Gardening

Gracii Guns

As much as I hate the slow process of the group, I think I would like to have a few of the individual garden leads who have opinions, some different from my own, be on a new team approach to managing the gardens.  There's around 30 of us over individual garden responsibilities kind of doing our own thing.  There's no real pulling together as a group.  The 30 people meet every quarter for an hour and they show up mostly to socialize.  We keep doing the same thing over and over again.

It's so strange how far behind you are from us.  In one way it's great your growing season isn't as long, believe me I'm tired of gardening, and in another way I'd freak if I couldn't be gardening.  My sister in Michigan is telling me she only has about 6 weeks left.  I still have months.  Although I saw a flock of Canadian Geese flying east yesterday.  That's way early for them.

Oh that is wise. To desire different opinions. No real pulling together and just coming to socialize... sounds like my church :lol:

This year we are especially behind!! And it sucks. But maybe autumn will be kind. I once planted 135 day dent corn on July 5th and was still ale to harvest it!! Id love a longer season - Im sure Id sometimes get tired of it too - but Im one of those who likes the idea of using 5 sqft to grow two rounds of peas, one round of summer squash, and two rounds of kale. Id be lucky to get one round of peas, squash and kale.

Oh those poor geese! I havent actually seen a single Canada Goose come to think of it. Hopefully I just haven't been in the right places. Kinda a scary thought if they're confused by the weather and cruising east in the mid-west!

After second lunch I will swing by the garden for some herbs for dinner, but based n the morning, it seems there will be no talking too!!

We're not as hot as we normally are but we're still hot.  They shouldn't show up here until September.  We do have Canadian Geese that stay here year around but they don't do that V flock stuff.  The migrators show up in March, have their babies and head out in May.  Maybe they are flying over to the Atlantic Flyway.  I wouldn't think it would take them 5 weeks to get there though.  Might be an early winter.

So the girl I wanted on my team says to me she talked to other folks around the state who say they get done what they get done.  She was commenting on my desire to make our place look more like the Botanical Gardens in how it's kept up.  Yeah off the team, lol.  And the guy just kind of walked away from me, lol.  Yeah get your ass back here.  He's the complainer.  He's the reason I got the job because they didn't want him in it.  This is working out so well so far.  The other people who've had my job think the team approach is a great idea.

I did do good though.  I guy I wanted to step up to lead the social media group originally was non committal.  He's stepped up big time!  He got sucked in, lol.  It's off and running.

You're so boss! It cant be easy. Fire her ass :headbang:

Social media is happening. Great start!! Way to go, cineater!!

Interesting abut the geese - I didnt know some stayed there year round. And since geese came up Ive been sad that I didnt see any goslings this spring. They are the cutest!!!

I've learned to keep it in my head.  It's a struggle some days not to let it out.  :lol:

Was at the garden at 7:30 this morning for an appointment.   It's the first of the month so I weed my beds.  Got over half of them done plus worked 2 other gardens.  Long fucking morning.

It's Jerry's birthday.

Edited by cineater

My friend retired yesterday (and her husband went out of town today) so tonight she called me over to get started on a plan for more natives.  They should have got her that shovel!  We toured the native bed at the garden for more plant choices.  Got an amazing shot of a Tiger Swallowtail.  He's huge, yellow and on the purple blazing prairie star.  If you look at him right he has a piano pattern, black keys.  I'm taking a class on the iPhone so I expect to be posting pictures at some point.

Talked to the Daylily lead about developing a variety we could name after the Extension Center.  It will take years and we'll probably come up with a couple of new varieties.  She wants to name one after me, Hot Cindy.  That would be cool to have a Daylily named after me even if it's only a local thing.

Got a new native, Hairy Petunia.   It's pretty cool being with the native people.  Any plant you want, somebody has extras.

I finally remembered to google my question.  Here's the answer.

Beekeepers wear white beekeeping suits because white is the least attractive to an angry Honey Bee. Honey Bees become angry when they feel threatened and animals that are a threat to the hive are not white. For many centuries the bear was a big threat, and now that color is imprinted in the Honey Bee's DNA.

Not the best hobby if you're a man of color, just saying. :lol:

On August 6, 2019 at 2:05 PM, cineater said:

Soon, you on assisted vacation?  You can always find me hanging with the rest of the outlaws.  Reading really good stuff on cover crops.  My Rose Mallow is blooming!

Hey cineater! Thats really interesting about the beekeepers white gear. Ive also seen vids of no gear beekeeping or with out the smoke and it seems like some folks just jive with the bees and others dont so much. 

I hope that native bed situation is without any family drama?

You get to create and name new varieties. And Hot Cindy?!?!? Too cool! I love that name!! :headbang:

Thats great about your smart phone course! Cant wait to see the pics!!

My borage has bees on it pretty much non stop and last time i went to hand pollenate the pattypan there were multiple bees in each flower!!!! :dance:

My herbs are in prime harvest and I am loving it. Blistered cherry tomatoes fresh from the vine with some herbs and balsamic vinaigrette :drool: 

04rqmwdh.jpg

RIP Jerry. "let there be songs to fill the air"

Oh right cheese - forgot to mention. Some flakes of asiago on some blistered cherry tomatoes and toast for a real treat. Might make some soft cheese balls with herbs now that you raise it!

I think you have to transfer the photos to a hosting/sharing site like Imgur or pintrest. Thats how I was taught to do it at least. 

4 hours ago, soon said:

RIP Jerry. "let there be songs to fill the air"

Oh right cheese - forgot to mention. Some flakes of asiago on some blistered cherry tomatoes and toast for a real treat. Might make some soft cheese balls with herbs now that you raise it!

I think you have to transfer the photos to a hosting/sharing site like Imgur or pintrest. Thats how I was taught to do it at least. 

Can I do it with a Facebook page?  (Shoots self in foot.)

A professional horticulturist sent an email complimenting our gardens on how well they looked when she visited last Wednesday.  See what happens when you guys mow the grass. :lol:  They had mowed the grass the night before.  Thank god.  It all starts with the grass being mowed.  But she was also impressed with how healthy everybody looked.

7 minutes ago, cineater said:

Can I do it with a Facebook page?  (Shoots self in foot.)

A professional horticulturist sent an email complimenting our gardens on how well they looked when she visited last Wednesday.  See what happens when you guys mow the grass. :lol:  They had mowed the grass the night before.  Thank god.  It all starts with the grass being mowed.  But she was also impressed with how healthy everybody looked.

Thats such a great compliment!! Way to go! Well those healthy plants are in good hands. Good thing she didnt notice your crocked weed whacker lines! :lol: 

Im not sure about using Facebook. Im not on fb. I know that you can imbed tweets on here. So if you have twitter you can post pics there and then imbed the tweets here (you just cut and paste and the full tweet appears). If you wanna go that route I can help you get the hang of it - its super easy. Although, if privacy remains a goal, using a private Imgur or other similar sites account is likely a better route. 

3 hours ago, soon said:

Thats such a great compliment!! Way to go! Well those healthy plants are in good hands. Good thing she didnt notice your crocked weed whacker lines! :lol: 

Im not sure about using Facebook. Im not on fb. I know that you can imbed tweets on here. So if you have twitter you can post pics there and then imbed the tweets here (you just cut and paste and the full tweet appears). If you wanna go that route I can help you get the hang of it - its super easy. Although, if privacy remains a goal, using a private Imgur or other similar sites account is likely a better route. 

I'm going to wait until I get through the iPhone training and figure out what to do about pictures.  I'm not really wanting a presence on the net.  I am though enjoying taking pics with my phone.  Didn't think I could enjoy taking pictures again but then again my subjects aren't people. :lol:  Mistake to tell people you took an iPhone class, everybody has questions.

That person obviously didn't lay eyes on the daylily path.  Put daylilies down as a favorite of deer.  First they ate all the blooms and now they are eating the plants to the ground.  We have a new person over there who didn't know to spray them with deer repellent.  Doesn't really hurt the roots so they will come back.

10 hours ago, cineater said:

Soon, you any good with cellular biology?  I'm wondering if a bacterial infection changes a cell.  I'm thinking it does.

No, but Ill take it as a compliment that you asked! ha

Youre my Master Gardener and what youre surmising seems likely. ??

Aw, Hot Cindy* got an infection?

*the plant :lol:

11 hours ago, cineater said:

Soon, you any good with cellular biology?  I'm wondering if a bacterial infection changes a cell.  I'm thinking it does.

It depends on the type of bacterial infection, but common to them is that the bacteria invade host tissue and often leads to cell death. 

Viruses, on the other hand, tend to take over host cells and reprogram to virus production, resulting in massive copying of the virus and death of the cell in the end. 

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

So I have another brilliant idea.  I need a path from one side of a large grass area to the other.  The big industrial mower needs to be able to mow right over it and it needs to stand up to flooding.  Plus that area is used for various events so the path can't interfere with their setups.  I don't want to put a lot of effort into it or money.  I was thinking about cutting a path with the push mower, set to cut lower than the surrounding grass, and then just fertilizing the path on a regular bases to make that grass greener.  Then to set it off even more, I would line the path on both sides with a light green/yellow sedum plant I have bunch of and doesn't mind being mowed over.  The different colors should set it off as a path.  It wouldn't get enough traffic to wear it down to dirt so I don't have to worry about that. 

It would connect one garden to another garden on the other side of the yard, keep walking folks, completing our pathway system all around the garden.  We had to cut off the existing path as a corner of our property is in danger of falling into the creek.

Part of your property is at risk of falling onto the creek?! I guess the water eroded it from below?

The sounds like a nice and simple path. At the one garden here it is a daily occurrence that someone will park their car in a way that completely blocks the path to half the garden :facepalm:

Pattypans are getting close to maturity. Theyre matte white and really neat looking. Cant wait! Roasted with rice vinegar, oregano and tarragon. Speaking of tarragon, Im not sure why but this season when I gift some people respond like its the most luxurious of herbs. So that make me happy.

The creek flood water is eroding the whole property from underneath.  They want 140,000 to fix it.  The city said they'd split it with us.  Nobody seems in a rush to take that on.

I know, what is with people blocking the paths and parking in the plants/sidewalk?  Fucking truck drivers!  It's a daily rant for me.