Confirmation from Simpsons writer that Duff Beer is not based on Duff McKagan

16 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

How the hell is it implausible though?Coke is a helluva drug. To quote Axl in the china exchange interview in reference to Slash’ autobiography… ‘dude, a lot of that stuff didn’t even happen’. Yes it’s in reference to Slash, but I have no doubt every autobiography is sprinkled with a generous serving of   ‘creative license’. 

There’s also something called alcoholic hallucinosis. But let’s not go there. All I’m saying, when duff told the story, it was a 23 year recollection of a chronic alcoholic and cocaine addict, from a time when they lived completely untethered from reality. If your drunk old uncle Reggie who’d been in and out of rehab since 80s due to chronic alcoholism said he invented the pogo stick, you’d ignore him. 

I also get the feeling a publicist involved in the book pushed duff to mention it as it’s a fun urban myth (maybe in an effort to convince everyone duff is as culturally relevant as slash & axl).  But that’s pure conjecture, maybe too cynical of me. 

fact is tho, writers have confirmed it’s bullshit, so the burden of proof is now on duff. 

The burden of proof was always on Duff, but most likely he has no proof so it becomes a case of he said-she said. I doubt we will get any close to finding out what actually happened. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

The burden of proof was always on Duff, but most likely he has no proof so it becomes a case of he said-she said. I doubt we will get any close to finding out what actually happened. 

I’d be interested to get his side or things, as I don’t think he ever responded to the initial statement from showrunner Mike Reiss in Time mag that it wasn’t true. Duff’s (seems to be) a pretty reasonable guy though, which is why this particular conspiracy is cognitively dissonant. If Steven Adler came out with this, it wouldn’t even be worth discussing. 

I will keep beating the dead horse though - as @janrichmondsaid, memories and anecdotes can warp over time, details become fuzzy and myths can be born. It’s not a conscious lie or falsehood, it’s just fallibility. Affects us all. But add powerful mind altering drugs like alcohol and cocaine, and skies the limit. 

Edited by Billy Cundy

4 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

I’d be interested to get his side or things, as I don’t think he ever responded to the initial statement from showrunner Mike Reiss in Time mag that it wasn’t true. Duff’s (seems to be) a pretty reasonable guy though, which is why this particular conspiracy is cognitively dissonant. If Steven Adler came out with this, it wouldn’t even be worth discussing. 

Duff responded to it back in 2014 or 2015: 

I don't think even Steven has a history of making it weirdly detailed memories about mundane things as this.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

I don't think even Steven has a history of making it weirdly detailed memories about mundane things as this.

Few points -

1. Matt Groening was technically never a Seattle ‘dude’. He grew up in Oregon, and studied in Washington, Olympia. I understand that’s pedantic as Olympia is pretty close to Seattle.

What is interesting is the interviewer is saying Matt himself is denying it. I haven’t seen any statements from Matt himself, I think he (the interviewer) has just seen the Mike Reiss (showrunner) statement and assumed it’s Matt G, but who knows. The writers are the authority on it, as Matt Groening was the creator but wasn’t AS involved in the actual writing of it as folk would imagine. 

2. what’s interesting is here duff actually says it was his ‘management company’ that got the call. Not him, personally. Is the person to ask Alan Niven? Anyway, adds another level of plausible deniability - it was just something he was ‘told’ happened.

3. He says he ‘doesn’t follow pop culture’ but seems to be confident the Ritz 88 show on MTV was a pop culture zeitgeist moment. It sure was amongst the rock sphere. The influence of duff on the beer has been debunked though, that’s for sure. We seem to now be in the realm of questioning if he received a phone call. Which as you mentioned is impossible to ascertain. 

Edited by Billy Cundy
  • Like 1

Duff would have had a VERY solid case if the Simpson name was Duff Mckagan, because that would be solid proof he was the basis for that . But not just plain Duff(Technically, a Duff is slang for Butt. It would be basically the same if a Celebrity named Nick Tucks sued the Tucks company (Hemorrhoid butt wipe company.)

Edited by Karice
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Billy Cundy said:

How the hell is it implausible though?Coke is a helluva drug. To quote Axl in the china exchange interview in reference to Slash’ autobiography… ‘dude, a lot of that stuff didn’t even happen’. Yes it’s in reference to Slash, but I have no doubt every autobiography is sprinkled with a generous serving of   ‘creative license’. 

There’s also something called alcoholic hallucinosis. But let’s not go there. All I’m saying, when duff told the story, it was a 23 year recollection of a chronic alcoholic and cocaine addict, from a time when they lived completely untethered from reality. If your drunk old uncle Reggie who’d been in and out of rehab since 80s due to chronic alcoholism said he invented the pogo stick, you’d ignore him. 

I also get the feeling a publicist involved in the book pushed duff to mention it as it’s a fun urban myth (maybe in an effort to convince everyone duff is as culturally relevant as slash & axl).  But that’s pure conjecture, maybe too cynical of me. 

fact is tho, writers have confirmed it’s bullshit, so the burden of proof is now on duff. 

When Axl said stuff in Slash’s book didn’t even happen, I expect he means rather that he remembers events differently. Ask any two people how something happened and they will likely give differing accounts. Especially if they were at odds.

But back to the Duff thing. I’m sure a lot of his memories aren’t completely accurate due to substances or just faded memory.

But how plausible is it that his recollection of being called up by an animator is completely false? Not likely, imo. There must be some basis of truth in it, even if details are different. So the question is, what did happen then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nice Boy said:

When Axl said stuff in Slash’s book didn’t even happen, I expect he means rather that he remembers events differently. Ask any two people how something happened and they will likely give differing accounts. Especially if they were at odds.

But back to the Duff thing. I’m sure a lot of his memories aren’t completely accurate due to substances or just faded memory.

But how plausible is it that his recollection of being called up by an animator is completely false? Not likely, imo. There must be some basis of truth in it, even if details are different. So the question is, what did happen then.

What’s interesting is we have verbal confirmation from duff in the video above that he was informed by his management company, he did not speak to any show staff himself. Which gives me more reason to doubt as even duffs version is based on second hand information. 

we know the writers didn’t intend to reference duff McKagan. That’s 100% confirmed. Same with Otto RE Slash. So yeah, I agree, now we gotta work out what Duff is basing it on. I am of the mindset, the lad was McFucked on chang and vodka - ever spoken to an addict? There are periods where they are unsure where they lived for months at a time. But ok, I accept your ‘no smoke without fire’ argument.

So….. who has Alan Niven’s email address? 😂 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Karice said:

Duff would have had a VERY solid case if the Simpson name was Duff Mckagan, because that would be solid proof he was the basis for that . But not just plain Duff(Technically, a Duff is slang for Butt. It would be basically the same if a Celebrity named Nick Tucks sued the Tucks company (Hemorrhoid butt wipe company.)

Thank you Karice, I agree, and ‘Tucks’ is a good example. Nouns are nouns are nouns! I’m from the UK so I hadn’t heard of ‘Duff’ as a slang for backside before, but we’ve heard it from the horses mouth now… 

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Karice said:

’Cant get enough of that ice cold Duff Mckagan’

I’d say that case would be rather airtight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

If the Simpson's dude is legit, looking at that video clip above I think it is plausible it isn't Duff lying but maybe misremembering the situation?  In the clip above he mentions getting a call, but could that call have simply been his management getting a heads up that this newer cartoon show started using the name Duff in its fictional branding and just wanted to casually mention it to him or something.  And then years later when he sees it being a huge thing, he remembered getting *a* call about it and assumed due to that, it was linked to his name in the first place?

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

If the Simpson's dude is legit, looking at that video clip above I think it is plausible it isn't Duff lying but maybe misremembering the situation?  In the clip above he mentions getting a call, but could that call have simply been his management getting a heads up that this newer cartoon show started using the name Duff in its fictional branding and just wanted to casually mention it to him or something.  And then years later when he sees it being a huge thing, he remembered getting *a* call about it and assumed due to that, it was linked to his name in the first place?

Probably exactly what happened in my opinion. Casual matter of fact comment snowballed into myth. 

On 4/17/2023 at 12:58 AM, SoulMonster said:

While we haven't yet solved the controversy surrounding  "DUFF BEER" -- and likely never will -- I think this video might close the case on the origins of the song "ABSUЯD". :shrugs:

Edited by thunderram
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Billy Cundy said:

I’m pretty sure I solved it actually. 

I am not convinced, although I lean towards trusting the cartoon guys. So I wouldn't say it has been solved in the sense that we can confidently rule out Duff telling the truth. It is word against word. 

Just now, SoulMonster said:

I am not convinced, although I lean towards trusting the cartoon guys. So I wouldn't say it has been solved in the sense that we can confidently rule out Duff telling the truth. It is word against word. 

‘the cartoon guys’, you mean the blokes who wrote and created the damn show. Exasperating, this is. 

2 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

This thread has been taken over, "conquered" if you will, by a master race of space ants. It's difficult to tell from this vantage point whether they will consume the captive Earth men or merely enslave them. One thing is for certain...there is no stopping them...the ants, will soon be here...

And I for one welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them as a trusted forum personality I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.

Don’t blame me, I voted for Kodos

23 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

‘the cartoon guys’, you mean the blokes who wrote and created the damn show. Exasperating, this is. 

Yeah, that's the guys. They say one thing, Duff says another thing. I don't think this will be solved, unless one of them admits to lie/misremember or some actual evidence emerges. 

10 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

"The cartoon guys" wrote and created the show. They know. Duff - an alcoholic drug addict who has literally nothing to do with the show - doesn't know. They're right and Duff's wrong. The end. Lmao

Don't you think both of them really should know whether they talked about this? I think the starting point is that both should know :D Then you can decide to dismiss Duff because he was an alcoholic back then, or decide to dismiss the cartoon guys because they they might have reasons for that. In either case, it comes down to who you believe. Personally, I lean towards trusting the cartoon guys, but this certainly isn't a clear cut case and I wouldn't bet my house on it.