Wacky World of The Ominous Ninja Izzy Stradlin and NO! Gang

SerenityScorp

Whew, this thread is a bit too dramatic for me right now (tbh, this all feels like a huge over-reaction to me, but everyone is entitled to their feelings, so whatever).

So I'm just gonna say that if it's any comfort to anyone, I don't think an AFD5 reunion is impossible at all. It just will be in a completely unexpected way most likely and not for an anniversary or similar event. They've never done things in a very logical manner after all. And to me personally, it doesn't really matter. I don't really see the big deal about anniversaries anyway, and what's one more AFD anniversary that goes uncelebrated? Nothing great happened on all the anniversaries before this one either. I will be just as happy if we get AFD5 for a random show in Cleveland or something lol.

15 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

I expected this behavior from Axl. You could tell he lost the passion for music years ago. But Duff is a hard pill to swallow. I remember when he used to go have coffee with fans of his column when he was in town, just to talk to them and get to know them. He would always be so appreciative and say thank you constantly for the support. He still talked about music back then like he was a fanboy himself and it really seemed genuine. Now look at him... Where the fuck did that old version of Duff go? Or was it all just an act?

Slash was never super friendly towards fans but you could tell he was all about the music. It was like he couldn't write songs fast enough to keep up with his hunger for it. Now there's no new music in sight. He always said in every interview he would only reunite with GNR if it was for the right reasons... I guess we were wrong to interpret that as making music plus a full reunion. Maybe he only meant "for the right amount of money".

I disagree about Axl having lost his passion for music. I just think he'd rather be making and playing very different music nowadays. I think his China Exchange comments about movie scores were very telling. And if you listen to CD without Axl's singing, a lot of the songs on that album could easily be the background sountrack for big, melodramatic movies.

Duff was forced to put in the effort in the past, because compared to Axl and Slash, he was in a much worse position when it comes to publicity and relevance.

And as for Slash, Slash is the guy who back in the early 90s according to Alan Niven said "I'll do whatever it takes to keep this thing going and to keep the money rolling in. I don't wanna end up as a starving artist like my father." I paraphrased, but that was the gist of it and it tells all you need to know about where Slash is coming from. Also, Slash has said many times that he doesn't actually like doing interviews and PR work and only does it because he has to to sell his music, so he's probably pretty thrilled to rake in millions without having to do any of that nowadays.

• Like 4

@Frey you're way too reasonable for me right now. But thanks anyway :awesomeface:

About the "having lost his hunger for music" @Kris_1989 and Frey, I don't know. Axl for sure doesn't seem "hungry" for being a musician, for making music, for exploring things musically to me. He does seem to love performing on stage though. The bigger the audience the better. That's my impression. Beyond that, what and how can we know from aging musicians, whether rockstars or not? Old rockstars who simply cannot uphold their younger attitute and thrive. Because the time passed by, the "Zeitgeist" changed, things are different, they are different, sound different and look different. All that. I read about Sting (Yeah sorry, anyway, it's an example, ok) who experimented with arabian, whatever artists, their instruments and sounds and seemingly doesn't give a shit about how it is percieved in the mainstream or not. I call that being a musician. Just doing your thing and exploring more. I don't know if any of the GnR guys is doing that. With the exception of Slash maybe who is still producing new music. But even the news about Izzy collaborating and being really into music (not just off and on things like playing in a song for a day in a studio and then nothing for years).  I don't know if Izzy is a musician first and a drone racer and biker second or the other way round. Same goes for Axl (I don't even know what he is second other than a lonely old man not resembling his younger self anymore but trying to).

So, touring with 30 year old songs doesn't make you hungry for music in my eyes and no, it is not comparable to Stones or Aerosmith or any other old band because those bands bloody well did more then 3 lonely albums and are touring with at least 10 year old songs. lol

Sorry, blabbering away. Bye :lol:

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Frey said:

Whew, this thread is a bit too dramatic for me right now (tbh, this all feels like a huge over-reaction to me, but everyone is entitled to their feelings, so whatever).

So I'm just gonna say that if it's any comfort to anyone, I don't think an AFD5 reunion is impossible at all. It just will be in a completely unexpected way most likely and not for an anniversary or similar event. They've never done things in a very logical manner after all. And to me personally, it doesn't really matter. I don't really see the big deal about anniversaries anyway, and what's one more AFD anniversary that goes uncelebrated? Nothing great happened on all the anniversaries before this one either. I will be just as happy if we get AFD5 for a random show in Cleveland or something lol.

The AFD anniversary was just the straw that broke the camels back, for me. If nothing was going to happen at the anniversary, they shouldn't of plastered #appetite30 posters all over NYC leading up to the event. It's misleading and cruel to their fans to constantly give them hope and deliver nothing. If those posters hadn't happened I wouldn't of cared or had been disappointed.

I disagree about Axl having lost his passion for music. I just think he'd rather be making and playing very different music nowadays. I think his China Exchange comments about movie scores were very telling. And if you listen to CD without Axl's singing, a lot of the songs on that album could easily be the background sountrack for big, melodramatic movies.

Then why not have some artistic integrity and go create those things? Why continue to milk Appetite and UYI to death if your interests are elsewhere? That's my issue, if none of them care about GNR or making that type of music again... then, don't.

Duff was forced to put in the effort in the past, because compared to Axl and Slash, he was in a much worse position when it comes to publicity and relevance.

I agree, but it's still disappointing to realize it was all for PR, though.

And as for Slash, Slash is the guy who back in the early 90s according to Alan Niven said "I'll do whatever it takes to keep this thing going and to keep the money rolling in. I don't wanna end up as a starving artist like my father." I paraphrased, but that was the gist of it and it tells all you need to know about where Slash is coming from. Also, Slash has said many times that he doesn't actually like doing interviews and PR work and only does it because he has to to sell his music, so he's probably pretty thrilled to rake in millions without having to do any of that nowadays.

He also had that quote in his documentary "I don't care what it takes, I just want to be remembered" (also paraphrasing) so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

----

I'm not trying to be extremely negative or change any of your minds about the guys. If you love them still and are happy with NITL then I'm happy for you. (And I really mean that, no BS or sarcasm) but for me I feel like I'm watching three guys collect as much cash as they can before kicking GNR to the curb. There's no passion or integrity there. It's all just ????

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

The AFD anniversary was just the straw that broke the camels back, for me. If nothing was going to happen at the anniversary, they shouldn't of plastered #appetite30 posters all over NYC leading up to the event. It's misleading and cruel to their fans to constantly give them hope and deliver nothing. If those posters hadn't happened I wouldn't of cared or had been disappointed.

Yeah those posters were dumb and pointless.

But what else do you expect from TB (I assume they were responsible for this)? They always manage to screw up in every way possible and this is just another example.

As soon as I heard Steven say that "Fernando had planned something special for the anniversary..." I knew it was going to be shit :lol::facepalm: Because I really can't imagine Fernando or anyone else in TB ever doing anything that is actually cool or at least doing something right.

4 hours ago, Kris_1989 said:

Then why not have some artistic integrity and go create those things? Why continue to milk Appetite and UYI to death if your interests are elsewhere? That's my issue, if none of them care about GNR or making that type of music again... then, don't.

I agree, but it's still disappointing to realize it was all for PR, though.

He also had that quote in his documentary "I don't care what it takes, I just want to be remembered" (also paraphrasing) so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Because around 50 Lebeises need some more luxury cars and apartments, and so will their children and children's children. I'm not even kidding, if you count the number of people Axl is financially responsible for, and then see the stuff they are apparently able to afford on Instagram... well, it turns my stomach to be honest.

Because Perla just took half of Slash's money and he's still responsible for taking care of 2 women and 4 children now who have grown to expect a certain lifestyle. And because Slash likes money as much as anyone else.

Because Duff also has a bunch of ladies who like to lead the good life. And also because I suspect Duff "I made millions investing into Starbucks and Microsoft before it was cool" McKagan simply likes to have a nice big pile of money tucked away, no matter how un-punk rock it may be.

On a less cynical note, I also think they simply enjoy playing with each other again for the time being. I've seen quite a few videos and pictures of these shows and they all (especially Axl) seem genuinely thrilled and very happy to be onstage together. Duff also supposedly said at one point that it was his goal to get Axl and Slash into one room and to make them talk to each other again. You could obviously argue that he only wanted to do that because he saw the profits of the potential reunion resulting from that, but I think it's more likely that he was just bothered by two people he was close with still not talking to each other after so many years (while he himself was on good terms with everyone (except Steven maybe)). So Duff did what he could to make that happen and he's probably thrilled he succeeded and they all might be weary of rocking the boat and the relative peacefulness between them now by getting down to business with issues that have a lot of potential for conflict, such as creating and recording new music.

6 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

...too dramatic...or not dramatic ENOUGH @Frey ?!?!?!

You know what, you're right.

This is a GNR board after all, therefore the drama should be up to 11! ALL DAY, EVERY DAY!!!

That's the only appropriate way to deal with a band that consists of nothing but drama.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2017 at 8:47 AM, Darkenchantress said:

Happy Appetite day, guys! :heart:

30 years ago life was easier and rock was real. Fuck this shit!

What on earth happened now? <_<

By the way. Keep trying, Fortus, keep trying hard... :lol:

DFPN4f-UMAIelyF.jpg

Haha, yea, it really pathetic how Fortus tries so hard to mimic Izzy. Unreal.

And I even respect the guy a lot as a guitarist. The dude can play... and with taste. But man, get off Izzy's case.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2017 at 7:33 PM, Archtop said:

So where are Fernies cool ideas for AFD30 because that surly wasn't it. 

I'm Fernie. Here are my ideas.

1: Play a smaller venue. I know Axl, it's degrading, but hey, it's just this once and it's gonna be an almost free event. Hear me out! Also because:

2: Free T-shirt for everyone.

3: Free Poster for everyone - kids will love this!

4: Free beers. 

5: Invite tons of celebrities and VIPs and whatnot. That's what it's all about, eh! You deserve it.

Pretty cool eh? And the best part? We'll subliminally sell it as an AFD30th anniversary event - we'll hint at it being so, but it will be so much more! Moar, moar, MOAR!

37 minutes ago, Pishy said:

@ChopAway  great shoes. I'm really depressed about Izzy now. I don't care it is melodramatic, I'm upset because he was treated so poorly and he is such a principled person and a magnificent musician and songwriter. The injustice of it. He kept doing what was right and the disingenuous, cold ones, just kept doing what was wrong. And all the noisy lies rose to the top about why he left the band and why he wasn't on this tour, it just pisses me off . I don't know him of course, but it is easy to see that Izzy is a good person, authentic. There are not many people like him in general. But I liked reading this whole thread, good to know others see through it.  If anyone knows if Izzy is going to play anywhere please let us all know.  I like this from Izzy :

Welcome to the thread! And I wish we knew when/if he was performing, but he doesn't usually announce anything and hasn't preformed since 2012 so I don't really expect any shows anytime soon. :(

---

@Jane M. get off your farm and go play a show. :max:

Edited by Kris_1989

3 minutes ago, Kris_1989 said:

Welcome to the thread! And I wish we knew when/if he was performing, but he doesn't usually announce anything and hasn't preformed since 2012 so I don't really expect any shows anytime soon. :(

Yeah, it has been a while.  He recorded those singles recently, but he is always playing so that doesn't mean he will have shows anytime soon.  Adler's band and Izzy's band should go on the road, that's clearly my own vision, lol!  I got kicked off some app a few years back for talking about Izzy and then scolded on Nightrain for the same reason, so I left the forum for a good while.  I cant believe how many brand fanatics are out there and was shocked by their attitude towards a key member of a band they supposedly love. Yeah, good thread and glad to have found it.

• Like 2

@Pishy On Down The Road is such a good album :headbang: I think the title track is probably my favourite on that one but Sweet Caress is great too.

Try not to be disappointed about how Izzys being treated by Guns. He's released 4 singles & 2 videos since Guns reformed, go and listen to those and it will make ya smile :headbang: Then go and listen to any of the other 100+ songs Izzys written and released since quitting Guns, and you'll be greatful that he got out when he did.

If he ever does rejoin I'd probably worry that it would bring his solo career to an end as he might then be under contract that any songs written by him are owned by Guns. Didn't something similiar happen with Axl wanting to use Fall to Pieces, and I think Axl also wanted to use some of the Snakepit material but Slash had already gone solo by that point?

2 minutes ago, downliner said:

@Pishy On Down The Road is such a good album :headbang: I think the title track is probably my favourite on that one but Sweet Caress is great too.

Try not to be disappointed about how Izzys being treated by Guns. He's released 4 singles & 2 videos since Guns reformed, go and listen to those and it will make ya smile :headbang: Then go and listen to any of the other 100+ songs Izzys written and released since quitting Guns, and you'll be greatful that he got out when he did.

If he ever does rejoin I'd probably worry that it would bring his solo career to an end as he might then be under contract that any songs written by him are owned by Guns. Didn't something similiar happen with Axl wanting to use Fall to Pieces, and I think Axl also wanted to use some of the Snakepit material but Slash had already gone solo by that point?

I'm listening to the album now, I like the title track too. I love "Got Some News" as well. Yeah, I was going to add your same sentiments so I will do that now. He is clean and sober and that was key to getting to live and be who he is. And he has been making music in the way he wants to make it, without the commercial crap and being shoved into some box, he has had complete creative control. He is like Prince in that sense, left the industry's grip and made a lot of great music. I did get the 4 singles as they came out, I like Walk'n Song" a lot.  Yes, there was some mess around Slash's Snakepit material. I think , but cant be sure, that Slash wanted to use some of that material for Gnr and it was probably picked apart and he said he was going to go record by himself or something and that blew things up. Not sure if Slash meant it or was mad but there was something about him threatening to go record on his own and Axl got really mad, before Slash left GnR. I bought that album when it first came out.

2 minutes ago, Pishy said:

I'm listening to the album now, I like the title track too. I love "Got Some News" as well. Yeah, I was going to add your same sentiments so I will do that now. He is clean and sober and that was key to getting to live and be who he is. And he has been making music in the way he wants to make it, without the commercial crap and being shoved into some box, he has had complete creative control. He is like Prince in that sense, left the industry's grip and made a lot of great music. I did get the 4 singles as they came out, I like Walk'n Song" a lot.  Yes, there was some mess around Slash's Snakepit material. I think , but cant be sure, that Slash wanted to use some of that material for Gnr and it was probably picked apart and he said he was going to go record by himself or something and that blew things up. Not sure if Slash meant it or was mad but there was something about him threatening to go record on his own and Axl got really mad, before Slash left GnR. I bought that album when it first came out.

Listening to it again here too after you posted the Sweet Caress video :lol: The great thing about being an Izzy fan is that he has so many great albums. I might not listen to Ride On for a year or more because I'm really digging the Ju Ju Hounds album and 117, but then I might not listen to those albums for a year because I'm digging Wave of Heat, River and Like A Dog etc. By the time I get round to listening to Miami, Fire or Smoke again it sounds fresh.

I thought Taz's drumming was great on Walkn Song, he just added a cool sort of tribal beat..... kinda like "rallying the troops" to go to war or something. Taz is the only reason why I feel guilty wanting a Ju Ju Hounds reunion, because I really wouldn't want to see Izzy live if Taz wasn't behind the kit, because he's such an integral part of the bands sound. Izzy/Rick/Taz is the core band, and they just make one great album after another :)

• Like 1

I wonder who Izzy would have as his bass player if he ever did play a solo show? ?

I know he used Duff in Japan but I think we can rule out that option. :lol:

---

Just saw this on Facebook

20229117_10213536065660967_8073174287633

Credit to Scott Williams

Edited by Kris_1989
  • Like 1

Aw guys, @downliner  @Pishy and @kkferro72, thanks for the music talk. We should do that here more often here. :headbang:

I really love Down the Road and Sweet Caress, too. I also like Coke'n a lot and Hammerhead. Hammerhead is  so fucking simple but still so cool and such a rocker. (What does the writing in Coke'n mean, by the way? I don't get the 'n part. Is that Izzyness again as we discusded in the Ranking thread?) And I love JuJu Hounds. Right now that's my favorite album. I also really like Baby Rann. I love how the lyrics are funny first (my dog just salivates, she took my good suitcase) and then gets a little more emotional at the end. I like how Izzy is only hinting at things in his lyrics but still they get their message across. 

And thanks for the pic, @Kris_1989. Izzy looks so over and annoyed. :awesomeface: It seems to be from the same day of the Foto shoot when all 5 were sitting on that bench. Axl is wearing this hideous coat and Izzy this Jeans jacket. 

b8ea7974a1c809bdf2185089e2e4f765--duff-m

Edited by Tori72
  • Like 1