GNR Live Key

Every single "classic Guns" song is in E-flat tuning, otherwise known as a half-step down from Standard. The lone exception is The Garden which is in Drop C# tuning (which is just Drop D tuning but a half-step down).

The Chinese Democracy songs vary a little bit with some alternate tunings. The title track is standard Drop D, for example, while TWAT is in Standard. Shackler's is in the mighty Drop B tuning although Bumble and Tommy readapted their respective parts for Drop C#.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

Every single "classic Guns" song is in E-flat tuning, otherwise known as a half-step down from Standard. The lone exception is The Garden which is in Drop C# tuning (which is just Drop D tuning but a half-step down).

The Chinese Democracy songs vary a little bit with some alternate tunings. The title track is standard Drop D, for example, while TWAT is in Standard. Shackler's is in the mighty Drop B tuning although Bumble and Tommy readapted their respective parts for Drop C#.

Gave you a like since you being at 3,499 was giving me OCD.

I believe that Better was in some weird tuning as well, no? Don’t know if the tab was accurate but when I was trying to learn Better it told me Drop C# as well.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Gave you a like since you being at 3,499 was giving me OCD.

I believe that Better was in some weird tuning as well, no? Don’t know if the tab was accurate but when I was trying to learn Better it told me Drop C# as well.

Better is Drop D.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

You play guitar?

Lol I know what you're trying to say (drop D transposed a whole step down), but you're wrong. It's not how they play it live. I don't really care if you believe me or not.

But for the sake of the thread, here's a rig rundown where Richard specifies Better is played in standard drop D live. @ 7:23

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xN2UuwUk8g

37 minutes ago, Jeez said:

Lol I know what you're trying to say (drop D transposed a whole step down), but you're wrong. It's not how they play it live. I don't really care if you believe me or not.

But for the sake of the thread, here's a rig rundown where Richard specifies Better is played in standard drop D live. @ 7:23

Is it still a half step up then?

Edited by AslatIE

Better is most definitely in Drop C#. Most people who play a half-step down just refer to chords as they appear and not as they sound, if that makes sense. I guess theoretically Richard could have transposed his parts to Standard Drop D but I don't see why he would for this particular song.

The bridge riff under "I never wanted you to be so full of anger..." wouldn't work in Standard Drop D because the lowest note is, in fact, a C#. Heck, the chorus and parts of the verse wouldnt even work because the low C# note continues to crop up.

The home key of the song is also C# minor.

Now, I don't know "better" than Richard but Robin and Bumble both most definitely played it in Drop C#.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jeez said:

That may have been a typo on your part but just to clarify for others - Drop D tuning transposed a whole step would be Drop C. Drop C# is just a half-step down. It's typically not referred to as its enharmonic twin "Drop D-flat" because that's what the masters of music theory once decided I guess. :lol:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, James Bond said:

TWAT is in Eb to my ears. At least i played in that tuning.

Everything else i agree.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Izzymacbeth said:

Better is drop C#. Even my own band  plays in Eb and we still call the G shape a G even though its actually F# we hear and likewise with drop D even though its drop C#. 

Eb is my tuning choice as well, it would be a twat to call each chord it's "real" name just because you're half a step down. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Russel Nash said:

TWAT is in Eb to my ears. At least i played in that tuning.

Everything else i agree.

I mean TWAT is easy enough to transpose to E-flat tuning by just shifting everything up a fret but based on the chord shapes on the acoustic guitar track I'm pretty sure it was recorded in standard. Then everything is just your usual B minor chord shapes. It could go either way since it's possible to play it with ease in both tunings.

7 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Eb is my tuning choice as well, it would be a twat to call each chord it's "real" name just because you're half a step down. 

Exactly. Its just easier cos we isually play while teaching etc and in other bands in standard.