Should Axl really have become Manager/Owner of Guns N'Roses? :/

I think that Axl taking over Guns N' Roses was a conflict of interest. He was too close to The Band and too emotionally involved to become Manager/Owner of it. The Owner/Manager of Guns Roses should have been objective, not subjective. Besides, Axl was a mess when he decided to take over Guns N'Roses. He claimed the Band was a wreck. He was a wreck himself in control of a wreck. Bad combination. Remember at this time, Axl was very mentally unstable. And had a lot of anger management problems . He should have given control of Guns N'Roses to a stable, professional, and objective Manager, say let David Geffen be the Manager/Owner of Guns N'Roses He should have been focused on singing and performing, what he truly was, and is, as Frontman and Co-founder of Guns N'Roses. not also Manager/ Owner. Just because someone is the Co-founder of a band and the Frontman and Main Focus of Band doesn't mean they'd make a great Owner/Manager/...🤔

18 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I honestly prefer these topics (and the survivor games) to ones that go, "where is the new music, Axl's voice is bad, the setlist is stale".

Anyway, I don't know who should have managed them, but Fernando once lied to me outside of the Brooklyn Bowl, so I hate him.

What did he say? New album in 6 months? 

50 minutes ago, Tomek1985 said:

Another one? Feeling like visiting a Justin Bieber's forum or other Harry Styles'. What's next? Oh, maybe "Why Slash left in 1996?".

Geez, we've been there already like a 1000 times. 

Troll 1000% :)

Gatekeeping sucks.  Calm down.

Axl being his own manager would have some positives and negatives, but mostly negatives; he's always been the type to need direction both professionally and personally, and would likely need at least one co-manager to help him, putting us in the same situation we're already at.  However if Axl split ownership of GNR with Slash and Duff, we'd end up with a situation where there'll be at least two bands claiming to be GNR when they inevitably split again.  It's a sticky situation.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tomek1985 said:

Both not so great tbh 

Yeah. But at least this is somewhat understandable. The other, not so much. Best avoid these threads.

1 minute ago, Sosso said:

Axl never hold the position of the manager and I don't think he ever will. 

I think ever since he doesn't have a manager anymore he pretty much is his own manager, with TB executing what he wants/doing the mundane things he doesn't want to do.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

I think ever since he doesn't have a manager anymore he pretty much is his own manager, with TB executing what he wants/doing the mundane things he doesn't want to do.

People like to think that Axl likes to have everything under his control but I don't think that is the case. He is more like someone who gives away the responsibilities to others. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Tomek1985 said:

Another one? Feeling like visiting a Justin Bieber's forum or other Harry Styles'. What's next? Oh, maybe "Why Slash left in 1996?".

Geez, we've been there already like a 1000 times. 

Troll 1000% :)

Perish the thought someone tries to have a debate about a band on a band forum hey?! 

With the sheer absence of anything much to talk about, I'm glad people are still starting topics about stuff. 

On the topic ...I think Axl taking over was pretty much the only thing to do at the time, and probably a good move. The others were totally fucked up. 

Having said that, if he hadn't taken over I don't think we would be at this total impasse when it comes to releasing anything whatsoever, old or new. If it was a 'band' in the more traditional sense there's no way releases wouldn't be happening. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sosso said:

People like to think that Axl likes to have everything under his control but I don't think that is the case. He is more like someone who gives away the responsibilities to others. 

So he let's others tell him what to do?? I don't think so.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tomek1985 said:

Im calm. Nothing not to be calm here man. Funny kid, nothing more. And dont tell me what to do, read her post and been on the other forum with her. You'll see what I mean really soon. Cheers:)

The other Forum is now defunct.....

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

What did he say? New album in 6 months? 

I thought he was just an official dude who worked at the venue, so I asked him where Axl was being dropped off, he told me "across the street" which was obviously a lie. I also asked him if there were extra tickets at the box office and he lied and said there were and he'd be right back (that was also a lie). Kind of funny, but a bad move to alienate fans seeing New GNR at a small venue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

So he let's others tell him what to do?? I don't think so.

Do you really think that he is still the same control freak as in the 90s? Those times are long gone.

Axl owns the name and makes a shitload of money with touring. 

Edited by Sosso

2 hours ago, Sosso said:

Do you really think that he is still the same control freak as in the 90s? Those times are long gone.

Axl owns the name and makes a shitload of money with touring. 

Definitely in the sense that he calls the shot and doesn't let others tell him what to do, hence why he has no formal manager anymore.

12 hours ago, Karice said:

I think that Axl taking over Guns N' Roses was a conflict of interest. He was too close to The Band and too emotionally involved to become Manager/Owner of it. The Owner/Manager of Guns Roses should have been objective, not subjective. Besides, Axl was a mess when he decided to take over Guns N'Roses. He claimed the Band was a wreck. He was a wreck himself in control of a wreck. Bad combination. Remember at this time, Axl was very mentally unstable. And had a lot of anger management problems . He should have given control of Guns N'Roses to a stable, professional, and objective Manager, say let David Geffen be the Manager/Owner of Guns N'Roses He should have been focused on singing and performing, what he truly was, and is, as Frontman and Co-founder of Guns N'Roses. not also Manager/ Owner. Just because someone is the Co-founder of a band and the Frontman and Main Focus of Band doesn't mean they'd make a great Owner/Manager/...🤔

It’s not really a football team, band management is a different type of management I guess, the lines are blurred more.

Others can verify but I believe the contract Guns signed with Geffen gave them creative control and the final say on most things from material, album covers, singles etc. It was the band’s decision to tour say, not the record companies. So with that type of situation as a manager you have no real say, other than what the band says. So in some shape or form Axl has managed himself for the last 35 years. 

12 hours ago, Karice said:

He should have given control of Guns N'Roses to a stable, professional, and objective Manager, say let David Geffen be the Manager/Owner of Guns N'Roses

Sign ownership to David Geffen??? There’s hypotheticals and there’s insanity. 

I think all a “real” manager or management team like QPrime could have done was build the brand more, I don’t think they could have gotten Axl to tour in the wilderness years, I don’t think they could have gotten more material out of him, I don’t know if they could have gotten a reunion quicker. I think only the GnR Brand could have been better served with better management. 

Edited by Powderfinger

I recently read somewhere that Axl bought the Guns N'Roses name because there were rumors that certain Band Members were possibly being groomed into planning to kick out Axl from Guns N'Roses, so he bought the name to prevent him from being kicked out of the band he cofounded. Smart move if this is true. 😉😏😀