Adler Out as Drummer In '88?

January 10 show. Not much is known about this gig, unfortunately. In addition to Used To Love Her they played Patience, but the rest of the setlist is unknown. Howard Teman sat in for Steven on this gig, presumable due to Steven having broken his hand some time before, and Coury not being available (Coury played the January 5 show Santa Monica Civic Auditorium). Steven was back behind the drums on their next show, January 21 at The Cathouse.

He punched a lightpost while he was under the influence and broke his hand. There are photos of him floating around where he's got the cast . Fred Coury actually did more than a couple of shows...he finished the tour with Alice Cooper with them. GnROnTour says that Fred was there for about a month -- he did the Alice Cooper shows from 12-18 onward, and Adler's first show back wasn't until the middle/end of January. Which makes sense; someone with a cast like that wasn't exactly going to be back in a week.

Funny story I remember reading: Coury was apparently a GnR fan and had one of their songs (I am thinking WTTJ but I can't remember 100%) as his answering machine music. When someone in GnR management called him to invite him to fill in for Adler, the message he left was something like "Fred, learn this song and call me." LOL.

tumblr_nuv43mrw8I1ufgcxno1_1280.jpg

Edited by stella

1 hour ago, stella said:

He punched a lightpost while he was under the influence and broke his hand. There are photos of him floating around where he's got the cast . Fred Coury actually did more than a couple of shows...he finished the tour with Alice Cooper with them. GnROnTour says that Fred was there for about a month -- he did the Alice Cooper shows from 12-18 onward, and Adler's first show back wasn't until the middle/end of January. Which makes sense; someone with a cast like that wasn't exactly going to be back in a week.

Funny story I remember reading: Coury was apparently a GnR fan and had one of their songs (I am thinking WTTJ but I can't remember 100%) as his answering machine music. When someone in GnR management called him to invite him to fill in for Adler, the message he left was something like "Fred, learn this song and call me." LOL.

tumblr_nuv43mrw8I1ufgcxno1_1280.jpg

To add to that, Coury played 9 gigs with GN'R, from Dec 17, 1987 to Jan 5, 1988. He played more gigs with GN'R than Tracii did. The next drummer on this list of most gigs is Brain with 44 shows.

20 hours ago, Apollo said:

What is the story behind this 1988 video from The Whiskey?
Axl is ON FIRE - sounds amazing.

Who the hell is the drummer? Why wasn't Adler there?

Of course Axl sounds amazing, of course Axl is on fire

he was like that on every show that I listened to or watched from 1985 to somewhere around 1991.

He was also like that on every studio recording he did during this very same period.

He was the best singer ever on those days.

Unsurpassed, impossible to duplicate.

I am not talking only about his voice (which was ALSO the best but due to his singing ways has deteriorated as we all know).

I am talking about his "performances", about what he used to do, to give (to let loose) onstage.

I am talking about what you may call "FIRE", but you can also call "mojo" or "desire to perform/to be onstage" or the ability to "fell the music while singing" or to "le loose" or to "express his feelings" or whatever other definition you can find.

You watch and you listen to Axl Rose singing on those Guns n Roses years and you can not even begin to define what is happening.

It seems like Axl is able to let loose all this rage, to channel all these emotions into his singing, it seems like the music is somehow flowing through him.

i am sure someone more articulate can express this "thing" with better words.

Axl was the best singer for a lot of reasons, but specially because he was able to combine this "thing" with a supreme vocal ability and vocal reach.

No other singer in rock music has ever had this combination. Not before, not since.

Then it all began to change.

We all know what happened to Axls voice. He sang harder than anyone ever did in rock music for YEARS and blew his vocal chords.

What is puzzling is how Axl seems to have lost this "thing" that he used to have on his performances.

He clearly changed his ways onstage in mid-1991. It was basically the same time that GNR was falling apart for all the reasons that we know (Axl didnt want to tour, Izzy was leaving, Slash and Duff were turning into zombies etc etc etc) and for all the other reasons that we will probably never know.

I can not draw a line but if I had to id say that this "thing" that Axl had onstage disappeared more or less simultaneously to Izzy leaving.

And Axl was never the same onstage.

What he was able to offer then -- 1992 and 1993 -- was somewhat a shadow of his former stage performances.

From a distant observer, it seems like he was clearly not happy to be there.

(This can also explain all the lateness, all the rants etc etc etc and goes also to explain the break up after the tour)

Except, of course, for a few glorious exceptions here and there.

Curiously, all these glimpses of this "thing" seemed to happen when Axl had someone else onstage (Tie Your Mother Down with Brian May Wembley 1992, Steven and Joe on the Paris PPV show, Ronnie Wood and Izzy and Michael Monroe on Milton Keynes 1993 etc etc etc) or when HE was the guest (Come Together with Springsteen)

On those special --mostly ONE-OFF -- performances, Axl seemed to be able to perform in that unique, distinctive way again.

My guess is that when he was playing with Slash, Duff and the rest of the 1992-1993 circus, which everyone including him knew that wasnt Guns n Roses, he wasnt able to let go off the "____" ("bitterness", "misery", "hate" or whatever else) that he was feeling towards Slash and/or Duff (and/or Geffen and/or whoever else) or towards whatever shit that was happening in his life at the time. And, due to that, he just wasnt able to perform like he used to.

But once you have guests onstage, you stop all this "fighting", even if just for a song, or just for a gig, and you make your guests feel good. (Thats somewhat similar to what happens when you are having any sort of argument or "fight" at home and then you receive a guest and then you just somehow stop this argument or "fighting" for a few minutes, hours, whatever, until the guest leaves and it all goes back to where it was).

===

after 1993, i cant really comment on anything axl did onstage. I cant not tell you if he ever got his mojo back or not

cause I really was never able to watch him perform as "Guns n Roses" alongside with those "professional" and "talented" and "hard-working" musicians that he chose to play with.

I have tried, specially the new Axl songs, since they have some good moments here and there. But they are just not good enough to keep me interested.

The GNR songs? A while ago I decided Id stop watching and listening to that Axl "band" play GNR songs.

And I decided that Id keep listening to GNR playing those songs instead.

From 1986 to 1991, of course.

===

Now back to topic.

Back to this late 1987 and early 1988 period when Steven broke his hand and couldnt play for GNR.

The best thing I can tell you about this time is this

I think you could use some CALIFORNIA XMAS and some HAPPY NEW YEAR

guns-n-roses-merry-xmas-happy-new-year-2