Gardening

Gracii Guns

Yikes!!!! I was under the impression that the flooding wasnt effecting you, but it is from below!! Bonkers! Would the school that hosts you be paying as well? Lots of cash to say the least.

Its erie to think that your garden is under attack from below :nervous:. Hope it gets taken care of in a timely manner, what a hassle!

Its daily for you too? Wish it werent but its nice to be able to commiserate at least :lol:

3 hours ago, soon said:

That sucks! Youll always have a garden there though I hope?

It's a funding combination.  The county owns the property and building.  The University supplies the professional staff.  The University is bound by a land grant to service the county.  The very minimum the county has to do is provide a work space.  If the university pulls their staff and reduces it to one part time person there would be no need for property and a building.  If the county decides they don't want all those services, they could close up shop.  Add to that, the University is paying those jobs so little they go unfilled for over a year so the county may not feel they are getting the services any way.

Fortunately, it's two institutions.  Efficiency in managing their resources is not their strong suit.  They just keep cutting the budget.  I would have moved this whole operation into existing government space a long time ago.  There's plenty of space in the county parks for my group to set up shop.  Not that I want to move anything, lol, but I'm never without a back up plan.

Yikes, so many moving pieces. My head is spinning!! Sounds like adequate funding for the schools would do a lot of people a world of good.

Your team are lucky to have someone like you who has back up plans in place. I really hope it gets sorted in the easiest possible way.

43 minutes ago, soon said:

Someone stole all of my pattypan! :anger:

That sucks!  You had another person whose stuff was stolen too?  You could throw that bird netting over the top of your beds.  Hopefully your thief won't take the time to mess with it and raid the more open beds.

12 minutes ago, cineater said:

That sucks!  You had another person whose stuff was stolen too?  You could throw that bird netting over the top of your beds.  Hopefully your thief won't take the time to mess with it and raid the more open beds.

I am livid. Yes lots of theft and also sabotage :facepalm:. They couldn’t just leave me one?

bird nettings a good idea. Was planning to purchase some next season. Might bump that up. Was also thinking of rubbing spilanthes all over everything!! Haha put the fear of god in ya - get home and eat the food you stole and then you drool profusely for unknown reason!! :lol:

glass half full: I planted my Valerian too close to other herbs - it will be quite large by end of next season. So this is a decent place to move it to.

but still... they better hope I don’t catch them in the act :axl92:

People who are pass by thieves, leave shit behind.  Your thief is likely one of you.  It's the last person at the garden who knows you have all left or the first person there in the morning.  They've walked around the garden and scoped out what they want to take.  They are probably not a very good at taking care of their own garden.  Leave and come back 15 minutes later or show up early and you might just catch them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, soon said:

Very great tips!! I’m sure you are right. And actually the person I had a hunch about has a poorly maintained garden! And he’s always walking around the garden and always has lots of bags.

thanks!!

Okay, you're not going to like this but you have to go make friends with the guy, lol.  There's some reason he's stealing.  Find out why he's out there.  If you can help him be a better gardener maybe he'll respect what you do or at least leave his friend's shit alone.

Tomorrow we are preparing lunch from the garden.  I'm excited.  I've got two girls who know what they are doing.  There's a reason I eat all my veggies raw, yeah I'm a lousy cook.

18 minutes ago, cineater said:

Okay, you're not going to like this but you have to go make friends with the guy, lol.  There's some reason he's stealing.  Find out why he's out there.  If you can help him be a better gardener maybe he'll respect what you do or at least leave his friend's shit alone.

Tomorrow we are preparing lunch from the garden.  I'm excited.  I've got two girls who know what they are doing.  There's a reason I eat all my veggies raw, yeah I'm a lousy cook.

You're correct: I do not like that :lol:. But its wise and makes a lot of sense. A little like community policing? I'll see if he's open to some tips for his garden - its a very eccentric do with little plant action.

Id like two girls to make me lunch! That sounds like a really nice thing to do at the garden. All get together and enjoy the bounty. I tried to get a hot wings competition going but it fizzled with people not seeing the connection to the garden (everything the goes in hot sauce is from a garden!!!)

I used to get CSA (community supported agriculture) veggie boxes delivered weekly. And what was cool was that since the veggies are more rare varieties (do to the need to start delivering fresh produce in early summer) so the boxes always came with recipes for the box. I learned a lot about cooking veggies that way. The pattypan recipe I posted just earlier was from a box actually.

If he is your thief, it will freak him out that you are suddenly talking to him. :lol:

Hey this Airdrop with the iPhone is a pretty cool thing.  I can really fuck with some folks.  Didn't learn a lot about pictures but I can save them to Amazon Prime.  Can I post pictures here using that?

Haha, I should offer him some pattypan! 

‘I learned how to fuck with people with my iPhone!’ Sounds like time well spent :lol:

I’m not sure about amazon prime - but I strongly suspect that it would work. If there is any sort of share/download/etc options? If so try cutting and pasting any of the links to a post on the forum. Hopefully the picture will then appear. There maybe a few different links - you should try them all until one works

Oh cool - I knew we could eat the leaves but not that they make a good sauce. A lot of asian people in the small garden buy the leaves/stem from the grocery store and then plant them. They dont grow any sweet potatoes, its just for the leaves. Tasty from what I remember.

Thought this article on one of our local cattle farmers was interesting. Mostly the parts about perennial plants having the ability to absorb carbon and trap it underground. I mean Im thankful that the folks interviewed speak in favour of eating pasture raised meats, but Im mostly raising this article about the carbon sequestering. 

I wonder if my bed of perennial herbs has a similar positive impact? Or does it have to be full coverage like grass? I bet @cineater 's native beds sequester carbon? 

An age-old method for raising cattle can actually help reduce greenhouse gases, farmers argue

Payne is one of a number of small-scale "regenerative farmers" who believe that raising grass-fed cattle can actually help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. 

"We use animals here as tools on the land to capture the carbon and store it in the ground," Payne said.

Carbon capture, as it's called, involves keeping plant life healthy so it can pull carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and into the soil, trapping it underground. 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/red-meat-local-farmer-ottawa-1.5244343

Edited by soon

I'll have to research that carbon one.  Could have had an animal poop out that seed too.

Okay, now we've got it going on.  Instead of making just another pergola in the prairie, we're going to make it an outdoor classroom, complete with built in benches and a tin roof.  I'm pretty excited about this project! 

We have to get the classroom approved by a couple of groups so building should start in October.  First we will have a class on the site to teach "how to save native plants from areas that are about to be uninhabitable". :lol:  Otherwise known as "help us dig out these plants".

Our Master Naturalist also said all the signs are pointing to an early fall.  Forgot to ask her why but we had two deer by the garden.  They show up in the fall and spring so they are about 6 weeks early.  Could be they got disoriented from the flood waters but I'm feeling early fall too.

http://theconversation.com/plants-absorb-more-co2-than-we-thought-but-32945

Okay so through photosynthesis the plant absorbs CO2.  50% is immediately released back into the air and 90% of what gets stored in the ground eventually gets released.  That's how mother nature works.  I can tell you her system is very accommodating for all kinds of variables, usually coming in lesser or greater amounts than needed.  But at some point she can't keep up and shit happens.  She usually cleans up her mess but it takes time.

But a cow is going to eat plants whether they eat at home or grainhub brings it to them.  I would think as a cow farmer you wouldn't want your cows out there on bare earth where it's hotter, dustier and walking around in their own shit, so you're going to have to keep that in some kind of plants.  If they don't buy grain for the cows, is the grain property now going to become factory land?  Are they just changing the location of the plants that are absorbing the CO2?  So, I don't think I'm impressed with the holier than thou approach.

The real problem is the chemicals that go into grain production.  They're showing up in the soil, in the plants and in the animals and thus in our food sources.  Picture perfect and producing as a plant should has a few weeds and lots of bugs involved.  Mother Nature has a reason for weeds/bugs and only having so many plants of one kind in one area.  Monsanto, stop trying to improve what Mother Nature does and get with the fucking program!

32 minutes ago, soon said:

HAHAH! I like the way you think!I hope it gets approved!

Hopefully fall holds out long enough for my lentils to mature. On the other hand I cannot wait to stop harvesting kale! :lol:

The name alone with get it approved.  My job is getting people to start thinking about what they will teach out there and get them excited about helping us build it.  We'll probably sneak the footings in there while it's getting approved so we are ready to run with it.

I know, I'm almost looking forward to the first killing frost.  I've become a real fan of cooler temps and cloud covered days.