Confirmation from Simpsons writer that Duff Beer is not based on Duff McKagan

5 hours ago, Sausagebrain said:

As Duff himself has admitted, his memory of those years is very patchy. Because he was drunk or high nearly all of the time. 

What could have happened is that The Simpsons' writers came up with the name Duff without initially thinking about Mr McKagan. But perhaps later on they thought they'd better reach out to him to check that he was ok with their fictional beer being the same as his fictional name.

Or maybe their lawyers suggested they should do that?

I don't mean to be a jerk, but this is such an absurd idea. I always assumed it was named Duff beer because duff is slang for butt, and in the context of the show, the storylines and gags with the beer and alcoholics in the show are typically portrayed as fat lazy slobs. 

Had Duff not been a word prior to GNR, I would understand people making this connection. People are acting like he made up the word and people weren't commonly aware of it being slang already prior to GNR.

The beer being named after Duff doesn't make any sense in the context of the show. I can't imagine how anybody even got the idea. I'd guess that maybe Duff just heard it somewhere and assumed it was true. 

There is no reasonable connection. I get it was a different time, where members of bands were much more visible as pop culture figures, but it isn't even like your average person knew who Duff McKagan was. Axl or Slash, sure. 

Edited by gunsnchalupas
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

This is nearly as absurd as arguing that the mechanical part was named after Axl Rose, and it must be true because Axl spins around a lot on stage.

Not really a decent comparison. The mechanical part called an axle was created way before William chose the name Axl. 😀 The Simpsons was created 2 years after Guns N'Roses officially debuted. 😉

59 minutes ago, Karice said:

The Simpsons was created 2 years after Guns N'Roses officially debuted. 😉

Well.. the show itself first aired in Dec 1989, the first ever appearance of The Simpsons on tv was April 1987, three months before AFD was released. 

Relax.. what is mind? No matter, what is matter? Never mind.

Edited by D4NNY
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, gunsnchalupas said:

I don't mean to be a jerk, but this is such an absurd idea. I always assumed it was named Duff beer because duff is slang for butt, and in the context of the show, the storylines and gags with the beer and alcoholics in the show are typically portrayed as fat lazy slobs. 

Had Duff not been a word prior to GNR, I would understand people making this connection. People are acting like he made up the word and people weren't commonly aware of it being slang already prior to GNR.

The beer being named after Duff doesn't make any sense in the context of the show. I can't imagine how anybody even got the idea. I'd guess that maybe Duff just heard it somewhere and assumed it was true. 

There is no reasonable connection. I get it was a different time, where members of bands were much more visible as pop culture figures, but it isn't even like your average person knew who Duff McKagan was. Axl or Slash, sure. 

Like I said - yes it is probable that they came up with the idea of naming it Duff without thinking of Duff McKagan.

But maybe, at some point, they thought it would be wise to check with Duff himself that it was okay. Just in case Duff later got the wrong idea that it was named after him and decided to sue. 

On 11/17/2023 at 2:46 AM, gunsnchalupas said:

To be fair I’ve never heard the word “duff” used mean butt in my life until reading this thread, it must be any US thing as in the UK that word usually means either useless or “up the duff” means pregnant. Both GNR and the Simpsons are as popular outside the US as they are in the US so to the vast majority of people “duff beer” is just a nonsense name which could have come from anywhere.