I applaud Axl on his new musical direction

Kaneda

These new songs (exception: The Blues) simply don't match up in any way, shape, or form to the old Guns songs. Sure, I like Better, IRS, and TWAT to an extent, but they will never be remembered next to Sweet Child, November Rain, Jungle, Paradise City, Mr. Brownstone, etc.

20 years from now, the new songs won't be played on the radio. Jungle, Paradise, November Rain, and Sweet Child will.

I think a lot of people on this forum are just so excited to actually hear some new material that they are not truly listening to the songs, but rather just hearing them for their mythical status amongst the GNR fan base, and not judging them by the things they should be judged on: the music. These songs are being made out to be like the second coming of Christ, when they are really just mediocre creations that definately wouldn't have taken 10 years to make.

A good song does not take 10 years. Jungle was written in what? 5 minutes? And that song is truly a classic amongst all rock songs.

As far as the music goes, Slash is simply the better guitar player than Finck, Fortus, and Buckethead. They couldn't have created riffs that just ooze with feeling, not to mention rock like a son of a bitch.

I am eagerly anticipating CD as all of us are, but I see that this new stuff can't hold a candle to the old songs, at least what we have heard so far anyway.

As far as GNR being better than Zeppelin, Stones, etc, well I personally can't stand Zeppelin. Booooooooring.

Edited by SlashisGOD

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think also that fans evolve as well. When I first heard Better etc. I was shocked that I actually think they sound better than AFD or UYI. Whereas once I could never see how that could be done by Axl or VR. And I think VR failed actually. I liked there record but still thought GNR better. But with new material I think it's better than old GNR. At the time It's So Easy ruled. At the time Estranged ruled. But now, right now, I think TWAT is Better. The music is better. I don't think Axl has done much but just develop on from Illusions until he reached a point where it's better then Illusions.

And when it's all said and done, when all the material is out and you put all of W.Axl Roses material against any other performers; whether Rock, Rap, Classical, New Age, Pop...etc...there will be nobody that comes even close to his level of talent. Not the Stones, not The Doors, not Zepplin, not Bon Jovi, not Aerosmith ...

Agree with most of it, but my dedication to GNR is not anti other bands that are also timeless and awesome.

To say Axl is more talented than Robert Plant and Jimmy fucking Page makes you a moron.

I dunno...I'd say the guy who thinks two guys who write about Bilbo & Frodo Baggins is the moron.

Plant & Page couldn't write jack shit compared to GN'R...(when I say GN'R I'm referring to 87 to now)

I think also that fans evolve as well. When I first heard Better etc. I was shocked that I actually think they sound better than AFD or UYI. Whereas once I could never see how that could be done by Axl or VR. And I think VR failed actually. I liked there record but still thought GNR better. But with new material I think it's better than old GNR. At the time It's So Easy ruled. At the time Estranged ruled. But now, right now, I think TWAT is Better. The music is better. I don't think Axl has done much but just develop on from Illusions until he reached a point where it's better then Illusions.

Give me a break.

To say Axl is more talented than Robert Plant and Jimmy fucking Page makes you a moron.

How does that make him a moron? Just because those two are legends in rock history? oooh. He's such a moron now. Axl IS more talented than Jimmy and Robert because Axl has more meaning in his songs. "but Led Zep sung [insert Led Zep song here]" so fucking what. wow. they sung a song and it became popular. Whats so special about that? Axl acctually put meaning into his songs, and then it became popular from that. Led Zep does have good songs yea, dont get me wrong there, but what is the meaning of their songs? so sayin "Axl is more talented than Robert Plant and Jimmy Page makes you a moron" makes you a fucking retard.

SHIT HEAD

PAZ

How does that make him a moron? Just because those two are legends in rock history? oooh. He's such a moron now. Axl IS more talented than Jimmy and Robert because Axl has more meaning in his songs. "but Led Zep sung [insert Led Zep song here]" so fucking what. wow. they sung a song and it became popular. Whats so special about that? Axl acctually put meaning into his songs, and then it became popular from that. Led Zep does have good songs yea, dont get me wrong there, but what is the meaning of their songs? so sayin "Axl is more talented than Robert Plant and Jimmy Page makes you a moron" makes you a fucking retard.

SHIT HEAD

PAZ

let's ask people who listen to music in general, not just GNR fans who they'd rather listen to...

you were fine until the last paragraph. I doubt one release by Axl's band will haunt VR in any way. VR will keep on rocking, and does not live or die by what some other artist releases. You can't stop the Big Machine.

As for The Stones, Zeppelin, Aerosmith, etc not touching what Axl puts out.

You're right. They are too far above it.

Exactly. Now thats a great point.

Fuck you guys. They are too far above it? What the fuck is your retarded ass doing with 9000 posts at a board of a band you consider good- but not great?

They are too far above it? You little fucking tools are ridiculous.

Edited by AbomanibleHoman

SHIT HEAD

PAZ

Thank you Paz, Led Zep ... good songs, but way too many ppl suck their dick ...

Fuck you guys. They are too far above it? What the fuck is your retarded ass doing with 9000 posts at a board of a band you consider good- but not great?

They are too far above it? You little fucking tools are ridiculous.

whoa, little tantrum going on here.

pal, Gnr IS great. That's not in question, what's in question is how their legacy stacks up against the bands that Kaneda mentioned.

One more thing, why don't you try being MORE insulting next time you respond?

Edited by moreblack

You know the ironic thing? Guns actually could have been matched up against those bands kaneda listed without eliciting laughter had they stuck together till now. They were such a strong band everybody knew they were going to be one of the greats. Axl basically destroyed the whole legacy of this band for Chinese Democracy. For his sake I hope its all worth it because he pissed away the bands chance to be one of the all time greats.

As of right now there is no way any non-gnr fan would ever consider guns n roses to be up there with zeppelin and the stones. Fanboy opinion means little in the real world, an objective opinion is what ultimately counts. Guns don't stack up. Not enough material to stand a chance against those bands.

Bullshit Sly,

Original Guns have and always

will stack up to the Greats. And

the Greats all know it. That's the

beauty of it. You ask the Gods of

Rock N Roll who has kicked their

ass out of the wheel chair more

than any other band and they'll

all tell you it was Guns N Roses.

Why? Because they rocked. HARD

and HEAVY. rock3rock3rock3

jmo/HGZ

Edited by HOOSIER GUNZ

Original Guns have and always will stack up to the Greats.

Nope, you're wrong. Guns will never be held in the same esteem as bands like Led Zep and The Stones. Period.

Ozzy Osbourne said it best ...

"The tragedy of the last 20 years was Guns n' Roses ... they were well up there... then Axl read the tealeaves in his cup and went nuts or something."

The Stones are a pretty light weight propostion. They have a lot of good songs but sonically they can't compete with GNR. Zeppelin are the only untouchables. There stuff like Celebration Day and Immigrant Song seem to come from outer space. The Stones in my opinion are a weird group of cats.

It's not about who is better.

The only difference is, Zep were the pinoeers. Axl has the benefit of hindsight. He knows to avoid "baby baby" in every song and also has to try and be different so he isn't compared to such acts as Zep. Many critics have said that Axl was just another Jagger/Tyler rip off, doing the same thing they did 10-20 years before him.

One thing I've noticed is that during the UYI tour Axl acted A LOT like Bruce Dickinson on stage, and he didn't seem to act that way until the UYIs came out which followed them opening for Iron Maiden in 88. Every artist's wings are wet with influence. Axl even resembled Bruce's 'Number of the Beast' days, in hairstyle and clothing.

I love axl's lyrics, however I cringe sometimes listening to some of them in those leaks...the end of Better, even tho its my favorite of the bunch, sounds too much like preaching at the end..

IRS is just bad lyric writing in general.

Twat is fine, more Axl's UYI style.

I admire change as much as the next guy, hell my fav. band next to GNR is the Tea Party and their alma mater was to be evolve with every album...and they did what axl is doing now, 10 years ago. Thats why to me, Axl's new music is nowhere near groundbreaking...its been done already. His lyrics from the old days like Rocket Queen, Jungle, Its so Easy...is what gives me cold shivers...Also the fact that Don't Cry was written in 86...NO ONE was writing ANYTING CLOSE to that style in 86...THAT WAS GROUNDBREAKING...

Granted it's hard to be groundbreaking today because it's all been done, therefore...why not stick to what captured millions of ppl worldwide in the begininng..the style of Appetite...It was real, stripped down, honest.

To me, this new style sounds like Axl is still trying to learn how to play with a new toy. (Pro Tools and Fruity Loops)

Edited by zepsun

"The tragedy of the last 20 years was Guns n' Roses ... they were well up there... then Axl read the tealeaves in his cup and went nuts or something."

I don't even know what this means...

no offense to Ozzy, I love the guy

but after that tv show of his I'd have

to consider him a bit of a tragedy...

jmo/HGZ

It's true..the tragedy was GNR..When they disbanded in 96-97 it was the same for me as for a Nirvana fan when Kurt shot himself. The most important thing in music history in my lifetime was now no more. And what Ozzy says is based on fact. In past interviews it's been noted that Axl travelled with a psychic (who in 91-92 told him to stay away from cities beginning with the letter"M" (ahem ..Montreal) and apparently also led Axl to believe he was Napolean in a past life as well as someone who helped nail Jesus to the cross.

Ozzy is a man that deserves great respect, in his shape and age he still loves to get on stage and give fans all he has. You'd be hard pressed to find a dissappointed Ozzy fan.

SHIT HEAD

PAZ

What does that even mean? He put more "meaning" in his songs? HUH? How do you even measure that? Seriously, that's such a dumb statement.

You know the ironic thing? Guns actually could have been matched up against those bands kaneda listed without eliciting laughter had they stuck together till now. They were such a strong band everybody knew they were going to be one of the greats. Axl basically destroyed the whole legacy of this band for Chinese Democracy. For his sake I hope its all worth it because he pissed away the bands chance to be one of the all time greats.

As of right now there is no way any non-gnr fan would ever consider guns n roses to be up there with zeppelin and the stones. Fanboy opinion means little in the real world, an objective opinion is what ultimately counts. Guns don't stack up. Not enough material to stand a chance against those bands.

Quantity doesn't equal greatness. I mean, Sly's made a lot of movies, but he is not a great actor. He has just kept plugging away where a great actor like Gary Oldman has had few starring roles, but is a much better actor than Stallone.

GnR did for 5 years on the music scene what no one has ever seen, and the mere spectre of their return has the rock world buzzing. Don't be a musical snob just because you think that Zep's better.