Confirmation from Simpsons writer that Duff Beer is not based on Duff McKagan

17 minutes ago, Whiskey Rose said:

Haha, never thought I’d see the day when @SoulMonster is the conspiracy theorist! :D

The actual writer explained that the name came from the ‘get off yer duff and do something productive’ type of expression, but apparently the validity of that is still up for debate. Lol! 

Very cool that he responded to you @Billy Cundy

I believe. I believe!  :lol:

Thanks! But, it’s not up for debate, that’s literally what he said. If people want to cast doubt on that and argue he is potentially ‘lying’, that’s their insane prerogative.

No one can prove anything. Just like no one can prove that the ducks at the park are talking about me behind my back. 

I hear their quacks… the sideways looks.  Tell me they’re not discussing my finances. You can’t!

1 minute ago, SoulMonster said:

Yes, but again considering that this happened before or while they wrote the first season, when they were likely brainstorming ideas and testing out concepts, it becomes less unlikely that they considered making a character based on Duff, resulting in someone in the team reaching out to him, before eventually going in a different direction and just keeping the name. 

I honestly believe that is the most mental and unlikely theory I have ever heard about anything ever. Sorry, the fact you’re even entertaining the thought of that scenario actually happening makes me really sad. 

You say you’re leaning on the simpsons writer side and then you come out with something like that? I’m sorry mate, you’ve totally lost me now, done and done for me. Close the thread I wanna get off. 

3 hours ago, Billy Cundy said:

@SoulMonster is saying it can not truly be proved 100% that duff beer wasn’t based on duff, or rather it can’t be 100% proved duff wasn’t contacted; though he does concede it’s likely the case the Simpsons staff aren’t the ones who are mistaken.

@Billy Cundy I’m arguing that confirmation from the writer who conceived the name duff should be enough to close the book on the urban myth. 

@Oldest Goat just has beef from prior run ins with SoulMonster. But he does agree this case is closed and Duff McKagan is nothing to do with Duff Beer

Yes we fucking are, it was Jay Kogen; there’s photo evidence. It’s literally unequivocal, unless you are currently absolutely flying high on crack.

Many thanks!

(So, same as before? 😂)

Hyde Park's coming fast, looking forward to being there! 🙌🤣

Just now, Billy Cundy said:

I honestly believe that is the most mental and unlikely theory I have ever heard about anything ever. Sorry, the fact you’re even entertaining the thought of that scenario actually happening makes me really sad. 

You say you’re leaning on the simpsons writer side and then you come out with something like that? I’m sorry mate, you’ve totally lost me now, done and done for me. Close the thread I wanna get off. 

I am definitely leaning towards the Simpsons guys side, yes. And the fact that I am not entirely ruling out the possibility that Duff could be right is exactly this, scenarios that aren't entirely impossible. Like what I described above, and one guy lying about this to avoid litigation and the rest of the cartoon guys trusting him. 

Let's flip things around here. You played around with the idea that I was inclined to trust Duff because I am a fan of his (haha), could it be possible that you fail to accept it is a possible, albeit unlikely, scenario where Duff is right but you refuse to accept this because of your devotion to the cartoon? Because I would argue I am the one here open to consider both possibilities and not flat out dismiss something that is not inconceivable, while you are the one who seems to both take a somewhat fanatical stand and also be weirdly emotionally invested in what the rest of us, I assume, considers pure trivia. 

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I am definitely leaning towards the Simpsons guys side, yes. And the fact that I am not entirely ruling out the possibility that Duff could be right is exactly this, scenarios that aren't entirely impossible. Like what I described above, and one guy lying about this to avoid litigation and the rest of the cartoon guys trusting him. 

Let's flip things around here. You played around with the idea that I was inclined to trust Duff because I am a fan of his (haha), could it be possible that you fail to accept it is a possible, albeit unlikely, scenario where Duff is right but you refuse to accept this because of your devotion to the cartoon? Because I would argue I am the one here open to consider both possibilities and not flat out dismiss something that is not inconceivable, while you are the one who seems to both take a somewhat fanatical stand and also be weirdly emotionally invested in what the rest of us, I assume, considers pure trivia. 

mate you run a guns n roses archive website, excuse me for assuming you're a bit of a fan? Emotional and fanatical stand? You’re off your head. I thought the story was bullshit, I got confirmation from the actual guy who created duff, end of. and then you began your  ‘epistemological’ theorising. You’re entitled to do so, and therefore, I’m entitled to call it absolute fucking tripe.
Sorry, fan or not, I trust the Harvard educated writers who wrote the thing, not your drug addled idols with half a high school diploma between them and enough rehab visits to claim a free coffee. Never mind that, step away from it and the very notion of it is moronic. I tried to keep things sensible and civil when Oldest Goat was calling you a desperate pedant but the fact the guy who runs ‘GNRsEveryMove.com’ is calling me ‘weirdly emotionally invested’ is a step too far for me. 

Fuck it, you’re right, theres every chance they were gonna call the beer ‘duff McKagan’s homebrew ale N’ roses’, but changed their mind because Kurt cobain visited matt Groening in a dream and told him glam rock would be cringe soon. I can’t prove it so that’s that, innit? Infinite monkeys in a room full of typewriters will eventually write the entire works of shakespeare, and infinite shakespeares in a room full of basses will eventually join GNR, then the simpsons will call the beer ‘Williams’. 

Who cares anymore.

close the thread 

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

No, it is not as close to prove as it can be. Far from it. 

And I don't agree with your 99.9% assessment. 

I'm honestly curious what more proof you would need? Outside of getting a time machine or hearing a recording of a phone call that may have never even happened, confirmation from that specific writer is the best we can get...

6 hours ago, Billy Cundy said:

mate you run a guns n roses archive website, excuse me for assuming you're a bit of a fan? Emotional and fanatical stand? You’re off your head. I thought the story was bullshit, I got confirmation from the actual guy who created duff, end of. and then you began your  ‘epistemological’ theorising. You’re entitled to do so, and therefore, I’m entitled to call it absolute fucking tripe.
Sorry, fan or not, I trust the Harvard educated writers who wrote the thing, not your drug addled idols with half a high school diploma between them and enough rehab visits to claim a free coffee. Never mind that, step away from it and the very notion of it is moronic. I tried to keep things sensible and civil when Oldest Goat was calling you a desperate pedant but the fact the guy who runs ‘GNRsEveryMove.com’ is calling me ‘weirdly emotionally invested’ is a step too far for me. 

Fuck it, you’re right, theres every chance they were gonna call the beer ‘duff McKagan’s homebrew ale N’ roses’, but changed their mind because Kurt cobain visited matt Groening in a dream and told him glam rock would be cringe soon. I can’t prove it so that’s that, innit? Infinite monkeys in a room full of typewriters will eventually write the entire works of shakespeare, and infinite shakespeares in a room full of basses will eventually join GNR, then the simpsons will call the beer ‘Williams’. 

Who cares anymore.

close the thread 

So much to unpack here, so little time. 

Of course you are excused for thinking I am a fan of Duff, no worries. On that note, I don't consider myself a fan of any band member of GN'R. Granted, I appreciate their musicianship but that's as far as it goes. I am a diehard fan of the music I like though, and incredibly fascinated by the history of the band. 

You seem to have missed my point. I also trust the Simpsons guys, but not to the extent that I doesn't allow for the possibility that they are wrong. 

It doesn't matter whether they are Harvard educated. That does not immunize you against being wrong. 

And the fact that they are the creators of the cartoon doesn't mean they can't possible have forgotten that someone reached out to Duff early in the days. As we discussed above, it's not like all of them needed to have been involved in reaching out to Duff (if that even happened) necesitating mass amnesia. 

Nor does the fact that they wrote the cartoon rip the carpet under the argument that they might have motivation to lie about it (to avoid any lawsuit, how silly that might be). And it is not like this would require all of them being in on the lie, either, some of them could simply not know what happened and speak out in good faith. 

Again, my point isn't that Duff is likely correct, I don't think he is, but that we can't rule it out entirely.

Because we are looking at only two possibilities: Duff is wrong in his weirdly specific memory about having talked to someone representing some cartoon writers, or the Simpsons guys are wrong about someone associated with them not having run this by Duff. In either case, we are looking at two possibilities that are both quitey unlikely (and generally speaking, conjuring up new vivid memories are more unlikely than simply forgetting something). So it is a matter of picking the possibility that sounds the least weird.

I happen to agree with you that it is most likely Duff that is wrong, except that you won't even be open for the possibility that he could be correct. I find that somewhat odd, but who cares. 

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'm honestly curious what more proof you would need? Outside of getting a time machine or hearing a recording of a phone call that may have never even happened, confirmation from that specific writer is the best we can get...

What it would take to untangle a case of "he said, they said"? Whatever it is we will likely never get it. The silver lining is that this means we can discuss this forever :lol:

1 hour ago, DK6 said:

In the end I guess we'll just never know will we @Billy Cundy.

Chalk it up as another one of life's great mysteries.....:bitchfight:

I do know, though. We all do. 

Hypotheticals aside, after examining the sources and weighing up the likelihood of accounts, coupled with the contextual aspects (and a sprinkle of basic logic and common sense), I am confident in my assessment of events and my conclusions. 

PS. @alfierose thanks for the Duff badge! This thread has given me diarrhoea ☺️

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thunderram said:

I'm pretty sure you haven't. You've just done a great job of convincing yourself, along with a few others.

I’ll argue with @SoulMonster because he’s got some sense, and an understanding of the situation. His (somewhat agonised) point is more about certainty than anything else. Disappointed he resorted to calling me ‘weirdly emotional’ because I was enjoying the back and forth, but oh well. 

I won’t argue with the rest of you absolute omelettes, you think what you like. 😂 means nothing to me. If you put 2 + 2 together and make 9, that’s a YOU problem. May I recommend QAnon though? I think it’d be right up your street. 

Edited by Billy Cundy

10 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

I won’t argue with the rest of you absolute omelettes, you think what you like. 😂 means nothing to me. If you put 2 + 2 together and make 9, that’s a YOU problem. May I recommend QAnon though? I think it’d be right up your street. 

no offense, and it's a genuine question: if it means nothing, then why do you seem to find it difficult to accept that not everyone agrees with your opinions? This is just a discussion on a fairly silly matter, yet people can't put two and two together cause they disagree with you?

high likelyhood is not the same as confirmation imo.