Should Axl really have become Manager/Owner of Guns N'Roses? :/

On 8/17/2022 at 2:44 AM, allwaystired said:

Perish the thought someone tries to have a debate about a band on a band forum hey?! 

With the sheer absence of anything much to talk about, I'm glad people are still starting topics about stuff. 

On the topic ...I think Axl taking over was pretty much the only thing to do at the time, and probably a good move. The others were totally fucked up. 

Having said that, if he hadn't taken over I don't think we would be at this total impasse when it comes to releasing anything whatsoever, old or new. If it was a 'band' in the more traditional sense there's no way releases wouldn't be happening. 

The others weren't fucked up. Slash, Duff and Gilby all released a string of albums each. Matt picked up work too. Since they all either left/got fired Axl only finished up releasing one album.

Well, as long as we’re playing the what shoulda been game: what Axl should have done is ask around and keep searching for a proper manager – he surely has tons of friends in music and the industry in general. I don’t believe he wouldn’t have found anyone who’d recommend him a reliable and willing manager, had he persisted. 
Instead of that, he got burned, jaded (understandably), and decided to basically do it on his own and just delegate TB to do the mundane business, which in combination with his reluctance towards public communication resulted in what we have now: a travesty of band–fans communication (and probably zero pressure on him from the so-called management team). 
Sure, ultimately things are solely up to him anyway, but the situation could have been so much better, even if we’re talking about just releasing old concert videos. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2022 at 5:36 AM, Gunner Gilby said:

The others weren't fucked up. Slash, Duff and Gilby all released a string of albums each. Matt picked up work too. Since they all either left/got fired Axl only finished up releasing one album.

Haha, I presume this is a joke?! 

The suggestion that Duff and Slash weren't fucked up in the later stages of GNR is utterly ludicrous. There's obviously plenty of information about all that stuff out there, including their own books, so it's not worth even debating here. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Haha, I presume this is a joke?! 

The suggestion that Duff and Slash weren't fucked up in the later stages of GNR is utterly ludicrous. There's obviously plenty of information about all that stuff out there, including their own books, so it's not worth even debating here. 

Sure Slash, Duff and Matt were fucked up from the point of view of alcohol/drug problems. What I meant was they were still able to release music and quite a bit of it. Axl by comparison was clean but whatever the reasons only managed to get out one album. That was meant to be my point.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Sure Slash, Duff and Matt were fucked up from the point of view of alcohol/drug problems. What I meant was they were still able to release music and quite a bit of it. Axl by comparison was clean but whatever the reasons only managed to get out one album. That was meant to be my point.

Ah right, got you. 

I don't imagine any of them were making great business decisions.....and I suppose they were wide open to being exploited too. 

When it comes to releasing music though (and I would include any fucked up musician in the history of music here) they could still deliver yeah! Axl is pretty unique in his refusal to ever release anything, ever! 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Ah right, got you. 

I don't imagine any of them were making great business decisions.....and I suppose they were wide open to being exploited too. 

When it comes to releasing music though (and I would include any fucked up musician in the history of music here) they could still deliver yeah! Axl is pretty unique in his refusal to ever release anything, ever! 

I never bought the excuse that he couldn't write with Gilby. Gilby had an album and EP pre joining Guns with Kill For Thrills. Certainly since leaving Guns Gilby's released a string of solid solo and collaborative albums, produced others albums and toured with the likes of Heart and others.

Axl didn't like Gilby telling him that three guitarists and going industrial were stupid ideas.

14 minutes ago, Gunner Gilby said:

I never bought the excuse that he couldn't write with Gilby. Gilby had an album and EP pre joining Guns with Kill For Thrills. Certainly since leaving Guns Gilby's released a string of solid solo and collaborative albums, produced others albums and toured with the likes of Heart and others.

Axl didn't like Gilby telling him that three guitarists and going industrial were stupid ideas.

I'm not sure I've ever bought an excuse that has been offered by GNR for not releasing anything! 

Personally I really liked the idea of pushing towards a more industrial sound as it represented a move away into new territory.....but the agonised slog towards Chinese just killed any momentum. 

On 8/21/2022 at 6:14 AM, Gunner Gilby said:

But.... Duff, Slash, and Izzy all played Guitar when Guns N'Roses was all original or mostly original and they sounded good. 😀