PS4 Pro

RussTCB

17 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

You should’ve gone the Xbox One X route. More powerful and the Xbox division is truly more gamer-centric than Sony’s is. Plus 360 and OG backwards compatibility.

Just my humble thoughts on the “Gen 8.5” we have going on

For me, it's one of those "more of my friends play PS4" type of deals. I barely play games online, but when I do, most of the people I know are on Playstation. 

In addition to that, I don't have any old Xbox games, so I don't really need to worry about the back catalog thing. 

• Like 1

I have to say Destiny 2 and Madden look pretty awesome on the Pro. 

I noticed little differences throughout Destiny 2 but the differences on Madden were huge. 

I ran Madden while the update was installing, so it was running in 1080p without HDR. Then I rebooted it after the update installed and it was like playing an entirely different version when it ran in 4K with HDR. 

I'm way happier with Madden this year than usual too. They usually make very small changes, at least in my opinion. They changed enough this year that I think I'll mess with it more than playing just one season as usual. 

• 3 months later...

Bought a Switch a month back but I'm so close to pulling the trigger on buying a PRO too.

Hyped about so many titles, Spider-Man, God of War, Red Dead Redemption2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Witcher 3, MGS5, Uncharted 4, Shadow of the Colossus and a couple more.

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, Wagszilla said:

Does anyone else have a Pro?

I will maybe probably be buying a PS4 for Red Dead Redemption 2 but am not sure if I should buy a standard PS4 or the Pro.

The Pro seems under supported. 

I'm not sure what you mean by the Pro not being supported? 

The PS4 Pro is a PS4 with better tech.  It's needed to run games at 4k, and offers graphical and frame rate improvements to games, even if they are not being run in 4k.  There are no compatibility issues with other PS4 titles, they all play on the PRO.  It's not a new console, it's just a more powerful version of the PS4.

I think I see what you are saying now, and I don't think it works quite like that.  One example that I just happened to be reading about was No Man's Sky.  I was looking at a lot of stuff because I'm playing it since the NEXT patch, and one of the things I saw was that there is a performance difference on the PS4 and PS4 pro.  NMS came out in 2016, it wasn't made for the Pro, but playing it on the pro still is a different experience than on the original PS4.  I believe Far Cry 5 is the same deal.  So really God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3, etc.  are marketing to the Pro.  It's a benefit to all games.

If the $100 isn't a financial burden, it's a 100% must have, imo.

On 8/12/2018 at 8:33 PM, Wagszilla said:

I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the extra $100.

I suppose I should stop overthinking it because increased hardware will lead to better performance.

But I've only heard of a small handful of games really utilizing it. God of War, Horizon: Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3, etc.

It seems kind of weird/half assed considering PS5 isn't too far off.

But I want to see Red Dead 2 in it's maximum glory so I probably should just pony up the dough. 

I have a Pro and I would assume RDR2 will be boosted with it. Destiny 2 and Madden 19 both are and it's a significant difference IMO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2018-08-20 at 2:54 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

I keep hoping my standard ps4 will kick the bucket so I can get a pro to go with my massive 4k tv.....

Why not trade it in for a pro before it dies?  Both Sony and Microsoft have offered amazing trade-in offers where the cost of upgrading isn't so severe.  

3 hours ago, Black Sabbath said:

I'm still mildly boycotting the Pro due to Sony's stupid decision to not include a 4K Blu-ray player in it.

My OG PS4 still works fine, but the novelty of new stuff almost lured me into the 2TB Limited Edition that recently came out.

This is the primary reason why I've stayed with Xbox, along with liking their controllers better.  I would have bought a PS4 Pro but get more use out of my Xbox One S with its ability to play 4K discs.  Will likely upgrade to the X when a promotional trade-in window opens again.  

11 hours ago, downzy said:

Why not trade it in for a pro before it dies?  Both Sony and Microsoft have offered amazing trade-in offers where the cost of upgrading isn't so severe.  

This is the primary reason why I've stayed with Xbox, along with liking their controllers better.  I would have bought a PS4 Pro but get more use out of my Xbox One S with its ability to play 4K discs.  Will likely upgrade to the X when a promotional trade-in window opens again.  

Microsoft is known for having insane Black Friday deals. I bet you could find the X for an insanely good deal then.

1 minute ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Microsoft is known for having insane Black Friday deals. I bet you could find the X for an insanely good deal then.

There was a great deal offered the final two weeks of August (trade in an old Xbox One and pay $299 for a Xbox One X in Canada; $250 in the US).  But stores blew through inventory pretty quickly so I missed out.  

I think you're right, hopefully another promotional trade-in period pops up in November for both the X and the PS4 Pro.  

• GNFNR 1

On 9/11/2018 at 5:42 AM, downzy said:

Unless it is a cost of 0.00, it is likely to be too much. Wife on maternity leave for a year has turned our bank account into a financial black hole! On the plus side the PS4 is in good health (fan is a bit noisy) and ready to go for RDR2 next month.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

Unless it is a cost of 0.00, it is likely to be too much. Wife on maternity leave for a year has turned our bank account into a financial black hole! On the plus side the PS4 is in good health (fan is a bit noisy) and ready to go for RDR2 next month.

I'm right there with you in regards to wife on maternity leave.  No money for fun anymore.  

• 1 month later...

If you have a PS4 there is no point to upgrade to the PS4 Pro , not many titles support the increased spec on the Pro version,

Keep in mind that PS5 is not far off  , so I keep my PS4 and continue to download games from the store in discount offers like they did for Halloween and they will do during Christmas.