Human Being

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

To add to that, all of Izzys rhythm parts were replaced by Gilbys. Izzys original rhythm tracks can be heard on the demos

Oh, never heard thoes demos... know where to get them? Searched in youtube but no matches

13 hours ago, Crazyman said:

Just a reminder to people - most of TSI? was recorded in 1990/91 during the UYI sessions:

SIDHY - 1993 (it's played in full before the Boston show, so I have no idea what Gilby is talking about when he said they recorded it there)
New Rose - 1990/91 (mentioned in an interview, I believe we have the instrumental from 1990ish too)
Down on the Farm - 1990/91 (same interview)
Human Being - 1993? (No source but Axl's vocals are very 1993-ish. Probably early in the year.)
Raw Power - 1993? (Same as above, Axl's vocals are very 1993-ish)
Ain't It Fun? - 1990/91 (Recorded during the UYI sessions)
Buick Makane - 1993? (Gilby mentions that he wants the band to record a T Rex song)
Hair of the Dog - 1990/91? (no source, but the fact they played it with GAK in 1990 and once in 1988)
Attitude - 1990/91 (mentioned in an interview, played live starting in 1991)
Black Leather - 1990/91 (mentioned in the same interview as above, don't we have the instrumental tracks from 1990/91?)
YCPYAAAM - 1992? @Blackstar mentioned Duff recorded it during the UYI tour. Anyone with any insight please let me know!
IDCAY - 1990/91 (mentioned in the same interview as the other 1990/91 songs)
Look at Your Game, Girl - 1993 ...no source needed.

From Duff's book, about You Can’t Put Your Arms  Around a Memory:

Throughout the Use Your Illusion tour I had recorded songs on my own, ducking  into studios here and there. This project had served largely as a way to kill time I  would otherwise have spent drinking, and I didn’t know what the demos were for,  really. One of them—my version of Johnny Thunders’ “You Can’t Put Your Arms  Around a Memory”—ended up on GN’R’s Spaghetti Incident, the album of cover songs issued just after the end of the Use Your Illusion tour. 

and (in the context of the European leg of the tour in 1992):

As a means to keep myself  busy and push back the hardcore drinking for a few hours, I rented studios sporadically during the tour and recorded my own songs.

Slash, 1995:

It wasn't a pre-planned kinda thing. It was to leviate the pressure that we were dealing with in making the last record. Which was the Illusions records. To warm up, we would jam old tunes we're familiar with.  And we recorded four and thought they sounded pretty good, so we thought "At some point we'll put an EP out". And that was the end of it. And then we recorded some more, you know, during the tour. After the tour's over, we recorded even more than that. And we thought: "This is twelve songs of material. We might just make it a record. And we put it out, and that was that.

Slash, 1990 (this is the interview you're referring to?)

An EP is probably the direction we're going to go as far as some of the covers are concerned. There are six covers: "Live and Let Die," by Wings, "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," by Dylan — that new version [on the soundtrack for Days of Thunder] that went nowhere — "Don't Care About You," by Fear, "Attitude," by the Misfits, "New Rose," by the Damned, and "Down on the Farm," by U.K. Subs. They're songs that we like – it's as basic as that. Each of us has an individual favorite, and at the same time we share some. "New Rose" is something Duff wanted to do, I think. "Don't Care About You" is something I wanted. The Misfits song was Axl's idea, and "Heaven's Door" and "Live and Let Die" were songs Axl and I both thought about doing.

--> Those were the first 4 they recorded in 1990.

Axl, MTV interview, 1991 (during the tour and before the release of UYI):  He said they had recorded Ain't It Fun and Black Leather.

--> So they recorded 6 punk covers during the UYI sessions, as they initially intended to make an EP with exclusively punk covers.

Gilby, 1994:

While we were on the road, we'd go and record a couple more songs here and there. We actually did a couple of Hanoi Rocks songs that never made it, and a bunch of Iggy Pop songs that never made it, though one did make it. We recorded a bunch of stuff over a year, every now and then. It was cool.

--> Raw Power was recorded during the tour between 1992-93.

Axl-Slash interview, 1994:

Axl - Yeah, we played it [Hair Of The Dog] only a few times a very long time ago. When we were in the studio, finishing up the recording of the song, Slash is going: "This is cool!". 'Cause he's the one that brought it to our attention to do it for this album and Duff reminded him'¦ He goes: "Remember the old days? This was cool." Duff reminds him: "You hated this song".

Slash - [laughs]

Axl - Slash goes: "Oh, yeah". Which was very strange when he brought it to us: "We gotta do this song." I was like: "You hated it". I was confused for months.

--> Hair Of The Dog was recorded some time during the tour between 1992-1993 or after the tour.

Axl - I don't know why I really liked that song [Since I don't have you], I just did and then'¦ We were on the road, we had three days off in Boston, and the song just fit things at the time and we had some time so we went in and did it without having any clue of what it was gonna sound like musically.

--> They probably recorded SIDHY in Boston and then played it at the show.

Slash - In the middle of the night over the phone. The song was already recorded and Axl was singing the Soundgarden thing. And I was like'¦

Axl - 'Cause the riff was very similar, if not the same. And I just thought it added something to it and'¦ Plus, we really like the Soundgarden guys, and that particular song is, I think, a song that'¦ I just consider a cult classic, whether it is or not. And it fit together with the T-Rex thing. And when we put the album together, Slash was a big fan of that particular T-Rex song, and I remembered that and I asked if he wanted to that on here as one more song. 'Cause I thought that would balance things out. And get something else out of the closet that was waiting to be recorded.

--> Buik Makane was one of the last they recorded, apparently after the tour.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

From Duff's book, about You Can’t Put Your Arms  Around a Memory:

Throughout the Use Your Illusion tour I had recorded songs on my own, ducking  into studios here and there. This project had served largely as a way to kill time I  would otherwise have spent drinking, and I didn’t know what the demos were for,  really. One of them—my version of Johnny Thunders’ “You Can’t Put Your Arms  Around a Memory”—ended up on GN’R’s Spaghetti Incident, the album of cover songs issued just after the end of the Use Your Illusion tour. 

and (in the context of the European leg of the tour in 1992):

As a means to keep myself  busy and push back the hardcore drinking for a few hours, I rented studios sporadically during the tour and recorded my own songs.

Slash, 1995:

It wasn't a pre-planned kinda thing. It was to leviate the pressure that we were dealing with in making the last record. Which was the Illusions records. To warm up, we would jam old tunes we're familiar with.  And we recorded four and thought they sounded pretty good, so we thought "At some point we'll put an EP out". And that was the end of it. And then we recorded some more, you know, during the tour. After the tour's over, we recorded even more than that. And we thought: "This is twelve songs of material. We might just make it a record. And we put it out, and that was that.

Slash, 1990 (this is the interview you're referring to?)

An EP is probably the direction we're going to go as far as some of the covers are concerned. There are six covers: "Live and Let Die," by Wings, "Knockin' on Heaven's Door," by Dylan — that new version [on the soundtrack for Days of Thunder] that went nowhere — "Don't Care About You," by Fear, "Attitude," by the Misfits, "New Rose," by the Damned, and "Down on the Farm," by U.K. Subs. They're songs that we like – it's as basic as that. Each of us has an individual favorite, and at the same time we share some. "New Rose" is something Duff wanted to do, I think. "Don't Care About You" is something I wanted. The Misfits song was Axl's idea, and "Heaven's Door" and "Live and Let Die" were songs Axl and I both thought about doing.

--> Those were the first 4 they recorded in 1990.

Axl, MTV interview, 1991 (during the tour and before the release of UYI):  He said they had recorded Ain't It Fun and Black Leather.

--> So they recorded 6 punk covers during the UYI sessions, as they initially intended to make an EP with exclusively punk covers.

Gilby, 1994:

While we were on the road, we'd go and record a couple more songs here and there. We actually did a couple of Hanoi Rocks songs that never made it, and a bunch of Iggy Pop songs that never made it, though one did make it. We recorded a bunch of stuff over a year, every now and then. It was cool.

--> Raw Power was recorded during the tour between 1992-93.

Axl-Slash interview, 1994:

Axl - Yeah, we played it [Hair Of The Dog] only a few times a very long time ago. When we were in the studio, finishing up the recording of the song, Slash is going: "This is cool!". 'Cause he's the one that brought it to our attention to do it for this album and Duff reminded him'¦ He goes: "Remember the old days? This was cool." Duff reminds him: "You hated this song".

Slash - [laughs]

Axl - Slash goes: "Oh, yeah". Which was very strange when he brought it to us: "We gotta do this song." I was like: "You hated it". I was confused for months.

--> Hair Of The Dog was recorded probably some time during the tour between 1992-1993.

Axl - I don't know why I really liked that song [Since I don't have you], I just did and then'¦ We were on the road, we had three days off in Boston, and the song just fit things at the time and we had some time so we went in and did it without having any clue of what it was gonna sound like musically.

Slash - In the middle of the night over the phone. The song was already recorded and Axl was singing the Soundgarden thing. And I was like'¦

Axl - 'Cause the riff was very similar, if not the same. And I just thought it added something to it and'¦ Plus, we really like the Soundgarden guys, and that particular song is, I think, a song that'¦ I just consider a cult classic, whether it is or not. And it fit together with the T-Rex thing. And when we put the album together, Slash was a big fan of that particular T-Rex song, and I remembered that and I asked if he wanted to that on here as one more song. 'Cause I thought that would balance things out. And get something else out of the closet that was waiting to be recorded.

--> Buik Makane was one of the last they recorded, apparently after the tour.

The two articles I cited (without citing :lol: ) are this RIP article from June 1991 and this Rolling Stone article from Sept 1991

I actually re-read Duff's autobiography a few months ago...definitely forgot that part!

The only things I disagree with are Hair of the Dog and SIDHY. I think Hair of the Dog was recorded earlier than that based on Axl's vocals and the fact that they played it live in 1990 (and Axl wanted Dan McCafferty to sing the song at his wedding or something, iirc, in April '90 - clearly that song was on his mind). SIDHY had to have been recorded beforehand because Guns played the night before in Maine. I highly doubt they could complete a recording, mix and master it within a day in Boston. Not impossible, but most likely Gilby had the city wrong and it was completed earlier on the tour. For the record you can listen to it here

Edited by Crazyman
Spelled Mr. McCafferty's name wrong
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Slash confirms this in his book: There's a good story going behind that song because I think that was one of the first songs that really started to turn this "Spaghetti Incident" thing into an actual album. And we did it on off time on the road and recorded it in Makeshift studios in Boston.

21 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

I think Hair of the Dog was recorded earlier than that based on Axl's vocals and the fact that they played it live in 1990 (and Axl wanted Dan McCafferty to sing the song at his wedding or something, iirc, in April '90 - clearly that song was on his mind).

Yes, they played it in 1990 and I can't tell about Axl's vocals (I don't have such a good ear :) ). I think it was recorded later because 1) it wasn't mentioned in any 1990-1991 interview 2) the initial intention was for an exclusively punk album (Gilby says it in the interview I cited) 3) They were playing it in the early days because Axl liked it, but Slash didn't like it at the time, then he changed his mind and the cover was his idea.