultural conflict, though? It is due to mentally deranged people who have easy access to weapons. Sure, USA could disregard the fact that their population have very easy access to weapons and instead make all focus on trying to fix the largers social issues they struggle with, and they really need to work on inequality issues, helping the mentally ill, reducing poverty, but a MUCH quicker solution to the problem with be to restrict access to guns. I think the solution is a combination: work at fixing the social issues and ban certain weapons while enforcing stricter access to the rest.

• Like 1

exactly.

Most mass murders aren't due to cultural conflict, though? It is due to mentally deranged people who have easy access to weapons. Sure, USA could disregard the fact that their population have very easy access to weapons and instead make all focus on trying to fix the largers social issues they struggle with, and they really need to work on inequality issues, helping the mentally ill, reducing poverty, but a MUCH quicker solution to the problem with be to restrict access to guns. I think the solution is a combination: work at fixing the social issues and ban certain weapons while enforcing stricter access to the rest.

im talking more along the lines of where the bulk of our shootings come from.

exactly.

The problem is that America simply has too many guns to make a reduction in them a viable solution and the reason why America has so many guns is due to its frontier mentality. That being said, America had way more guns per household in decades past than it does now; gun ownership has suffered a HUGE decline over the years. Lastly, look at various states; traditionally many states that have strict gun ownership also have high amounts of crime and that crime doesn't go down, much less go away, when new laws are brought in, yet states such as New Hampshire, where Bran is from, have crime rates comparable to the lowest countries in Europe. You don't need to have an education in sociology/social psychology/criminal psychology (though I do) to know that people who tend to commit the most crimes are those at the bottom rungs of society and that restricting guns will have little effect unless other issues are also tackled.

America is a huge country with millions of people living in congested metropolitan areas and a lot of them have no access to mental health facilities, education, jobs or any of the multitude of things that keep people out of trouble. I'd also like to say that the mass media blanket coverage of spree killing is detrimental to lowering the cases of them happening. Most people who commit spree killings are out for revenge against a specific group of people (Columbine) or want to gain notoriety by their actions, and it is this second group that are fueled by the media as they believe that people will "know their name" for all of history. However, near enough all spree killers have mental issues, be they schizophrenia, depression, social anxiety etc, but without proper treatment they are left helpless. A similar country is Japan, which also has massive numbers of disaffected people, but the manifestation of their problems tends to be things such as social isolation and agoraphobia rather than killing sprees; Japan has virtually no guns, but it also doesn't have a media frenzy over violent acts in the real world, either.

Edited by PappyTron
  • Like 2

exactly.

The problem is that America simply has too many guns to make a reduction in them a viable solution and the reason why America has so many guns is due to its frontier mentality. That being said, America had way more guns per household in decades past than it does now; gun ownership has suffered a HUGE decline over the years. Lastly, look at various states; traditionally many states that have strict gun ownership also have high amounts of crime and that crime doesn't go down, much less go away, when new laws are brought in, yet states such as New Hampshire, where Bran is from, have crime rates comparable to the lowest countries in Europe. You don't need to have an education in sociology/social psychology/criminal psychology (though I do) to know that people who tend to commit the most crimes are those at the bottom rungs of society and that restricting guns will have little effect unless other issues are also tackled.

America is a huge country with millions of people living in congested metropolitan areas and a lot of them have no access to mental health facilities, education, jobs or any of the multitude of things that keep people out of trouble. I'd also like to say that the mass media blanket coverage of spree killing is detrimental to lowering the cases of them happening. Most people who commit spree killings are out for revenge against a specific group of people (Columbine) or want to gain notoriety by their actions, and it is this second group that are fueled by the media as they believe that people will "know their name" for all of history. However, near enough all spree killers have mental issues, be they schizophrenia, depression, social anxiety etc, but without proper treatment they are left helpless. A similar country is Japan, which also has massive numbers of disaffected people, but the manifestation of their problems tends to be things such as social isolation and agoraphobia rather than killing sprees; Japan has virtually no guns, but it also doesn't have a media frenzy over violent acts in the real world, either.

very well said. our gun laws are getting lighter as well https://politics.concordmonitor.com/2016/01/gov-state/as-obama-tightens-federal-gun-laws-n-h-looks-to-loosen-regulations/

plus in new hampshire of a percentage of people who own guns per 100,000 is quite high. i read NH has a population of around 1.3 million people, but we have around 1.1 million guns, yet our murder rate per 100,000 is .4 which is lower than greece and canada and is right around italy. trust me NH is hardly a red state, we are as purple as it gets and lean democrat most of the time, vermont and maine are far bluer than us.its not even just gun murders, just look at the states in my area

murder per 100k gun related homicides per 100k

new hampshire 1.0 .4

vermont 1.1 .3

maine 1.8 .8

massachusetts 3.2 1.8

connecticut 3.7 2.7

massachusetts and connecticut have far harsher gun laws than NH,VT or ME. one of the big problems in NH,VT,ME is heroin is a major problem its everywhere. where does it come from? worcester and boston massachusetts and hartford connecticut, all coming up from NYC.just last year 29 people were arrested in hartford on gang charges as well as trafficking heroin and guns. it only gets worse in a place like LA, chicago, NYC etc these are major hubs for where the drugs go once inside the US from mexico. gangs from mexico come into these areas, which were majority black neighborhoods guess what happens next? black kids sitting at the bus stop is shot by some latino gang members in a drive by. then the black gangs retaliate shootup the wrong house killing some latino children. this is where i was getting at, in the us every issue is interwoven with a bunch of problems. its not just one isolated case it happens all the time. its why the whole "it works for x country it should work for the us" is such bullshit. when a country like norway has a population less than LA its a little easier.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/25/local/la-me-0126-compton-20130126

you want to cut gun violence down in america? legalize and regulate drugs in america. this will basically destroy any need for gangs. then the us needs to get off its ass and work on its mental health system like pappy said so many people have mental illnesses that cant get the help they need or they put them on prescriptions that make things worse. more has to be done and better research needs to be done on medications and the like to move forward.

• Like 1

exactly.

very well said. our gun laws are getting lighter as well https://politics.concordmonitor.com/2016/01/gov-state/as-obama-tightens-federal-gun-laws-n-h-looks-to-loosen-regulations/

plus in new hampshire of a percentage of people who own guns per 100,000 is quite high. i read NH has a population of around 1.3 million people, but we have around 1.1 million guns, yet our murder rate per 100,000 is .4 which is lower than greece and canada and is right around italy. trust me NH is hardly a red state, we are as purple as it gets and lean democrat most of the time, vermont and maine are far bluer than us.its not even just gun murders, just look at the states in my area

murder per 100k gun related homicides per 100k

new hampshire 1.0 .4

vermont 1.1 .3

maine 1.8 .8

massachusetts 3.2 1.8

connecticut 3.7 2.7

massachusetts and connecticut have far harsher gun laws than NH,VT or ME. one of the big problems in NH,VT,ME is heroin is a major problem its everywhere. where does it come from? worcester and boston massachusetts and hartford connecticut, all coming up from NYC.just last year 29 people were arrested in hartford on gang charges as well as trafficking heroin and guns. it only gets worse in a place like LA, chicago, NYC etc these are major hubs for where the drugs go once inside the US from mexico. gangs from mexico come into these areas, which were majority black neighborhoods guess what happens next? black kids sitting at the bus stop is shot by some latino gang members in a drive by. then the black gangs retaliate shootup the wrong house killing some latino children. this is where i was getting at, in the us every issue is interwoven with a bunch of problems. its not just one isolated case it happens all the time. its why the whole "it works for x country it should work for the us" is such bullshit. when a country like norway has a population less than LA its a little easier.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/jan/25/local/la-me-0126-compton-20130126

you want to cut gun violence down in america? legalize and regulate drugs in america. this will basically destroy any need for gangs. then the us needs to get off its ass and work on its mental health system like pappy said so many people have mental illnesses that cant get the help they need or they put them on prescriptions that make things worse. more has to be done and better research needs to be done on medications and the like to move forward.

Great information there bran, you really do know your stuff.

The mass shootings we had here prior to gun control was committed by Julian Knight, Australian with a gripe because he couldn't get into the police force so shot motorists on a main road as they drove by. Since being in jail he's been labelled a vexatious litigant by taking up so much court time.

Another was an Australian with a gripe against an employee so went into the building where his target worked & shot up the offices until he jumped out of a window killing himself.

Of course Port Arthur the worst of all where 35 tourists were killed again by an Australian who is what you might call "simple" or even labelled autistic. No social skills, had to change schools so many times, his father tried so hard when he grew up with work and taking care of him that it got too much and he suicided. He just had a lot of mental problems and is or was a millionaire unless the money has been taken from him.

None of it was cultural, all planned it and were just not happy with life.

Perhaps, but it's still irrelevant in regards to guns. Remove guns from the equation and less people will get shot.

Perhaps, but it's still irrelevant in regards to guns. Remove guns from the equation and less people will get shot.

It's entirely relevant because you simply cannot remove the guns from America, either through law or through practical ability, but you can work on the problems of mental health, inner cities and gangs.

• Like 1

It's entirely relevant because you simply cannot remove the guns from America, either through law or through practical ability, but you can work on the problems of mental health, inner cities and gangs.

Sorry, but I disagree. You can do both; it's not the binary proposition you're making it out to be.

The argument that the U.S. is too far gone with respect to guns is absurd. Sure, there are always going to be people who get around whatever laws you pass, but there are many who won't. Studies have shown that laws that prohibit gun ownership to those convicted of domestic abuse have resulted in fewer murders of domestic abuse victims.

You can pass laws that target those who are most likely to use guns for the purpose of targeting others. That doesn't mean that the laws are full-proof, but it's ridiculous to argue that lives wouldn't be saved by limiting or preventing access of guns to individuals with a history of domestic abuse, mental illness, or criminal records.

exactly.

Not true. Canada is an incredibly diverse country, particularly in the nation's cities. I suppose you've never been to Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver? Toronto is one of the most multicultural cities I've ever been to (and I've been to 38 countries so far). I would say it's on par with New York city for diversity. And while Canada has 1/10 the population of the U.S., somewhere between 80-85 percent living cities with populations over 30,000. And we do have gang problems here, particularly in Toronto and Vancouver. However, Toronto is the fourth largest city in North America (after Mexico City, New York, and LA), but the murder rate is 2.0 per 100,000k people (compared to Boston with 9.0, New York with 5.1, and San Fransisco at 8.6).

The argument that diversity causes conflict doesn't even make sense when you look within the United States. Some of the most diverse cities have the lowest murder rates. Murder rates in the U.S. have everything to do with policy, either with respect to guns, districting, race, economics, and social-welfare. It's not an accident that Chicago is as segregated today as it was 30 or 40 years ago.