Gardening

Gracii Guns

Hyssop?  That shit is highly invasive if you don't deadhead it.  Smells god awful until you get addicted to it and is generally covered in bees.  Do your area a favor and just randomly start planting it around town. :lol:

Jerry had a bad drug problem.  "Takes all you got just to stay on the beat" was probably written about him.  Some of the live recordings are pretty shocking where he doesn't remember what verse he is singing.  Happens pretty often and they still play those concerts.  Some of those long solos are just him on a drug trip.  But if that don't bother you, some pretty great stuff going on.

Edited by cineater

I think Hyssop and Anise Hyssop might be different? Because Ive grown AH before and not found it to be invasive? Its a culinary herb that tastes of anise. The strangest purple flowers - they're like origami cones. Is that the same plant? I hope it draws pollinators! Anise hyssop for everyone :lol:

Ive been into Mydland era shows only for a while now. Sometimes Jerry grins and shakes his head in appreciation for some of Midlands musical choices. Almost like he's saying "you naughty boy, tisk tisk" But then when I see a 90s show you can see Hornsby trying even just to get Jerry to look at him. Hornsbys got this huge smile and is playing beautiful lines, woven with Jerry. But jerry just wont look up or really get into it with him. Its really sad. Im thankful for YouTube algorithms in this instance because I have yet to be suggested a Jerry forgetting words track. I seem to get the 'fan favourites, best video and audio, stand alone tracks' offered in my feed. Him forgetting lyrics and stuff sounds miserable. But yeah "the music never stopped" so the rest of the band is still working its magic.

Oh shoot, good to know. A lot of my herbs are bolting currently but I dont think the Anise Hyssop will mature to that point this season, thankfully.

I love that Europe 72 tour! Thats one of the first things that got me into them. 

In the 70s was he already messing up lyrics?

Edited by soon

Not that I can hear and he was generally into it and having a good time on stage with the rest of the band.  There's varying degrees of drug usage in folks so it could be different shows over periods of time.  And you have to remember big time drugs were what they refer to as pure up to the end of the mid 70's.  Once they started getting cut with other things, weird shit started to happen.  Keith Richards talks about it in his book. 

I'm not real good about what year with stuff and really don't read stuff about Jerry or even watching old footage.  I'm more listening.  It wasn't the words he messed up, it was the verses and sometime like in Ramble on Rose the order of the lines.  As far as playing, he could have been improvising, he was spot on.  Although he would take off on long solos leaving you wondering when he was coming back, lol.  I left that world for a long time but when I checked back in, Jerry was changed and he died a short time after that.  Such a shame when medical help was only down the hall.

13 hours ago, cineater said:

Not that I can hear and he was generally into it and having a good time on stage with the rest of the band.  There's varying degrees of drug usage in folks so it could be different shows over periods of time.  And you have to remember big time drugs were what they refer to as pure up to the end of the mid 70's.  Once they started getting cut with other things, weird shit started to happen.  Keith Richards talks about it in his book. 

Live Dead, Working Mans Dead and American Beauty are such incredible records. And they always uplift me - even the sad songs. I feel the hope and positivity. That era is the 'fun era' in my mind (even with Pigpens death). Iirc the Dead were off the road and not recording in the mid 70's due to the cocaine use? Must be when it got mixed with other stuff.

13 hours ago, cineater said:

I'm not real good about what year with stuff and really don't read stuff about Jerry or even watching old footage.  I'm more listening.  It wasn't the words he messed up, it was the verses and sometime like in Ramble on Rose the order of the lines.  As far as playing, he could have been improvising, he was spot on.  Although he would take off on long solos leaving you wondering when he was coming back, lol.  I left that world for a long time but when I checked back in, Jerry was changed and he died a short time after that.  Such a shame when medical help was only down the hall.

He was Rambing in Ramble on Rose. Its so sad about his playing too. He is often cited as the 'last melodic soloist' from the jazz communities perspective. Some of his long solos are still very concise in the melodic sense (when he's "on"). To go from that to just noodling around is such a waste.

The story of his arrest always gave me the creeps, he's just sitting in his porche doing hard drugs by himself. What could possibly be fun about that? To me it looks like he had it all - and like you say help was available to him - but something just wasnt going right for him.

As a Dead fan have you grown and Scarlet Begonias or any other dead related flowers/plants?

Oh he wasn't noodling around but there's only so much of that the person not playing can take of it.  I've driven all the way to my mother's house and Jerry is still soloing, lol.  You stay with it because you think he's about ready to come out of it and go into a song only to have him weave his way into another song and he starts working within that one.  Interesting to a point but land somewhere!  I'm ready to sing along.

My Begonias are white and pink.  And I'm allergic to roses.  I'm trying to think what plants they sing about.  I don't think I've noticed many mentioned.  Don't normally think of music and plants together.  I don't know that there are many musicians who are gardeners.  I think Springsteen mentioned he like to garden.  From the satellite view I saw of Axl's place one time it looked like there was a gardener there.

42 minutes ago, cineater said:

I've driven all the way to my mother's house and Jerry is still soloing

:lol:

That would make a great t-shirt ! Well said.

Im not sure if there any other planets they sing about either, but figured Id ask since I dont know the band as deeply as you do.

Willie Nelson is in the gardening biz :devilshades: :lol:

I just know the music and a little bit about the band.  Enough to say Bobbie can be a bit of a bastard. :lol:

Found out today my guy who was taking all the marigolds to the park isn't doing that next year.  His park person is retiring and he doesn't care for the incoming person.  It will give me a chance to grow some other things.  Funny thing about retirement, you start something new, it lasts for a bit and then changes.  You never really get to feel planted.

Its those short-shorts that give him the extra attitude :lol:

Yay new project! Ive never grown marigolds. It seems to me that flowers are often hater than vegetables to grow from seed?

And thank you to you cin, our forums very own Master Gardener and solver of all my gardening woes, these pattypan will happen

ZTpVxhcl.jpg

And check this out, this mobile market parks in our garden once a week! Very affordable and its not only food, theres paper towels and such. 

3EBdc3Rh.jpg

It was grey and over cast at dawn. There was a murder of crows. The garden looked and felt creepy. I had a bit of a chill. Had run out of milk and was drinking black coffee. I’m down to just one carrot. Things were “off”

eventually a group of tough guy youngsters rambles by. With one interrupting everyone else with “dude! Yo look at this! It’s so pretty!!!” About our garden. Stopping their conversations completely :lol:

serioulsy where am I ?? In the bizarro world?!?

Edited by soon

Haha, thats how i should showcase my large garden - in the dark! :lol:

At the little one all my fill in cabbages are overshadowed, so Im thinking there will be no cabbage. So for a relatively small garden I have lost dozens of tomato and peppers (before planting the bed) all but one carrot, thyme, sage, chives, lovage and now cabbage. Thankfully I none the less have a full, lush garden despite the losses!

It's been a weird gardening year.  We haven't had those long stretches of over 90.  The raised beds have needed watering but the ground level plants haven't needed it.  This morning we are getting a nice soaking rain.  Would rather have rain then hose water.  Everything is growing more than it should.

Im glad its not just me having a weird season. My raised bed needs daily watering - kinda annoying.

Someone said the following to me and Im confused by it: "Its going to rain so I need to go home and water my garden because I collect rain water in a barrel and its full. So I need to make space before it rains."

Wha? That cant be the ideal method?!? Ive never used a barrel system so I figure maybe theres something I don know. But, Im pretty sure that sounds counter productive? Plus the over watering?

Yeah, I figured that couldn't be right. Also, whats wrong with the barrel over flowing a bit, it wouldn't be anymore then what would landed on the ground from the rain.

I just learned that some of the young ladies at the garden refer to me as "flirty bird." :lol: They're good with it and I respect boundaries and all that. But it was a middle aged women who first told me and it seemed clear that she didnt like any of it one bit. She said "hows your dance card, oh I mean garden going?" cin, as a lead, do you think I will get a talking to? I'd be mortified to have that conversation! Its all just some fun between pals. Also, the big boss bish of our garden and I have some sort of thing too wherein she's overly familiar with me with email greetings like "hey you." It would be her talking to me about it. Ahhhh the walls are closing in! And the worst part is that I've done this to myself :lol:

Lunch with garden fresh genovese basil and last years pickled hot peppers. This is what its all about to me!!:

9O70rqjl.jpg

Edited by soon

Men think filtering is a little bit of fun.  Women see it differently.  I'm like "oh god fucking damn it", lol.  It reduces you to a sex object.  Women find it creepy and flat out don't like it.  If you wouldn't say that to your guy friends, don't say it to a woman.  And when you're doing that guy talk you wouldn't want to say to her face, you sure as hell don't say it to another woman's face, lol.  Flirting among adults should only happen between people who already have an intimate relationship going on.

You got the talking to.  Don't worry, they will feel bad about it.  You need to just back off and wait for them to come around.  Secretly they liked some of that and once you take what's seen as outward advances off the table, you're forgiven.  Be sure to use their name when talking to them, point out their hard work and refer to their gardening abilities.  They're still waiting for you to turn back into flirty birdy, don't make that mistake again.  It will take years for them to forget that.

Er, the big boss wants your ass. Is that the Tiger lady?

Thanks for your feedback, cin. I guess I will be getting a talking to. The boss thing, right? She's not the Tiger lady, I dont think she's online. The Tiger Lady is both yours and mines elder and she's so stern that she only greats me by saying my name :lol: 

I mean, I wanna be clear that we aren't talking about sexual harassment here! How do I put this? .... Its those girls with their dogs always coming by my beds as if the dog made em do it :lol: And we have some chit chat 

Flirty Bird is apparently what some people who enjoy chatting with me at the garden call me, in jest. I respect women very much so I will meditate on your words. Thank you :) 

There were multiple bees in my beds today!!! (edit: not innuendo!! haha. actual honey bees)

Edited by soon

Flirty Bird and "how's your dance card" sounds like she thinks you are after the girls.  So if you're not doing nothing, it's her "dirty fucking mind"!  I'd be a little pissed of the roll you are being cast in.  People, it just so happens to be women, come by to chat with you because you know your shit and your garden is in order.  It's just her, not you.

• Like 1

I can not cut a straight line with that weed wacker.  And I end up covered in shit.  I need one of those with training wheels.  It's heavy to begin with and when I turn it on it's side I have to walk backwards to see what I'm cutting.  Plus it is resting on my hip so the hot engine is blowing heat on me.  But it was a beautiful night in the garden (and nobody saw who cut those lines :lol:).

Something about weedwacking at night just sounds strange :lol: 

Would you rather just go solo lead or is the way too much stuff to do?

I still think if that one women is bothered that shell report it and I still think I will have a weird conversation today. Im trying to see the humour in it. Im confident that I have good relationships with everyone that I know. It'll be awkward and then it'll be over.

Kale harvest 3 starts at full light :dance: