How do you enjoy listening to the Illusions albums?

Listening Habits  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I always listen to albums from start to finish, or even If I do pick out individual tracks, I am still listening to it start to finish at approximately the same time as I tend to devote my time to one album at a time. Not a follower of playlists.

Edited by DieselDaisy
errant '-er'.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Completely not true. He is highlighting certain parts of the song. I've been a professional musician 20 years and have played Izzy in tribute bands. Its not cut, its ringing highlights. The only songs he doesn't  play on are the ones he isnt credited on: Civil War, The Garden, My World obviously and Locomotive. He is low in the mix I admit,  but ringing a guitar out on a root note is what guitarists do, especially in the studio to highlight a bar change etc. 

When we record we record plenty of guitars and even use pianos to put under certain bass notes to bring a note out on front. Its pretty common place. 

I'm saying from lies to illusions,  he's pretty much gone. He didn't let notes "ring" on the first 2 slbums

9 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Completely not true. He is highlighting certain parts of the song. I've been a professional musician 20 years and have played Izzy in tribute bands. Its not cut, its ringing highlights. The only songs he doesn't  play on are the ones he isnt credited on: Civil War, The Garden, My World obviously and Locomotive. He is low in the mix I admit,  but ringing a guitar out on a root note is what guitarists do, especially in the studio to highlight a bar change etc. 

When we record we record plenty of guitars and even use pianos to put under certain bass notes to bring a note out on front. Its pretty common place. 

Thanks for this info, always good to get insight from musicians.  Interesting about the use of piano.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tucknroll said:

I'm saying from lies to illusions,  he's pretty much gone. He didn't let notes "ring" on the first 2 slbums

You ring at certain parts and you riff at certain parts the ringing behind Slashs riff in Dont Damn Me is sublime, simple and darkens the track and then you listen to Perfect Crime and Izzy is back on AFD riffing in and out of Slash. You only play what the song calls for and what you do live and in the studio are very different. 

On September 15, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Sydney Fan said:

can we change the options and have " I enjoy listening to the albums as a 29 song consecutive playlist without My World"

ya I always skip this song (and if husband's driving I quickly skip this song for dear life so I don't have to expose him to this song...he's never heard it)

Personally I listen from the start while I jog...these songs have motivated me for 20 years to get my butt in gear

I take them as individual albums (studio album #3 and studio album #4) that happened to be released on the same day.  Doesn't equate perfectly- but generally feel Use Your Illusion I is more "1990-91"/hard rock/traditional and Use Your Illusion II more "1992-93"/Axl-driven/experimental. Will usually listen to one or the other straight through- but rarely as a cohesive 30 track "set" (more like I progressing into II).

I do like the Use Your Illusion (1998) compilation album for a UYI "fix" when driving around or whatever. The album cover is my favorite Guns-related artwork of all-time too (see avatar)...