1995-Joint interview with Slash and Eddie Van Halen

I remember an interview with Slash where he said that with izzy on rhythm it was the most interesting musically he ever sounded. if izzy was a better guitar player technically im not sure appetite for example would have sounded better. you only need to listen to izzy's isolated wttj guitar track on youtube to hear what a perfect contrast his playing was to slash's leads. 

11 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I remember an interview with Slash where he said that with izzy on rhythm it was the most interesting musically he ever sounded. if izzy was a better guitar player technically im not sure appetite for example would have sounded better. you only need to listen to izzy's isolated wttj guitar track on youtube to hear what a perfect contrast his playing was to slash's leads. 

And in some songs Izzy also played the cooler guitar parts. For example in Mr. Brownstone, the riff Izzy plays is cooler than the one Slash plays. At least, when I play that song on guitar, and play the main riff, I always play Izzy's part because it's more the lead part and more interesting.

Edited by EvanG

14 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

Didn’t he have Gilby play on 5 o’ clock somewhere? And didn’t they have him as the rhythm guitarist at the R&R hall of fame performance? I think Slash likes both but in the interview he even said Gilby is a “godsend”

I am not trying to mock Gilby, he's definitely a more technically skilled guitar player than Izzy. As for his appearance at the Hall of Fame event - he was there, because Izzy didn't want to be there. As simple as that.

I just wanted to point out Slash's opinions in 1995 were still influenced by the fact he was pissed off at Izz because of his departure in 91 and his attitude in 93 (I mean those 5 gigs). But later he realised their cooperation was something really special and ever since then he has nothing but kind words for Izzy's playing. I also remember reading somewhere his relationship with Gilby got worse because Gilby later sued the GNR management. But again - since then it changed and they're fine now.

Let alone the fact Marc Canter mentioned more than once: Slash says some things just to look cool and changes his opinions very often.

Slash thinking like that about Izzy back in the 90s-90s doesn't mean that he thought in the same way 10 years later or that he thinks like that today. Maybe, in hindsight, he saw things differently and that's why he painted a different picture in his book, for example.

What he thought back then, though, sheds some light on what really went down with the band. The Slash-Izzy issue is a piece of the puzzle that has generally been overlooked in the simplified views of the band's history as merely "Axl Vs the rest of the band".

And there are things that remain till this day; for example, that Slash prefers to do all or most of the guitar work in the studio by himself.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Rayno said:

I am not trying to mock Gilby, he's definitely a more technically skilled guitar player than Izzy. As for his appearance at the Hall of Fame event - he was there, because Izzy didn't want to be there. As simple as that.

I just wanted to point out Slash's opinions in 1995 were still influenced by the fact he was pissed off at Izz because of his departure in 91 and his attitude in 93 (I mean those 5 gigs). But later he realised their cooperation was something really special and ever since then he has nothing but kind words for Izzy's playing. I also remember reading somewhere his relationship with Gilby got worse because Gilby later sued the GNR management. But again - since then it changed and they're fine now.

Let alone the fact Marc Canter mentioned more than once: Slash says some things just to look cool and changes his opinions very often.

I hadn’t heard Slash say bad things about Izzy before and was surprised by what he said in the article. Good to know that he’s mended most, if not all of the fences of past relationships.

I can't stop but LMAOA!

You guys are either stupid as fuck or pretend to be stupid for some really odd reason.

Every single day you pull out some interview from 25 years ago and try finding some sense. Do you honestly think they will say publicly what they talk between themselves?

One guy say 'Slash talked shit about Izzy in '95', then another says 'I don't think Ax hated Iz in 1995'!?!? Seeeeriously....WTF?

Ax was so butt hurt he dedicated EVERY single DTJ to Izzy until the fuckin end in July 1993!

Eversince Iz left, it was a policy of the band to talk shit about Izzy.   I am sorry if you just got into the band recently, bu some of us grew up on this bend and remember the interviews very well.  Slash and Axl, as did Duff, used every single opprotunity to talk shit about Iz until the end of the band or until they left. 

Someone says, make me belive that Slash visit to Ax house was true.   Of course it was! They almost fuckin admited it by now. What planet do you live on.   I mean it is 2018, not 2005 first week after the release came out. Slash and Axl play in the same band again, go figure if it was true

Slash talked this about Snakepit, Slash said that about VR, but not aout SMKC....Of course he did, it is called former band and current band.  Did you ever hear a band say 'our next record is shit??'....

Jesus....

I can't stop but LMAOA!

You guys are either stupid as fuck or pretend to be stupid for some really odd reason.

Every single day you pull out some interview from 25 years ago and try finding some sense. Do you honestly think they will say publicly what they talk between themselves?

One guy say 'Slash talked shit about Izzy in '95', then another says 'I don't think Ax hated Iz in 1995'!?!? Seeeeriously....WTF?

Ax was so butt hurt he dedicated EVERY single DTJ to Izzy until the fuckin end in July 1993!

Eversince Iz left, it was a policy of the band to talk shit about Izzy.   I am sorry if you just got into the band recently, bu some of us grew up on this bend and remember the interviews very well.  Slash and Axl, as did Duff, used every single opprotunity to talk shit about Iz until the end of the band or until they left. 

Someone says, make me belive that Slash visit to Ax house was true.   Of course it was! They almost fuckin admited it by now. What planet do you live on.   I mean it is 2018, not 2005 first week after the release came out. Slash and Axl play in the same band again, go figure if it was true

Slash talked this about Snakepit, Slash said that about VR, but not aout SMKC....Of course he did, it is called former band and current band.  Did you ever hear a band say 'our next record is shit??'....

Jesus....

4 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

I can't stop but LMAOA!

You forgot your medication today? Dude WTF:facepalm: It’s called a conversation, no need to be so rude.

• Thanks 1
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, Ninjapie24 said:

I hadn’t heard Slash say bad things about Izzy before and was surprised by what he said in the article. Good to know that he’s mended most, if not all of the fences of past relationships.

He had said quite a bit between 1992-94 too. That was after Izzy had quit and they were pissed.

But, apart from that, a lot comes down to that Slash didn't like sharing solos and lead parts with another guitarist, imo.

I wonder how Slash really feels now about sharing leads with fortus. it's just weird how it ended up. I think for slash playing with a rhythm guitar player where slash plays all the leads works best but I guess they made it work with richard. izzy's playing never got in the way and what he did play was perfect with slash's playing.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Rovim said:

I wonder how Slash really feels now about sharing leads with fortus. it's just weird how it ended up. I think for slash playing with a rhythm guitar player where slash plays all the leads works best but I guess they made it work with richard. izzy's playing never got in the way and what he did play was perfect with slash's playing.

He's not exactly sharing leads with Fortus, apart from a couple of solos, Slash still playes most of the leads.

On 7/22/2018 at 7:20 PM, shotsfired cro said:

I can't stop but LMAOA!

Jesus....

I can't stop but LMAOA!

Jesus....

U mad bro???