GNR Women's discussion

Carlycosmos

There was an interview by Josh Freese or Brain that Axl wanted them to sound like the drumming which Dave Grohl did in Smells like Teen Spirit on Chinese Democracy song. 

They had to record it like 50 times, but still they din't get that beat which Axl wanted. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

There was an interview by Josh Freese or Brain that Axl wanted them to sound like the drumming which Dave Grohl did in Smells like Teen Spirit on Chinese Democracy song. 

They had to record it like 50 times, but still they din't get that beat which Axl wanted. 

Put this story on best Axl story

5 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I didn't know that, but now you say it, it used to drive me mad thinking about where I had heard those drums before :wow:

Also, Chinese Democracy is a song I can actually listen to and really like lol

Edited by MillionsOfSpiders

Just now, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I didn't know that, but now you say it, it used to drive me mad thinking about where I had heard those drums before :wow:

Its weird why Axl din't call Dave.

I really forgot if it was Josh Freese or Brain, I remember in the interview he was frustrated cause Axl made him keep on recording and it was just not happening. 

But I don't hear the drumming of Smells Like Teen Spirit on CD? does it sound similar? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slash787 said:

I really forgot if it was Josh Freese or Brain, I remember in the interview he was frustrated cause Axl made him keep on recording and it was just not happening. 

But I don't hear the drumming of Smells Like Teen Spirit on CD? does it sound similar? 

A little bit, yeah. Not altogether like Nirvana but I think CD is quite a grungy song anyway. But it did sound a bit familiar to me.

9 minutes ago, Slash787 said:

I think Axl can be Friends with Dave because of Duff or Slash 

10 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I wish Axl had been able to keep Josh Freese on drums.

He is an excellent drummer. But I feel bad for him, he worked his ass off for 2 years in GNR and 90% of his parts were re re re recorded.

"When I started with them I said, 'I'm going to work three days a week,' and they said, 'four.' Well, they said, 'five,' I said, 'three,' they said, 'four,' we compromised." (Josh Freese, Launch, 05/20/00)

"The first year ('98) I was there five nights a week, I'd drive from Long Beach up to the Valley. 9-10 at night and worked until 4, 5, 6 in the morning... I was playing records and doing sessions during the day, and then going there at night to do his thing." (Josh Freese, PodAMatic, 04/13) 

"Every few months, say sources, somebody, if not everybody, would get fired - at least management could step in and resolve the issue.

'[Axl]'d be 'on' for a couple of weeks and then 'off' for a couple weeks', recalls Dave Dominguez, an engineer who started the sessions with Rose in the late nineties.  'He called in pretty much every day, though. He'd ask who was there, what they were doing. 

He'd say to tell them that, 
'I'm coming in, I'll be there in a while.
I'd tell the band, 'Axl called and said he's coming in.

[Oftentimes,] he'd never show up... [but when he did, Axl] would show up at 2AM, [or] 2.30AM, and no one would be around, he'd get upset.

'Where are they?
'I don't know, they all left.

Then he'd call the next day. 
'Who's there?
'Just Josh.
'OK, have everybody leave. Have them break everything down. We're done.

...It took two days to break the room down because he fired everybody.'"

• Like 1

@Slash787 It's always annoyed me that Axl managed to get a class drummer like him and then didn't utilise him. The only thing I can think is that Axl must've been in a dark place. At least Josh got himself a new band, Perfect Circle, out of it all :lol: 

I got to see him play with The Vandals. I wish Axl would have treated him better, he's an amazing drummer. 

4 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@Slash787 It's always annoyed me that Axl managed to get a class drummer like him and then didn't utilise him. The only thing I can think is that Axl must've been in a dark place. At least Josh got himself a new band, Perfect Circle, out of it all :lol: 

I got to see him play with The Vandals. I wish Axl would have treated him better, he's an amazing drummer. 

True, this is a pic of Josh and Tommy in the studio in 1998

2i92k2e.jpg

• Like 2

@MillionsOfSpiders 

"The first task set to [Zutaut] by [Axl] was to help with the drum sound for [the Chinese Democrary track, written by Freese]. Axl had told the studio guys that he wanted the same drum sound as Dave Grohl on Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit. The production crew would claim they had it, but Axl wouldn't be satisfied.

After hearing the [CD recording] for himself, Zutaut agreed with Axl. He took a break and went to the local Tower Records, where he bought a copy of Nevermind. Back in the studio, [Zutaut, Baker and the studio engineer Caram Costanzo] compared [Smells Like Teens Spirit and CD] and set to work making the GNR drummer sound exactly like Grohl." (Classic Rock, 04/08) 

"Everything would be dropped off to [Axl on CD]... There'd be a runner ready to go right when we were done at midnight, to bring it to his house in Malibu.'" (Brain, I'd Hit That, 02/15)

"[The discs could have ] 16 or more takes of a musician performing his part of a single song." (New York Times, 03/06/05)

"[Axl] would call Zutaut or RTB and go through what he liked and what he didn't like." (Classic Rock, 04/08) 

"We'd wait about 35-40 minutes until it got there and get the call. 'Yeah, this is cool', or, 'No, we gotta change something or whatever.'" (Brain, I'd Hit That, 02/15)

"Axl: 'I've been only asking that for, like, six fucking months!"  

• Like 2

Well, never thought we'll discuss Dave Grohl and Nirvana here ;) So let me tell you, that Dave is one of my favourite rockers. He reminds me Duff in the way, that they both grew up raised by moms, not very wealthy families, but loving, supporting and music was all over in their homes. Plus they're both punkrockers, played with many local punk bands in squats and underground clubs often just for few friends. They both play many instruments and made records all by them-selves. And they seem to have pretty normal family life. And important thing: Dave was Lemmy's friend which definitely mean that he's a good man :-) Btw, I was at Gothenburg concert last year and saw him falling of the stage and then playing with broken leg. My godness, what a crazy dude!

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, KMS said:

Well, never thought we'll discuss Dave Grohl and Nirvana here ;) So let me tell you, that Dave is one of my favourite rockers. He reminds me Duff in the way, that they both grew up raised by moms, not very wealthy families, but loving, supporting and music was all over in their homes. Plus they're both punkrockers, played with many local punk bands in squats and underground clubs often just for few friends. They both play many instruments and made records all by them-selves. And they seem to have pretty normal family life. And important thing: Dave was Lemmy's friend which definitely mean that he's a good man :-) Btw, I was at Gothenburg concert last year and saw him falling of the stage and then playing with broken leg. My godness, what a crazy dude!

Very true, Im not a big Nirvana fan nor Im a Foo Fighters fan, but I do know a few things about them.

Dave seems like a really cool person, as a person he and Krist has evolved a lot, I guess they just grew up.

Musically also Dave has created his own identity which is really hard to do in this music business. 

As you said he seems like a very simple guy, coming from a simple background and even today they have a very normal family life. 

1 minute ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

@Slash787 

God, what a massive waste of time, money and other people's lives! 

Just shut up and sing :lol:

True, really a big waste of time and money.

He used to call the studio everyday and used to say he is coming, but never used to show up or used to show up at 2am

I guess after a while when the band members in the studio were informed Axl is coming, they would have gone like "Fucking bullshit hahahaha" 

• Like 1