Aspiring writers thread

rocknroll41

4 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

well said!

Serious I was not young favoriteroseaxls. 

Maybe Yoda is full of shit, you have to try and see how it goes, giving up is definitely on the table in my world. Semi colons might have to be used in the future; I guess. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, wasted said:

Serious I was not young favoriteroseaxls. 

Maybe Yoda is full of shit, you have to try and see how it goes, giving up is definitely on the table in my world. Semi colons might have to be used in the future; I guess. 

i never cared for Yoda!

yeah thinking giving up is definitely on the table for sure in my world as well. can someone be psychic about predicing merely bad events? and if so is there a way to make money on it? :lol:

Advice for Aspiring Writers: tips from the edge. Make sure you don't fuck up the IRS form on Kindle Direct Publishing, the IRS are all over me. They think I'm a US citizen. So I had to fill in all these forms at the bank. Now I have to go back because they forgot the Witness form. Still haven't sold 1 single solitary copy. This is book 4. After the lost book. Came the intertextual tax evasion book, released via instagram. Tax Invasion coming to a tablet built by slaves SOON. 

"I'm going the fuck home"

• Like 1

the only way to be original these days, is to express your own feelings and emotions as accurate as possible. there is only one you, and your perspective to the world is unique.

i hope to write a novel someday where i'll be able to do that, i'm just not sure how / in what form

• Like 1

On 13 May 2017 at 11:59 PM, Rovim said:

This is awkward. I treasure the times when I can muster enough courage to read a book once in a while. You know... finish it and everything. Always wanted to make an attempt to write a short retarded story like Del but I think maybe I need to read a lot of books first and actually have something interesting to say for the entire time before I put the shit to the fan.

I don't understand how these assholes even connect all the ideas and form a viable structure, tie it all together like that. I guess it's kinda like Adler's mom.

In these modern times where you can watch an M. Night Shamalyan movie at the comfort of your own S&M dungeon, books do feel a tad gimped in comparison no offense. It's not the 70's anymore, let it go. There are enough harry potter novels.

Besides, VR is making a comeback, just sayin'. Brutalizing my ink is the way I'd aspire it.

Poetry. Pseudo poetry. Reading is for fags. Write. Write shit. Based on the fact you have no right, you suck and everyone tells you not to. It's the only answer. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, action said:

the only way to be original these days, is to express your own feelings and emotions as accurate as possible. there is only one you, and your perspective to the world is unique.

i hope to write a novel someday where i'll be able to do that, i'm just not sure how / in what form

i think i can get several books out of my life!

2 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i think i can get several books out of my life!

No offense to no one but writing a book is dick. Anyone could do it and even I did it a few times. I got locked in an elevator for a few hours once. It's like comedy, everyone is funny but can you put the work in? Look at Grisham or Deaver books, they just did the work! I can enlighten you more in 1 post more than them but you know I didn't do the work in publishing. Or whatever, car jacking anyone? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wasted said:

No offense to no one but writing a book is dick. Anyone could do it and even I did it a few times. I got locked in an elevator for a few hours once. It's like comedy, everyone is funny but can you put the work in? Look at Grisham or Deaver books, they just did the work! I can enlighten you more in 1 post more than them but you know I didn't do the work in publishing. Or whatever, car jacking anyone? 

anyone? yeah actually that's true. ever read the Flowers in the Attic books by VC Andrews? paraphrasing but "Cathy danced over her sick ( or dying ) grandmother's body". i was like wtf?? and she wrote like a 14 year old love sick girl IMO :facepalm: doing pirouettes and the whole nine yards.

7 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

anyone? yeah actually that's true. ever read the Flowers in the Attic books by VC Andrews? paraphrasing but "Cathy danced over her sick ( or dying ) grandmother's body". i was like wtf?? and she wrote like a 14 year old love sick girl IMO :facepalm: doing pirouettes and the whole nine yards.

Like Bridget Jones' Diary? Sometimes it's narrated by the character. Did VC Andrews write those Warrior cat books?

Just now, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

you mean like the Hunger Games? cos no. V.C. Andrews wrote these creepy books about brother/sister incest. really sick stuff *barf*

I've seen the name, I thought it was more supernatural books though. I really only read crime or political stuff. Can't seem to do fiction really. Liked Roberto Bolanos. 2666 was good because it had a mystery/metaphor/past lives thing running through it. Not just a police procedural. So it was immersive. 

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

I've seen the name, I thought it was more supernatural books though. I really only read crime or political stuff. Can't seem to do fiction really. Liked Roberto Bolanos. 2666 was good because it had a mystery/metaphor/past lives thing running through it. Not just a police procedural. So it was immersive. 

i read one because "everyone was doing it" :facepalm:

10 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

i read one because "everyone was doing it" :facepalm:

Flowers in the attic was a bestseller and written in the first person I just read. So one of girls locked in the attic is writing it. Like Catcher in the Rye, people sometimes miss it's Holden narrating. So in a way it's a way round having to write well or even insightfully. Certain things might get teased out along the way. VC Andrews looks line a creepy lady, but I guess that's her thing, creepy gothic family saga. 

There's so much work for romance writers online. That stuff sells. Most people want to write a book like the best thing they ever read from scratch. Like 30 years working at the IRS has prepared them to write the Grey King. 

Just now, wasted said:

Flowers in the attic was a bestseller and written in the first person I just read. So one of girls locked in the attic is writing it. Like Catcher in the Rye, people sometimes miss it's Holden narrating. So in a way it's a way round having to write well or even insightfully. Certain things might get teased out along the way. VC Andrews looks line a creepy lady, but I guess that's her thing, creepy gothic family saga. 

There's so much work for romance writers online. That stuff sells. Most people want to write a book like the best thing they ever read from scratch. Like 30 years working at the IRS has prepared them to write the Grey King. 

V.C. Andrews passed away many years ago but she had all these these outlines so books were still being fleshed out and finished for a long time. maybe they still are for all i know.

ha! 30 years of working at the DMV might be a good experience for writers wanting to write about being sadists! in the first person of course :)

8 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

V.C. Andrews passed away many years ago but she had all these these outlines so books were still being fleshed out and finished for a long time. maybe they still are for all i know.

ha! 30 years of working at the DMV might be a good experience for writers wanting to write about being sadists! in the first person of course :)

For research yeah, but they tend to want to write the great american novel right away. Ex cops write good crime stuff like Wambaugh. Connelly is an ex cop too. Grisham lawyer? But to write great literature in your first after retiring seems unlikely. I'm going to south of france to write my novel. Chances are you won't, you'll just drinking more than usual in the day. 

It said on Wiki they hired a ghost writer to write under VC's name after she was dead. And the profits were included in her estate as her name was a valuable brand. I wonder sometimes if bands could continue like this. Skynard maybe, maybe Allman brothers kind of show it could be done. DC are close. Guns were close, just needed Baz to replace Axl then find a younger singer. Axl should hand pick a singer to head in the 21st century. 

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

LOL the books i write will be tell all true stories dude! and there will be many cos you have NOOOOO idea all the stuff that i have gone through in my life. drinking in the day? are you frequenting the opium dens again? :lol:

I wasn't talking about you specifically, or that someone can't write books. I'm talking about that romantic idea of going to Tangiers to write like Burroughs after you retire.

I've read more rock bios than real literature anyway. I just like wild stories. I can't even understand half of the classics, you need to study them or something. 

• Like 1

oh ok! yeah i am not a fan of most of the classics though reading Steinbeck in Monterey was cool ;)

love rock bios! though not a rock bio per se the I'm With the Band by Pamela des Barres was pretty wild. if she is to be believed she had a lot of rock star lovers. i love the part where she is with Jim Morrison and they had this bottle of what i think was called tramadol ( well she had it, she apparently could score any drug at will ) and they were pouring it o hankies and sniffing it and getting completely obliterated on it!

21 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

oh ok! yeah i am not a fan of most of the classics though reading Steinbeck in Monterey was cool ;)

love rock bios! though not a rock bio per se the I'm With the Band by Pamela des Barres was pretty wild. if she is to be believed she had a lot of rock star lovers. i love the part where she is with Jim Morrison and they had this bottle of what i think was called tramadol ( well she had it, she apparently could score any drug at will ) and they were pouring it o hankies and sniffing it and getting completely obliterated on it!

That kind of thing connects and is entertaining, out of the ordinary occurrences. It's relatable even if you've never been there. 

But there is I think a difference between writers and story tellers. Somebody was talking about the On the Road movie and how it wasn't that interesting. I thought about it, and that movie is just the story from On the Road. And there isn't much of a story there. But the movie captured none of the writing style of Kerouac which is why he is of note in terms of the literary world, even the counter culture, it was the jazz improv writing style that really makes him notable. It's still not high literature with all the nuances and symbolism. But it has this new thing that came out of the culture. 

But Stephen King is more like a story teller. A master of genre, to the point where in his book On Writing he's basically saying he knows every kind of story there is to tell. He can churn them out, and it seems like he has a team of writers helping him cos he puts out 3 books a year. 

But in the end a great story is not necessarily great literature. It's not that easy. But peope can write stories and bring something new to a genre or their own style or pov for sure. I'm not even sure what literature is for, it's like an old form of intellectual entertainment. It often seems like a long winded way of saying something. Like 2666 I'm not sure what Bolanos is saying, but it was more the style of the writing and these connections he infered that elevated the police procedural above genre. It wasn't just a story, he was playing and dismantling these things, plus each sentence had a beauty. So reading wasn't like slogging through a paperback thriller which has interesting things happening. As a whole and sentence by sentence it was interesting. But in the end you aren't really sure what he was saying really. 

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

that movie sounds excellent! i think when a writer has a set idea then as they are writing that set idea changes entirely is fascinating!

when i write it is always about my life so i don't have to worry about characters, i write what i know. i asked a close friend who has known me forever if i told a stranger all the things that have happened i my life would they believe me? and he said no! i was shocked for a moment but then i thought hey if i have had all these weird, sometimes so happy some so very challenging i don't need to write fiction! been doing this quite a bit. and it has put so much in perspective.

my older brother used to read these books, way out there science fiction. granted i was about 10 when i tried to read some but they were so awful IMO!

if i ever get the nerve i will post some. probably not here, i have been thinking of a blog to start with.

Yeah, I think its a pretty amazing film.  I mean here I am telling writers about a movie, so thank you for not looking down nose at me, haha!  I find that really fascinating too.  You might like the movie.

I kinda feel like one couldn't make up my life either.  Would love to hear your story!

If you dont post here will you share link to blog?  Or is that basically the same thing?

Just now, wasted said:

That kind of thing connects and is entertaining, out of the ordinary occurrences. It's relatable even if you've never been there. 

But there is I think a difference between writers and story tellers. Somebody was talking about the On the Road movie and how it wasn't that interesting. I thought about it, and that movie is just the story from On the Road. And there isn't much of a story there. But the movie captured none of the writing style of Kerouac which is why he is of note in terms of the literary world, even the counter culture, it was the jazz improv writing style that really makes him notable. It's still not high literature with all the nuances and symbolism. But it has this new thing that came out of the culture. 

But Stephen King is more like a story teller. A master of genre, to the point where in his book On Writing he's basically saying he knows every kind of story there is to tell. He can churn them out, and it seems like he has a team of writers helping him cos he puts out 3 books a year. 

But in the end a great story is not necessarily great literature. It's not that easy. But peope can write stories and bring something new to a genre or their own style or pov for sure. I'm not even sure what literature is for, it's like an old form of intellectual entertainment. It often seems like a long winded way of saying something. 

OMG yes. i am reading The Stand for like the 15th time and King is a master story teller. have you read it?

1 minute ago, soon said:

Yeah, I think its a pretty amazing film.  I mean here I am telling writers about a movie, so thank you for not looking down nose at me, haha!  I find that really fascinating too.  You might like the movie.

I kinda feel like one couldn't make up my life either.  Would love to hear your story!

If you dont post here will you share link to blog?  Or is that basically the same thing?

the first thing i am writing is in flux. as soon as i finish it ( or get near to it :) ) i hope to have figured the whole blog thing out.

LOL i do not think i will post it here :P 

1 minute ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

the first thing i am writing is in flux. as soon as i finish it ( or get near to it :) ) i hope to have figured the whole blog thing out.

LOL i do not think i will post it here :P 

Yeah, I probably wouldn't either. :) 

That cool though, hope it goes well!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

OMG yes. i am reading The Stand for like the 15th time and King is a master story teller. have you read it?

No, I've read a few of his though. The Stand is the one with some political angle? I read the synopsis and it could relate to US politics today?