GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

47 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I haven't read the book, but Mick Wall recently apologized for writing it and took it off the market.

Did he really? Well, good for him for doing that. I have to say it's something I never expected from him, but that's very cool that he apologized and pulled the book.

• Like 1

Awww the tiny Axl pics and gif are all just too cute :wub: and the pics with kids, thanks to all who posted them. I love this thread so much :)

@marlingrl03 Noooo!!! I hate stress before a show, it'll all be worth it in the end though. 

@Blackstar I remember all that Paris 92 stuff quite well. They had to postpone Manchester, which of course caused a massive backlash in the UK media (not that they were very favourable in the first place). It was bad, as people had already started traveling for the show and were hearing of its cancellation over the radio. The reason given was Axl was suffering from exhaustion, but I remember it being widely reported that he couldn't even speak sentences at the time :( 

They did play Manc about a week later, only a 15 song set though as I recall. And terrible reviews. 

And I do remember reading something about the turmoil of the UYI tour in an old book that I've not seen for ages and subsequently lost, can't remember what it's called but it goes on about Dionysus a lot and the writer hates Axl more than Mick Wall. In particular I think it had a bit about Axl wanting to fly Erin out for some UYI shows. That might be where that's come from. 

And Greece makes so much sense, where all the greatest thinkers are from ;)

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, stella said:
1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

I haven't read the book, but Mick Wall recently apologized for writing it and took it off the market.

Did he really? Well, good for him for doing that. I have to say it's something I never expected from him, but that's very cool that he apologized and pulled the book.

Yes, I was positively surprised, too. Here's the post from his blog, for whoever is interested and hasn't seen it when I posted it in another thread:

http://mickwall.com/2016/04/getting-out-of-the-ring/

17 hours ago, killuridols said:

Another one from the Mickey collection I was looking for before.... I love it because he looks like a recent one of him, from the East Rutherford show :heart:

8 hours ago, Lumikki said:

You're right, in that new Mickey pic you posted he looks just like in the "Slash will be so jealous" pic. And people still go on about all the drastic plastic surgery he supposedly had :facepalm:

I made this little comparison. You can clearly see that his face is still the same, only older. B-)

axlnowandthen.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Andy14 said:

gnr25.jpg

That car, is it a cadillac? Lmao

I'm just wondering if that is Robert John's white cadillac. He used to be the band's photographer and their getaway driver whenever they got in trouble, which was most of the time. 

8 hours ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@Lumikki Little Axl pics would be much appreciated :thumbsup:

Guns had to postpone their show in Manchester at Maine Road because of the state of Axl in Paris, he was so out of it. He didn't fly to England with the rest of the band. The bands managers apparently tried to cheer him up be arranging trips out, the boat trip and to The Louvre, which also ended badly because he was mobbed by fans and had to leave, so just adding to the drama :facepalm:

A lot of the UYI tour seems like it was a nightmare, both for Axl and the rest of the band. I'm sure they were just looking forward to going out to play to huge crowds. Then Axl happened :lol:

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

@killuridolsFaith No More, who were opening for them during those European shows and had been talking a lot to the media (most of it was shit talk about GnR and Axl), had said that they had heard from the crew that Stephanie had cheated on Axl with Warren Beatty and this is the reason he cancelled the show after Paris. I've read about this (and Axl's very bad state) somewhere else too, but I can't remember exactly.

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@Blackstar I remember all that Paris 92 stuff quite well. They had to postpone Manchester, which of course caused a massive backlash in the UK media (not that they were very favourable in the first place). It was bad, as people had already started traveling for the show and were hearing of its cancellation over the radio. The reason given was Axl was suffering from exhaustion, but I remember it being widely reported that he couldn't even speak sentences at the time :( 

They did play Manc about a week later, only a 15 song set though as I recall. And terrible reviews.

Huh, I had no idea about any of this until I read that article yesterday. Thanks for explaining some more about it. I knew about Axl being in a bit of a mood on stage because of the Warren Beatty thing, but I didn't know it was this bad. Like postponing concerts and doctors sedating him bad. 

What did they mean by "couldn't even speak in sentences"? Because of voice/throat issues or because he was so emotionally messed up that he couldn't talk anymore? (Or on too many sedatives...?)

But anyway, it's pretty terrifying that he can get like that just because Steph Seymour is screwing around on him. No wonder they were desperately trying to cheer him up. I mean obviously your partner cheating on you isn't pleasant for anyone, but most people don't need medical attention because of it, or stop talking or stop being able to do their job.

3 hours ago, killuridols said:

First of all, I wanna thank @Lumikki for taking the time to translate/comment on such amount of magazine articles. I had a blast from the past with that! :wow:

Is Bravo a German magazine? I remember I used to get the Spanish version of all these mags and I would read Bravo too (in Spanish though). Most of the things said by those magazines I think are true or I remember them exactly like that from reading back in the 90s. Like that Stephanie quote of Axl being worse than her 2 years old son! I had forgotten about that but I think she really said it.

What I didn't know is that Axl was feeling so bad during the UYI tour. Yeah, the Paris show is a mess, he's really pissed off the whole time, I didn't know this was because of Stephanie. Now, the Erin part I didn't know either (flying her to a show) but it sorta makes sense because Erin said Axl was trying to go back with her all the time, when he was having problems with Stephanie.

---

Yes, Bravo's a German magazine. These days it is mostly a trashy teeny mag, but I get the impression that it was a bit more adult (and maybe also a bit more trustworthy) back then. 

I can buy Stephanie saying that too, but I'd like to know what exactly she meant by that. I mean a lot of people have describd Axl as childlike, but I'm curious how that plays out in romantic relationships.

From reading these articles and from what @MillionsOfSpiders and @Blackstar said I get the impression he was absolutely miserable most of the time, and the time around the show in Paris was an especially low point for him. And yeah, I can kinda see the Erin thing happening too. Weird that she would have accepted though, since she always talked about getting away from him as fast as possible (like moving immediately again after he'd found out her new adress and stuff like that).

3 hours ago, stella said:

It's shite. There are a lot of inaccuracies (the title says he's "William Axl Rose"...uh, no, he's not) and it's really subjective; Wall has an axe to grind with Axl and he does. There's a ridiculous passage where he basically implies Axl's brother is a moron because he doesn't know what an egg cup is (in America who the hell uses those?!) and makes fun of his accent. Etc.

And not related to the above, but @Lumikki is an MVP for posting and translating all those articles! Danke! :)

Aww, you're welcome! I had fun reading all that old stuff.

Mick Wall is the worst. Some time ago I saw him pop up in a youtube video and he said something along the lines of  "And Slash is jewish and his dad is black and..."  I was like "WTF? Slash is neither jewish nor is his dad black. And this guy writes books about GnR? And he can't even get basic facts straight?" Christ :facepalm:

And okay, I gotta ask now, what do Americans use then to put hot hard boiled eggs in when they eat eggs for breakfast for example? Do you guys only eat scrambled and fried eggs or something? :lol:

8 hours ago, giuls said:

@Lumikki The gist is that during the UYI Axl's mental health was fucked and that's totally believable, i don't know if i believe the Erin thing, we would know i think, it's a big thing.

Yeah, Axl's mental health is like the main theme in all these articles. I didn't translate all that stuff because it's nothing we don't already know anyway, but Axl's mental health/psychological problems literally get mentioned or discussed in depth in every. single. article.

6 hours ago, SerenityScorp said:

@Lumikki You read My mind

About what? :P

6 hours ago, starlight said:

Jennifer even worked for an italian television show lol I think in the early 2000's. I never knew that just saw a rerun of the program on tv and noticed her.

@Lumikki the last photo of Slash I think it's London with him

Wait so you are Italian too? Lots of Italians here :P

And yeah, you're probably right. I figured it might be, but wasn't sure.

1 hour ago, Andy14 said:

I made this little comparison. You can clearly see that his face is still the same, only older. B-)

axlnowandthen.jpg

Well spotted! Same face and even the same facial expression! Should be added to the "proof that Axl still looks the same"-pile.

----------------------------------------------

All these tiny Axl pics and gifs  :wub:  I'll see if I can find some more pics of Axl looking tiny/cute, but I don't think I can beat those already here (I mean wtf @Andy14 , what a tiny little imp he is  :heart:). He looks ridiculously pocket-sized in some of these :heart:

And @SerenityScorp, you might like this bigger/color verison then:

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j414/anoncurappu/Axl%203/03952796_6472062_3345387_n.jpg~original

Edited by Lumikki

1 hour ago, Jane M. said:

That car, is it a cadillac? Lmao

I'm just wondering if that is Robert John's white cadillac. He used to be the band's photographer and their getaway driver whenever they got in trouble, which was most of the time. 

1956 Ford Thunderbird.  

56ford75182-1.jpg

Edited by triad
Car with porthole.

31 minutes ago, killuridols said:

:wow: that's great Andy!!!

I knew his face from the AC/DC video reminded me of his old self but I've seen so many pictures that sometimes it's hard to tell. You're a genius!

Here's my little photoshop for you, this time of Axl looking like Janis :heart:

axl_is_janis_01.png

AxlJoplin.jpg

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

I can buy Stephanie saying that too, but I'd like to know what exactly she meant by that. I mean a lot of people have describd Axl as childlike, but I'm curious how that plays out in romantic relationships.

And okay, I gotta ask now, what do Americans use then to put hot hard boiled eggs in when they eat eggs for breakfast for example? Do you guys only eat scrambled and fried eggs or something? :lol:

I took Seymour's quote to mean that Axl acted like he was in the "terrible twos".  From Mayo Clinic, "most 2-year-olds still aren't able to ...clearly communicate their needs or control their feelings. This can lead to frustration, misbehavior and tantrums."  

And yes, I always eat my eggs scrambled.  :P

48 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

Aww, you're welcome! I had fun reading all that old stuff.

Mick Wall is the worst. Some time ago I saw him pop up in a youtube video and he said something along the lines of  "And Slash is jewish and his dad is black and..."  I was like "WTF? Slash is neither jewish nor is his dad black. And this guy writes books about GnR? And he can't even get basic facts straight?" Christ :facepalm:

I remember that thing about Slash's dad being Jewish making the rounds for quite some time...trust Mick Wall to keep it going. >:(

Hard boiled eggs really aren't a big thing here to eat - pretty much the only time I saw them as a kid was when we dyed Easter eggs, and nobody ate those. I do remember one classmate who had them for lunch, but she brought them wrapped in foil in her lunchbox. Otherwise yeah, scrambled or sunny side up eggs are usually the breakfast go-to dishes. Or dishes made with egg, like omlettes or French toast. Although, even with those...a lot of people don't really sit down and have a full out breakfast unless it's the weekend. When I was growing up, it was pretty much a bowl of cereal or a granola bar and off I went. Pancakes were a weekend thing because nobody had time to make them otherwise. I remember going to England and Scandinava and kind of being stunned by those huge breakfasts...:D

Edited by stella

13 minutes ago, tiutso said:

I'm really sorry, but a question has been bugging me for a while that I never did get an answer to. Here's how it goes: what in the fresh hell is this ? ?

Z694EQzWLak.jpg

what do you mean?

I think that picture is from the warm up shows they did in 1991, before the proper UYI tour. I remember seeing it in the Rip Magazine, with all reviews on the shows written by Del James.

Pantages Theater, Warfield Theater and The Ritz in NYC were the venues.

Here's the article: http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/articles/showarticle.php?articleid=6

Edited by killuridols

As @Lumikki mentioned the Bravo magazine, it's been very popular in my country as well. I used to buy it back in the 90s when I was a child and it was also the first time I came across Axl. It must have been somewhere in the mid 90s when there was an interview with him that came with a poster. He was wearing his blue bandana, sunglasses and leather clothes, I still remember it. The funny thing was that at that time I couldn't care less, I was listening to mainly boybands and eurodance :facepalm: (or still children songs lol), but I still read the interview and Axl gave me an impression of a rough rock guy with an unacceptable behaviour. :rofl-lol: His name got stuck in my head for some reason and whenever I heard "Axl Rose" I associated it with "a bad, bad guy, and a badass rocker".

It was also the same time I was listening to Michael Jackson and loved Black or White music video (of course I saw it several years after it'd been released), which was how I discovered Slash. However, I didn't know that Axl and Slash were from the same band (I was a child then). It took me some years to find out, I fell in love with rock music when I was 15-16, mainly listening to Nirvana, Metallica and Queen. I'd already known songs like Don't Cry, Heaven's Door, Jungle but all of that (the songs, Guns N' Roses, Slash, Axl) clicked into place when I was around 16 discovering this music style. 

A funny thing. Around 5 years ago a friend of mine broke up with her boyfriend who used to play Don't Cry on guitar for her. So we went to a pub and she was feeling blue and let a jukebox play this song. But. She pressed the play button like 10 times (by mistake) and when we heard the song was played the second time, it was ok...third time...wait, what?...fourth, fifth time...the people started realizing something's wrong...seventh...eight...someone switched the jukebox off and no music was played for the rest of the night :rofl-lol:. Since then I wasn't able to listen to the song, whenever I heard the opening riff, I just skipped it or turned it off. I came back to this song this year and realize I really love it. :wub:

Well, that's my GNR story lol. 

And yeah, this thread is killing me, you guys are all crazy :headbang::rofl-lol::hug:

12 minutes ago, tiutso said:

I'm really sorry, but a question has been bugging me for a while that I never did get an answer to. Here's how it goes: what in the fresh hell is this ? ?

Aight, so it's the lighting then. Nevermind.

• Like 1

@killuridols Wow, great comparison :wow:. I really don't understand why he's never sung any of her songs, would be perfect.

9 minutes ago, Epson said:

@Andy14 Could you please type 2-3 simple sentences in Czech? Need to check something :D

You scare me :nervous:. Well...not simple sentences but I believe you're brave and will cope with it:

To je nejhorší, když po mně někdo chce, abych něco řekla nebo napsala česky a já nemám nejmenší tušení, co. Ale můžu ti napsat moc hezkej jazykolam: strč prst skrz krk. :smiley-confused2:

7 minutes ago, Andy14 said:

@killuridols Wow, great comparison :wow:. I really don't understand why he's never sung any of her songs, would be perfect.

:P

I have more but that's part of my project, haha

Don't know.... because he's into nuMetal and industrial crap :max: instead of singing the old 70's rock that suits him so well...

Good that he's back with AC/DC now so we can listen to his full rasp a bit more.

Edited by killuridols