any GNR songs with drop tuned gtrs?

7 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

What the hell I've never heard this before, do you remember what source this originates from? I got to say it doesn't sound like Speed Parade to me, I can't tell if it's legit or not.

I believe there is a version of it on a tape from around 89, It has to be a Slash penned tune as he used it later. Marc canter was the guy who mentioned it turned into speed parade, which surprised me as it doesn't sound like it to me either. I think there is another version floating around out there as well but that doesn't have vocals either, i assume it never got any.

13 hours ago, Rindmelon said:

I believe there is a version of it on a tape from around 89, It has to be a Slash penned tune as he used it later. Marc canter was the guy who mentioned it turned into speed parade, which surprised me as it doesn't sound like it to me either. I think there is another version floating around out there as well but that doesn't have vocals either, i assume it never got any.

Slash confirmed that it predates Appetite in its rawest form:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4765-2001-06-21-the-akron-beacon-journal-slash-and-chuck-go-one-on-one

Apparently it was on a pinball machine called Viper Night Drivin released in 1998:

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/viper-night-drivin

That must be where the other version comes from. I'd assume in much better quality?

3 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Slash confirmed that it predates Appetite in its rawest form:

https://www.a-4-d.com/t4765-2001-06-21-the-akron-beacon-journal-slash-and-chuck-go-one-on-one

Apparently it was on a pinball machine called Viper Night Drivin released in 1998:

https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/viper-night-drivin

That must be where the other version comes from. I'd assume in much better quality?

The Nightcrawler linked earlier in the thread sounds kinda like some parts in the soundtrack for that pinball machine as heard on the video below. There are definitely parts of Speed Parade in that soundtrack as well. It's hard to hear over the pinball noises to discern if that Nightcrawler demo is morphed into this, but the main riff and solo of Speed Parade are in there. 

P.S. That Nightcrawler demo is wild. The drum machine backing track gives it almost industrial vibes. Thank you for sharing, Rindmelon.

Edited by guitar1281
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

What's the story with these tracks? Where did "Closure" come from? Is that Axl?

Oh my did I share those? whoops I only meant to link Nightcrawler. Closure is Axl but it's a Rapidfire song not GN'R. Those songs were just fan mixes by me, some finished some half finished. The original version of Closure has a clean guitar sound, i just ran it through some amp mods to make it distorted.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, evilfacelessturtle said:

Found audio rips of the songs!

https://downloads.khinsider.com/game-soundtracks/album/viper-night-drivin-pinball

His timing is pretty off on some of them, especially track 9, lol. Things you can get away with as a rockstar.

Thanks for sharing.

Just speculating, but they probably recorded his riffs first and tried to fit the bass/drums under it in a grid leading to the off-timings from matching a drum machine to a human who may not have used a click track to record. 

On 1/16/2024 at 1:01 AM, jekylhyde said:

Slash used open C# on Beggars and Hangers-On, but if you don't count that as a dropped tuning, Slither is the first song where he used a dropped tuning. Also, Headspace and Superhuman from Contraband are in drop D.

As for Guns N' Roses songs, Chinese Democracy and Sorry are played in drop D. At least, I remember seeing a rig rundown video with Fortus, where he said they use drop D on Sorry. Better and Scraped are in drop C#. Shackler's Revenge is in drop B.

Scraped is actually Drop C (may be C standard). Shacklers (knowing Bucket) is likely B standard

Im sure Fortus may have played them in drop C and Drop B

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, guitar1281 said:

Thanks for sharing.

Just speculating, but they probably recorded his riffs first and tried to fit the bass/drums under it in a grid leading to the off-timings from matching a drum machine to a human who may not have used a click track to record. 

Slash's timing is off on Ain't Life Grand as well. He was not in a great place from 1998-2001 when he nearly died from cardiomyopathy.

Off the top of my head, Speed Parade and Life's Sweet Drug both have Slash falling out of time. Come to think of it, the same thing happens on Five O Clock Somewhere as well. Not quite as severe, though.

19 hours ago, Mendez said:

Scraped is actually Drop C (may be C standard). Shacklers (knowing Bucket) is likely B standard

Scraped is drop C# (half step down with drop D), as I played here:

Shacklers is Drop C as far as I remember:

Edited by Voodoochild

On 1/16/2024 at 8:05 AM, StrangerInThisTown said:

Drop tuned guitars were pretty rare for rock bands in the 80s, I can only think of a handful of examples of bands that even used them during the 80s era before grunge hit and made that popular. Beggars (already 1995) is the earliest one I can think of with Slash that had the strings tuned considerably lower, if you pay attention to it you hear how heavy the low string on Beggars actually is, even though it's not technically a drop tuning.

Eddie Van Halen, always ahead of his time like always, used Drop A tuning in 1986 (!) which for anyone familiar with guitar, is completely insane for that time, this low of a tuning only came popular starting in the early 2000s or maybe late 90s. It's what you hear all the metal bands use nowadays. No surprise Slash didn't start to mess with it until after grunge.

While not "drop D" tuning, for pretty most, if not all, all of GN'R's recordings through 1994, the guitars were tuned a half step down. So instead of the standard E-A-D-G-B-E they were all flats of the same tuning. Which means the low E was really a E flat or D sharp (however one wants to interpret it). Which also means the low E was only a half step above a D.

That's one reason why GN'R's early stuff sounds a tad differently. The half step down tuning changes the chords/keys, so to speak.

8 hours ago, thunderram said:

While not "drop D" tuning, for pretty most, if not all, all of GN'R's recordings through 1994, the guitars were tuned a half step down. So instead of the standard E-A-D-G-B-E they were all flats of the same tuning. Which means the low E was really a E flat or D sharp (however one wants to interpret it). Which also means the low E was only a half step above a D.

That's one reason why GN'R's early stuff sounds a tad differently. The half step down tuning changes the chords/keys, so to speak.

That’s a pretty usual tuning for bands even from the 70s (like Van Halen). It just makes everything sound like Slash played it a half step lower on the neck, like the root chord for 14 Years would be played on the 4th fret on the E string instead of the 5th, not really a big difference to sound, it’s so unnoticeable I don’t think anyone would even be able to tell if they don’t have perfect pitch. You can test this yourself and listen to a band you don’t know and try to see if you can tell it’s in standard or a flat key. 

If I remember correctly Slash started doing it because it’s easier on the vocals, not for any sound reasons.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown