Slash's best take on This I Love

22 hours ago, Mendez said:

I wish slash would make a proper solo. its always like "oh wow that was a cool idea, i hope he builds around that" and then he doesnt. He has a bunch of different licks everytime he plays the solo, but quickly abandons them. So id say i half like what he does on this, but wish there was more to it

And every time he does something different people gush about how its the greatest thing they've ever heard

Good thread. Slash nailed his interpretations of Bucket's and Robin's Better solos.

He also fuckin' nailed Chinese Democracy's first solo and the outro.

Catcher and Sorry sounds like he's close.

This I love it's probably the most challenging except There Was A Time, but that he plays closer to the original.

First half of the This I Love solo he struggles more. Second one he's nailing different parts of it, just need more chances to perform it live and he will get there. He's already playing amazing on it, I can hear he's putting it all together and just getting familiar with it will free him live to nail it like he did with other Chinese tunes.

In the version that was posted from Atlanta, Slash playing was inspired. The part I'm talking about starts at the 3:16 mark and until 3:43 and sounds great! notice how he also kinda knows when to move from a position on the neck and as he gets more comfortable with the progression, it's gonna sound like that for the whole solo, with direction. That's how he always does it live. One of Slash's biggest talents.

He's gonna nail all the solos like I've said before.

(3:16)

Edited by Rovim

17 hours ago, Mendez said:

What aspect of the lyrics does everyone hate? I see it either:

A.) too heartbreak  lovey dovey

B.) every line's rhyme is the same sound ("know why, say goodbye, that I, her eyes, be wise, have to try, have inside, can't deny" etc)

C.) Too simple/straightforward/not as "complex"  as UYI ballad lyrics (no metaphors, hyperboles, etc)

Or a combination of everything.

Or maybe something else

B pretty much, but the standard of lyrics in general dropped quite heavily when compared to the high points of UYI in my opinion. So C does play a role in my feelings towards this.

18 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

None.

It was perfect on the record. The highlight when we finally got to here the full album.

Better solo shouldn't have been changed either.

To me they are the equivalent of hearing Robin's take on the Nov Rain solo. Although at times it was kind of refreshing and not noodling and try to play as many notes when less is more

This. I clearly not understand why Slash keep 'shredding' when playing Robin's part. He's noodling on Chinese, Better, Catcher, This I Love, Sorry well on all of them. 

Also the new version of better is a travesty. It's awful.