Their peers

4 minutes ago, mystery said:

I just don't see Kurt Cobain maintaining his voice which always sounded a bit rough live. He blew it out during that European tour in 1994 and it was absolutely shot at the last Nirvana show they ever did.

Yes, on purpose. He wanted to get out of the tour but it was going to bankrupt them if they pulled out for no valid reason, so he had to get creative and blew out his voice. It's all been documented. 

6 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Yes, on purpose. He wanted to get out of the tour but it was going to bankrupt them if they pulled out for no valid reason, so he had to get creative and blew out his voice. It's all been documented. 

Yeah but you don't do that without putting damage on your voice. It's not like that wouldn't have any repercussions down the line had he lived.

It's all speculation but I think it would have been hard for him to maintain that harsh rasp in his voice much like Axl gets criticized for today. He had a decent non-raspy singing voice which is showcased on Unplugged that I think he could've relied more on as he got older.

19 minutes ago, mystery said:

That's true but I don't think it was as easy to tell as a casual follower. It's easy to access Dead Flowers and Anxious Disease today online but most people wouldn't have heard Axl again until 2002 or Live Era if they could spot the re-recorded stuff.

I just don't see Kurt Cobain maintaining his voice which always sounded a bit rough live. He blew it out during that European tour in 1994 and it was absolutely shot at the last Nirvana show they ever did.

Said before that Nirvana benefits massively from the success of Nevermind and Kurt dying at 27 and staying that way in people's minds. They also have a cool logo that lots of younger people wear similar to Guns. I say this as someone who likes Nirvana.

Yea, who knows what would've happened to Kurt. Probably something similar to Axl or James Hetfield where they have years that are good and years that are bad. Kurt would've been forced to adapt his voice over time, just like all his peers.

Your last paragraph is spot on, they 100% benefited from being "frozen in time".

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mystery said:

Yeah but you don't do that without putting damage on your voice. It's not like that wouldn't have any repercussions down the line had he lived.

It's all speculation but I think it would have been hard for him to maintain that harsh rasp in his voice much like Axl gets criticized for today. He had a decent non-raspy singing voice which is showcased on Unplugged that I think he could've relied more on as he got older.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's impossible to tell from a 27 year old guy whether his voice will hold up once he gets older or not. One of my favourite singers always had a quite fragile voice and he always sounds like he's about to lose it, but he's in his late 50's now and he sounds the same as he did when he was 25 and he never seems to lose his voice. I guess he's just lucky. It's impossible to know how Kurt's voice would have aged, and the fact he intentionally blew out his voice during the last tour of his life, is hardly an indication of how his voice would have sounded at age 50. Maybe he would have sounded like crap, maybe he would have sounded great. Sadly we will never know.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1