"Better (Demo/Instrumental)" Discussion Thread

insomniac

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know. As I stated it was made on a Mac, probably using garageband. I am referring to the 14 second leak of the supposed song "Seven".

why are you saying that it could not be fake?

Never heard any version of "Better". How good is it?

It is pretty good. There is a general positive response for the song, not just on these boards, but in garrison.

Yes I know. As I stated it was made on a Mac, probably using garageband. I am referring to the 14 second leak of the supposed song "Seven".

I did not say that IT COULD NOT BE FAKE. It has a very good chance of being fake. But there is a chance of it being real. I analyzed the trac turning the music into a visual pattern or spectrum. It looks to me like a well made trac due to the many layers. The fakes all have one or two layers at the most. And they are streamed at a lower rate.

Never heard any version of "Better". How good is it?

It is pretty good. There is a general positive response for the song, not just on these boards, but in garrison.

I did not say that IT COULD NOT BE FAKE. It has a very good chance of being fake. But there is a chance of it being real. I analyzed the trac turning the music into a visual pattern or spectrum. It looks to me like a well made trac due to the many layers. The fakes all have one or two layers at the most. And they are streamed at a lower rate.

I will explain this: When someone makes a fake, they basically play the music and simply record (in one take and it being a live recording, and digitze it. That is ONE LAYER. A band like GNR will have many many layers. They are usually just the same vocal line pressed together played nanoseconds apart to make it sound more full. But the point is, you can see these layers. A fake would be like us getting together and recording whatever the recording device picks up, and then that is our fake. It is all one layer.

good point!

i understand it all

sorry about --> "why are you saying that it could not be fake?"

BUT MY ENGLISH SUCKS!!!!!

i was trying to ask why do you think there is a chance that it could be real, thanks for explaining! :)

• 2 weeks later...

When I first heard that this Paul Buckmaster guy did the orchestral arrangements for TWAT (along with some other tracks), I thought that this would surely sound killer once we got to hear this song, kinda like the violins on November Rain. But when I listen to the leaked instrumental of TWAT, I'm not so much impressed by the "violin section" in the song. Basically it sounds like some synth from a keyboard that Dizzy or Chris Pittman could add to the song when it is played live, but not like the input of an expert trying to imitate a real orchestra.

So - the question I'd liked to see discussed: Did we really hear Paul Buckmaster's input on the TWAT demo or is there something better to expect when that song is officially released?

Edited by final_touches

The thing is, we don't really know. Axl's voice sounds great but he has been working on this album since '96 and '97. My biggest concern is that his rough voice is gone and he will have to sing the rest of his career in his Patience voice.

Axl's voice sounds great and like the 1990's Axl in 'Better', but he could have also recorded it in the late 90's. By the time the 2002 tour hit, his voice was not that strong IMO in anything he performed live.

Performing live and recording are two different things though. He might be able to pull off recording it rough forever but not have the duration to sing that way live.... I don't think that the shape of his voice in Better can tell us when it was recorded.

Edited by mcalldp

I don't think Better was even mentioned up until January so..

I remember reading the articles from 2000 when all these songs were named,Better was not one of them,making me think it's a pretty recent recording. I'm thinking somewhere around 2002-2004.

Edit: Plus Buckethead is on the recording,and when did he join the band 2000?

Edited by F*ck Fear

I don't think Better was even mentioned up until January so..

I remember reading the articles from 2000 when all these songs were named,Better was not one of them,making me think it's a pretty recent recording. I'm thinking somewhere around 2002-2004.

Agreed. Definitely a post 02 tour song

It was recorded some time between 2000-2004. Reasoning is Buckethead plays on the tracks. He was only in the band from 2000 until 2004. I'm thinking it was recorded in 2003 or 2004 most likely. This is because CITR was recorded in 1999, so if he recorded it in 2000, his voice would absolutely not have changed.

1. You are comparing a studio demo to live performances. Axl had lots of bad nights in the 80s and 90s when he didn't sound good live, but everyone can sound good in the studio.

2. I saw them on tour in Vegas in 2000-2001 and his voice sounded great. I've heard that there were many shows where he sounded great, including Pittsburgh and Boston 02(ones that come up often in this type of discussion)

3. I'd never heard of Better as a song title until fairly recently (in GnR years) and Buckethead is definitely on this recording, which I think puts it at least in the 2000s, as back in the late 90s he wasn't in the band. I don't think this demo is from anything before 2002.

4. Part of why he didn't sound good live in some shows in 02 is that he was out of shape. He looks much less out of shape now. I don't think he will be losing his breath as often this time around.

4. Part of why he didn't sound good live in some shows in 02 is that he was out of shape. He looks much less out of shape now. I don't think he will be losing his breath as often this time around.

If the guy would relize he cant run around the stage to two hours straight he might not be outta breath so much.... lol

1. You are comparing a studio demo to live performances. Axl had lots of bad nights in the 80s and 90s when he didn't sound good live, but everyone can sound good in the studio.

Think Ashlee Simpson :rofl-lol:

:rofl-lol:

If the guy would relize he cant run around the stage to two hours straight he might not be outta breath so much.... lol

Think Ashlee Simpson :rofl-lol:

:rofl-lol:

I just did. Then I hit the mute button on my brain, and it wasn't that bad!! ;)

I never really think Axl sounded a very strong live singer. He had this whole daft croakey thing going on. Real Axl is ''Sweet Child O' Mine'' the rest is just kind of horrific screaming. He really isn't a fantastic singer but he compliments the music.

If you ask me towards the end of the 2002 tour when he was becoming more confident his voice began to sound great e.g. Boston - That was a great Guns N' Roses show. I think his voice sounds clean now and is ridded of any sore throats he may have had in the past... :laugh:

''Better'' was never mentioned until January of this year so I think it could be as recent as last year. Buckethead plays on it yes but we all know Axl had the band record parts here and there. So Axl could have taken Bucket's parts for a track he was planning to lay down and then Bucket left the band by the time he done it. ''Better'' is fuckin' quality - I'm listening now rock1

Guest RonMexico82
I never really think Axl sounded a very strong live singer. He had this whole daft croakey thing going on. Real Axl is ''Sweet Child O' Mine'' the rest is just kind of horrific screaming. He really isn't a fantastic singer but he compliments the music.

Oh Jesus when will this kind of nonsense end! :rolleyes: