Gardening

Gracii Guns

Nah, I don’t have ac! But I’m now able to buy one!!!! :dance: Like 600 bones. Hopefully in the coming weeks!! Ordered some of that breathable uv work clothes too.

Your natives sound like names of pot?!? I got some blue dream right here :lol:. Aw, that’s great that your side project is turning out so well for everyone! Get your (soon to be?) son in law to dig the holes!!

Sad news, a person who had already had a plant stolen had their bed ransacked, leaving most of the plants ripped up and shredded to pieces. I haven’t asked them directly if they have a sense that they are being targeted. But it sure seems that way. Must be really creepy. My heart would break if that happened to me:(

I was thinking about the names of the natives too.  Probably says more about my thinking than how they got their names. :lol:  But it helps me to remember.

There are a lot of assholes out there.  We worry about that too with making our gardens more known as they are unprotected.  It's just a matter of time before the assholes find us.

I'm backing off the side project.  The husband made a comment about if I'm going to be over there all the time once she retires.  I get it, he wants his wife to spend time with him.  I don't really enjoy working with her as she is too ADD and has all these plans that take up my time and energy.  AND I'm having trouble giving up the plants!  You know, once they come home with me and I've taken care of them, I'm attached, lol.

Anyway, time to rotate the hanging plants out of the sun and into the shade.  One more day of intense heat.  I should probably clean house.

You just fire up some of your salvia and think up names of weed :lol:

Oh, thats a bit sad about the side project. Glad that you can see the bright side of it all.

Tiger Mother, who really schooled me on my kale game this year, eventually garnering a compliment saw me today and insisted on filling up a huge bag of her kale for me. Saying "we still need to get you stronger." So this is very thoughtful and absolutely heart warming. And its also hilarious that the kale I raised - even under her tutelage - isnt as healthy as hers :lol:. The reason I was there was to harvest some of my kale!

ezi9wNsh.jpg

I should really clean my ears out more....:awesomeface:

Nah, got there extra early today to bound about the zucchinis swapping pollen. I joke but its really sad. I will remember this season, the first time I had to hand pollenate an out door plant, vividly for the rest of my life. I pray it never comes to the point where Im and elder telling the kids that "we didnt always need to hand pollenate, nature used to be able to do that."

This pic should be the flag of our resistance to ecocide!

Some garden pics:

Spoiler

Pod54UYh.jpg

Chamomile, genovese basil, a tiny catnip centre-toplight of basil, kale, tiny cabbage sprouts, carrots, more basil.

YjcwVNBh.jpg

Some of the same, along with the white cosmos and look at that much greek oregano in the middle!! And the borage stood back up!!!!

wAaNoRYh.jpg

Some of the same along with lavender in bottom left a small valerian at the bottom end of the carrot row. lemon thyme to the right of the valerian.

nyNQ8u7h.jpg

Kale and pattypan, chives, garlic chives

ykXse2Rh.jpg

more kale, more chamomile and cherry tomato 

Not pictured was some winter savoury, anise hyssop, tarragon, holy basil, dill, red cabbage, some other stuff

• Like 1

Eat your kale! :lol:  She's watching you.

Yeah, I don't know what I'm going to do about her.  She's kind of like that little sister who wants to do what you're doing and then keeps coming up with new stuff seeking your approval.  In the meantime, she's got a husband who just out of the blue puts in a vegetable garden in an area we had planned on doing something.  That tells you something.  I don't want to be in this triangle.

Wow your garden looks great!

Edited by cineater
  • Thanks 1

@soon

. Very nice garden.

Congrats.

I did not have a garden story. It is about my front lawn, the backyard where I never go, never watersv, never uses weed and feed, stays fairly nice.

The front yard,this  year just had dirt patches and winter, ugly weeds that were greenish.  This was May 2019. I tilled the dirt. Put down grass seeds, soil, and weed and feed. Watered that. Added sods. They rooted. I had lots of rain in my area during May and June.

I am really proud the sods took. I have a decent front lawn now. It took 2 months. May and June. It was really growing in  late May.

I am happy with myself.

Edited by Latx
Typos
  • GNFNR 1

21 minutes ago, Latx said:

@soon

. Very nice garden.

Congrats.

i did not have a garden story. It is about my front lawn, the backyard where I never go, never wate, never uses weed and feed, stays fairly nice.

The front yard,this  year just had dirt patches and winter, ugly weeds that were greenish.  This was May 2019. I tilled the dirt. Put diwn grass seeds, soil, and weed and feed. Watered that. Added sods. They rooted. I had lots of rain in my area during May and June.

I am really proud the sods took. I have a decent front lawn now. It took 2 months. May and June. It was really growing in  late May.

I am hwppy with myself.

Careful, grass is a gateway to a bigger obsession. :lol:

We'll have to check out this book:  Ruth Scott, No Work Garden Book.  It's good to sit around all night listening to the Dead and reading your Mother Earth News. :lol:  She recommends "deep mulching to keep out weeds and keep in moisture.  Decaying matter adds fertilizer."  I tell folks at the garden all the time mulch the fuck out of it but they still have bare ground under those tomatoes.  I'm not weeding that.

9 hours ago, cineater said:

We'll have to check out this book:  Ruth Scott, No Work Garden Book.  It's good to sit around all night listening to the Dead and reading your Mother Earth News. :lol:  She recommends "deep mulching to keep out weeds and keep in moisture.  Decaying matter adds fertilizer."  I tell folks at the garden all the time mulch the fuck out of it but they still have bare ground under those tomatoes.  I'm not weeding that.

The Dead and Mother Earth News sounds heavenly :lol: I built this years gardens to a soundtrack of the Dead too!

A deep layer of mulch onto of the soil or soil and mulch mixture deep into the ground? No Work Garden sounds like an enticing read, I should check that out. 

I got myself into a less stressful triangle situation then yours, but no fun none the less. A gardener is away and asked me to weed and upkeep, while they asked someone else to water. Now they keep asking me if the other person is keeping up on the watering. I dont want any part in that discussion! And I also dont wanna say my other honest response: "if your concerned about moisture retention then why are you gardening in sand?!?!" :lol:

I always do trust my elders when it comes to gardening!

the Missouri pawpaw. Nope, never heard of it. That’s cool. What’s it’s fruit like?

more carrots ripped up. At this rate I’m fixing to harvest a single serving. Oh well they were intended to be the base for my hot sauce, and of course my cat destroyed all the hot peppers.

I'm trying to convince a person who never goes in her own yard that we should get our retiring friend a speciality shovel, root slayer.  I'm telling her the friend needs it because she wants to remove all this honeysuckle from her yard.  She'll probably need/use it for about 5 years.  The person goes "and then what do you do with it after 5 years but put it in the garage". :blink:  I'm not winning this one. :lol:

Haha! I think I remember you turning me on to that shovel. Root Slayer must be a good one if it last so many years! Or maybe Im a bad gardener - I go through shovels in less time than that?

I really don't understand anyone who has easy access to gardening but who doesn't garden :lol:

She had a tree branch drop on her deck and it stayed there 2 years before the yard guy finally moved it!  It was a pretty big branch.   I suggested she move to a condo. :lol:

Yeah I'm wondering about keeping the teeth on that sharp.  Supposedly, if you store your shovel in a bucket of sand with a little bit of motor oil, it will not need sharpening.  Going in and out of the sand sharpens it and the motor oil keeps the rust away.  Or you do what I do, is let the instructor in the tool sharpening class do your shovel while you do the garden shovels.

With a shovel like that, I'd leave the party and go dig up something. :lol:

Edited by cineater

HAHAHAHA two weeks she left it there!?!?!?! 

What an odd little hack, that sand and motor oil thing. Neat! Ive never even heard of a tool sharpening class - Id love to discover we have something like that around here!! Another good tip about volunteering your shovel.

Dig up some long lost state treasure and its unlimited pawpaw for you :lol:

Get that tiger lady on it.  You should have somebody who sharpens their own tools who would give the group a demonstration.  I dreamed up this class up for us as a way to clean up our tools at the end of the season.  Just a big metal file, the right angle and slide the file out along the pre sharpened edge.  Give it a rub down with a little bit of oil.  There should be youtubes on it.

I thought the Master Gardener group was just a US thing but I think they have it in other countries.  You should see if you have one up there, join it or see if they offer classes.

We do Have Master Gardeners here! I email pics and questions rather often and they help out. Y'all are cool and very appreciated!!! They do a news letter and organize/participate in a few events. We also have the "experimental farm" in the middle of the city that also does some workshops - I learned canning there. And theres also the Just Food Farm where I attend herbalism workshops and plant walks. We have a vibrant gardening and farming community and the annual Seedy Sunday event has so many both and tables plus lots of great workshops. Just never seen one for tool sharpening. Ill make a request!!

One of the more prominent people in local gardening has challenged Ottawa to grow 50% of our food by 2050 and everyone was kinda like "yeah, we could do that." And we really could. Lots of available spaces and lots of gardeners.

I just realized that I can never stop gardening because the effort involved in getting rid of 1000 mason jars, drying racks, dehydrators, growing light systems, seed trays, pots, pressure canners, shallow canning equipment, a shed full of tools and gloves is a greater effort then just doing another season.

isnt that kinda like how Garcia felt about the dead by the 90’s. That it was so big it had to keep on trucking no matter what?

Jerry felt too many people's livelihoods were dependant on the Dead staying in business for him to quit.  He wanted to do something else but he didn't say what.  I don't think he really enjoyed the fame the Dead brought, the pressure to go commercial and what was happening to the relationships in the band.  He openly stated he didn't like the Deadheads who followed the band around.

Enough of that for one night.  I've been cleaning up all the garden tags we use for the plant sale.  There's hundreds of them to do.

Edited by cineater
  • Like 1

Cleaning up garden tags sounds tedious! And poor Jerry. Actually, come to think of it I heard a leary and garcia recording once that repeated "poor mother earth... poor poor jerry garcia" 

I will harvest a lot of holy basil today and dry it for a tincture. I need to thin my anise hyssop but I want it to go in a garden somewhere. Why does no one want my anise hyssop? Tomorrow I will start harvesting my chamomile. Sunday I will harvest another round of kale. With also tending to my tomato I should have a much more organized garden by Monday. Then its time to think about some pesto!!!