Duff's role in the reunion

The majority of people here seem to believe that Duff was the catalyst for the reunion, but i could swear that Duff explicitly stated his in last book that he never saw Axl while on tour with unless it was on stage, so If thats true then I don't think had has much influence as is being speculated here. Thoughts?

I can't say anything about that stuff from the book (haven't read the book), but I thought Duff publicly said he and Axl really clicked again when he toured with him that last time. I thought he said they went back to telling knock knock jokes, just like old times (now they text them to each other, I think he said). Isn't there a video interview where he talked about how they had to play at a higher altitude than normal and it was a really physically strenuous thing to do but Axl didn't miss a beat performing at the level, and leading up to that performance they spent some time together? The video interviews I've watched from Duff speaking about that time together make it seem like they saw each other quite a bit and talked a ton during that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUIeCnElI7A

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

I think when it all comes out Duff's role in the reunion will not be what people think it is. I kinda hope the big 3 don't discuss it with the press. The press will just vulture that shit in a vicious way. Im sure it was much more grain and maybe Axl experienced something meaningful in his personal life or had an epiphany that allowed an opportunity to open up.

I think Duff's role will be the bass player in the Guns N' Roses reunion.

Your always the best man. and i love the "invisible" reference in your thing. I love that song. Love left a window in the sky.

Edited by Carlos Castaneda

I think when it all comes out Duff's role in the reunion will not be what people think it is. I kinda hope the big 3 don't discuss it with the press. The press will just vulture that shit in a vicious way. Im sure it was much more grain and maybe Axl experienced something meaningful in his personal life or had an epiphany that allowed an opportunity to open up.

If it's easier for Axl, Slash, and Duff, I'm fine with never getting a public explanation on Slash and Axl reconnecting. We have Slash and Axl on social media promoting concerts they will be doing together. This is so great. If they're friends and it's easier for them to just not go into all the details, I'm cool with that. Can't wait to see Duff, Slash, and Axl on a stage together again and I hope it works out amazingly well. I hope Steven gets to get in on some of this action, I'm sure Izzy will do some shows. I think it would be fun and a nice nod to the band's history to let Matt and Gilby do some performances as well.

• Like 1

I don't think the guys are going to be talking about how they started working together again. Maybe one day if Axl feels like explaining it then you will find out. I still think that if Axl and Duff didn't bump into each other, this may not have happened for many more years. Also enough time has past for all the dust to settle. I also think that Perla being out of the picture had to of helped. Life is just too short and I think the timing of all this seams right for where they all are in their lifes

Was it just an accidental bumping into each other that got them talking to each other again?

Duff and Axl were staying in the same hotel in 2010. Duff found out Axl was there and said hello, and was on stage with him shortly after.

Is this where Beta or possibly others didn't want to let Duff in at first? Citing Axl being in the shower, and Duff basically said, "don't worry, I've seen him naked plenty of times."

I never read that outside of fan accounts, just wondering if true.

The majority of people here seem to believe that Duff was the catalyst for the reunion, but i could swear that Duff explicitly stated his in last book that he never saw Axl while on tour with unless it was on stage, so If thats true then I don't think had has much influence as is being speculated here. Thoughts?

Did he say anything more about that (haven't read the book) ?

Axl's role in the reunion is massive because he did not kick Duff out of his hotel room when he entered.

I always wondered about that.. I remember readin axls interview with del James from 2009 where he said he was cool with duff and Izzy joining the band on stage but not slash or Steven. Clearly beta and the rest of Brazil were always cool with duff. So props to duff for making the effort to join axl and make all this possible

I agree that I doubt they will be talking publicly about how it all came about -- but my money would still be on Duff having at least some role in making this all happen. He seems to get Axl in a way that others don't, based on some of the points he brings up in his book, and I wouldn't be surprised if Axl really trusted him. Even during that 2006 interview cycle, Axl named Duff as the only former GnR member he'd want to work with again. And that was years before the two of them met up again.

Edited by stella

Did he say anything more about that (haven't read the book) ?

No. He just said he never saw axl the entire time unless they were on stage.

That's specifically referencing the situation during the Illusions tour. He also says in his book that he and Axl talked a lot in the AfD/HellHouse era and had some very deep conversations, and that they talked after the Illusions tour. And as mentioned, since they reconciled in 2010 they've apparently been talking a lot and have become great friends again.