Their peers

1 hour ago, GNRfanx6 said:

I mean at the time their peers were every other band on the strip. Now they have solidified themselves as legends. Now their peers are Queen, Aeromsith, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and so on.

Unfortunately I think while GNR could have been on that tier possibly and potentially, they cannot compete with any of those bands in terms of the same league of legendary.  GNR are a huge band still, but compared to Sabbath, Queen, and Zeppelin they are akin to a small theatre band IMO

Especially Zeppelin, don't get me wrong I love GNR to death but Led Zeppelin is just on another level of legendary completely and I think Axl and Slash themselves would admit such

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Unfortunately I think while GNR could have been on that tier possibly and potentially, they cannot compete with any of those bands in terms of the same league of legendary.  GNR are a huge band still, but compared to Sabbath, Queen, and Zeppelin they are akin to a small theatre band IMO

Especially Zeppelin, don't get me wrong I love GNR to death but Led Zeppelin is just on another level of legendary completely and I think Axl and Slash themselves would admit such

No artist is gunna say they are better then the bands they are influenced by and look up to. Without those bands there would be no GNR. They are a legendary rock band no question. 

5 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Man, as time goes on, GNR get more and more grouped in with the legit legends like those mentioned. It’s just how history works with us. Their songs are played on classic rock radio close enough to all the other legends. That’s really most of what matters to the general public lol. Dude you realize the general public probably think Motley and GNR and Bon Jovi are all on the same level 😂😂 we’re certainly in the minority as rock n roll fans nowadays. 

• Like 1

And this question is quite silly and more rhetorical and separate conversation starting. Peers change all throughout life. Currently, it’s the legends. Most of the 80s it was the sunset strip bands mostly. Late 80s/early 90s was just any other rock band that was popular at that time, grunge included. When they broke up, they became more and more a legend as each decade passed. 

• Like 1

Metallica

Same era, with about the same stature when it’s all said done IMHO.

Metallica for the “win” in terms of consistency- and arguably overall (different thread)- but they never had the world in the palms of their hands from a “crossover” POV to the same degree as Guns did 91-93 (+ throw in the success of NITL)- so it ends up being pretty close IMHO.

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

3 hours ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Metallica

Same era, with about the same stature when it’s all said done IMHO.

Metallica for the “win” in terms of consistency- and arguably overall (different thread)- but they never had the world in the palms of their hands from a “crossover” POV to the same degree as Guns did 91-93 (+ throw in the success of NITL)- so it ends up being pretty close IMHO.

Yeah, I could agree with this. I think one could also put them in the same grouping as U2 & The Red Hot Chili Peppers. But at the end of the day, via my biased opinion, Gn'R has quite a few huge hits: WTTJ, SCOM, PC, Patience, NR, KOHD, LALD, DC, YCBM, as well as some deeper cuts that get plenty of air play like Estranged, UTLH, YC, Nightrain, Mr. B, CW, among others, etc... While I'm also a fan of Metallica, I can't think of 8 or more mega, mega hits from them. 

I would say GN'R is kind of in between legendary status of Zeppelin, The Stones, AC/DC, and their more contemporary popular rock stars.

• Like 4

It's worth looking at spotify streams to see who GNR's contemporary peers are.

GNR have about 20m streams a months.

They have twice as many streams as Pearl Jam and Black Sabbath; 4 times as many streams as Motley Crue; and 25% more streams than Led Zepplin and Aerosmith.

They have about the same amount of streams per month as The Rolling Stones, Bon Jovi and Nirvana.

So in terms of contemporary relevance, they are as relevant as the Rolling Stones and a good bit more relevant than Led Zepplin. And this is based

on having far less content.

Given that the other bands have far more content, you'd think that they'd have greater opportunities to have more streams. This would suggest to me

that bands like Led Zepplin are being slowly forgotten over time (or at least, a good portion of their catalogue is being forgotten) whereas GNR is performing pretty well.

Edited by axl666
  • Like 4

My opinion is that GNR is now considered one of the legendary bands. If you look at the bands that came out in the 80s and 90s, I would say that GNR and Metallica are the leaders in the legendary status from that era. Both bands can be compared to Zeppelin, Queen, Aerosmith, etc. I do think that  both bands cannot be compared to The Rolling Stones nor Beatles, though.  Although I only like a few songs from the Beatles, they had an overall influence on everything. I give them respect for that. The Rolling Stones are The Rolling Stones. I think they are better than the Beatles. 

Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Alice In Chains   are considered on a lower tier.  

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

I think it depends on the age of the person.  Somebody who is 50 and up probably doesn't consider GnR in the same class with Aerosmith and Zeppelin.  Somebody who is 30/40 probably still considers them one rung down, still one of the biggest rock groups of all time but just not on the level of the original greats but up gives them more respect as someone a little older.  Somebody in their 20s probably views GnR in the same class.

2 hours ago, axlvai said:

They could be the top five ifffff they continued making music post 1994 95 96 97 98 together.

Axl: Industrial Rock:bitchfight:Slash: Hard Rock

But that's the thing. Axl wanted more than just a Rock Band. Back in 80s the peers were no other than all Bands on Sunset Strip: Hanoi Rocks, Poison, Motley Crue.... In the 90s: Aerosmith, Metallica, U2....

Now, they are Legacy . No need to prove it anymore like: KISS, AC/DC, Rolling Stones. The next Level is Legends like Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Queen, The Beatles...

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, axlvai said:

They could be the top five ifffff they continued making music post 1994 95 96 97 98 together.

I think being inactive all those years kind of helps them since the last memory a lot of the general public had of the band was the UYI era which was successful. It really allowed them to gain a mystique after a while, especially Axl who seemed frozen as a nostalgic figure from the early 90's until he reappeared in 2001. It made the band more legendary than if they had stayed in the public eye and continued to tour and make music.

• Like 1

It's only metallica, and as stated before altho there're some thing metallica accomplished, they still cant touch GNR apart from commercial success, which is arguable due to GNR's inactivity and years of shitty/non existing management :D 

Beatles, Led Zep, Stones,Sabbath, Queen...used the being first come first served very effectively, but I would take GNR over them any day despite the fact that I love them very much too. Main problem with GNR is wasting so much talent and precious time, and creating very little input. But that input is so intense and diversified. 

• Like 3

I'd say Metallica 100%. The Black Album is one of the best selling albums of all time in the US and Metallica has a global audience. They're pretty much the definition of heavy metal for most people and their logo and artwork is iconic and pushes tons of merch.

Red Hot Chili Peppers are also another one in regards to direct peers that have consistently stayed successful and have huge brand recognition like Guns and Metallica.

• Like 1

I’d put AC/DC in the same category as Queen, Zeppelin, Floyd, Beatles, Stones. Absolute legends. GNR is probably in a category with Metallica, U2 and (to a lesser extent) Pearl Jam apart from the fact that all of these bands release albums sometimes.

On 12/26/2021 at 4:10 AM, Draguns said:

Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Pearl Jam, Nirvana and Alice In Chains   are considered on a lower tier.  

Bon Jovi definitely not. They've been selling out stadiums since the 80's and are doing so till this day. They are one of the few bands from that 80's ''hair metal'' era that continued having commercial success after the 80's.

• Like 2