I applaud Axl on his new musical direction

Kaneda

No one knows what the legacy of Guns n Roses is going to be. Who knows? Supposedly the new Guns have recorded 3 albums worth of music. Unless there's a bunch of fortune tellers out there, we DONT KNOW how everything will stand the test of time...but i'll tell you what, Axl and co. do have the talent to end up with legendary status.

By the way, Welcome To The Jungle Izzybrownstone!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These new songs (exception: The Blues) simply don't match up in any way, shape, or form to the old Guns songs. Sure, I like Better, IRS, and TWAT to an extent, but they will never be remembered next to Sweet Child, November Rain, Jungle, Paradise City, Mr. Brownstone, etc.

I hardly think you can make a statement like that, because this isnt the old band, and Axl clearly wasnt lookin to recreate AFD 2, if that ws the case then the band would be still together probably doing shit like Quiet Riot, Skid Row, nad others from that time, PLAYING Clubs. IMO!

NO, this we have no idea about. And the songs we have heard are definitly better than whats out there, and who are you to say they wont be remembered, you may be one of those Axl talks about, may become disinterseted in what happens, but seems many new fans are digging this, And they are the ones that will keep the legacy alive, and my firend sorry, but there may come a time where in 5-10 yrs, that old GNR are only played on classic rock(along with the new incarnation), and the new band will be played on new rock.

I respect your opinion, but I dont think you really thought it out, when all we(the fans) are listeningto demos . These arent finished products. Keep that in mind.

These new songs (exception: The Blues) simply don't match up in any way, shape, or form to the old Guns songs. Sure, I like Better, IRS, and TWAT to an extent, but they will never be remembered next to Sweet Child, November Rain, Jungle, Paradise City, Mr. Brownstone, etc.

20 years from now, the new songs won't be played on the radio. Jungle, Paradise, November Rain, and Sweet Child will.

I think a lot of people on this forum are just so excited to actually hear some new material that they are not truly listening to the songs, but rather just hearing them for their mythical status amongst the GNR fan base, and not judging them by the things they should be judged on: the music. These songs are being made out to be like the second coming of Christ, when they are really just mediocre creations that definately wouldn't have taken 10 years to make.

this man speaks the truth, to all those opposed.... :fuckyou:

20 years from now, the new songs won't be played on the radio. Jungle, Paradise, November Rain, and Sweet Child will.

I think a lot of people on this forum are just so excited to actually hear some new material that they are not truly listening to the songs, but rather just hearing them for their mythical status amongst the GNR fan base, and not judging them by the things they should be judged on: the music. These songs are being made out to be like the second coming of Christ, when they are really just mediocre creations that definately wouldn't have taken 10 years to make.

Great post. Agree 100%.

Grimo.

You say in the thread title you applaud Axl for his new direction 'after hours of listening to the new material.' Then a few posts later you ask for the full version of Better?? Considering we had already heard IRS, that leaves a song and a clip?.......... :question:

None the less, I agree with what you're saying dude

LA

One thing I've noticed is that during the UYI tour Axl acted A LOT like Bruce Dickinson on stage, and he didn't seem to act that way until the UYIs came out which followed them opening for Iron Maiden in 88. Every artist's wings are wet with influence. Axl even resembled Bruce's 'Number of the Beast' days, in hairstyle and clothing.

Thats true. Axl was never as good as Bruce though.

One thing I've noticed is that during the UYI tour Axl acted A LOT like Bruce Dickinson on stage, and he didn't seem to act that way until the UYIs came out which followed them opening for Iron Maiden in 88. Every artist's wings are wet with influence. Axl even resembled Bruce's 'Number of the Beast' days, in hairstyle and clothing.

And if I am not mistaken I don't think Axl really liked Maiden though.

I think it was that short black and white video interview from Donnington 88,I got that impression.

Posters on this board are way to bias to Axl Rose. Sure the guy is amazing but he isn't the greatest. I have posters with their shotguns in hands ready to jump at me cause I think Axl is not as talented as Led Zepplin. Well maybe those posters should get out of their parents basement and experience the world. Axl is not on Zeps level. As any major fan of music. Not fans like some of you where you seem you would take a bullet for Axl who in return has treated you like shit for the past few years. Really.. Wake the fuck up and relize Axl Rose is not the messiah.

you were fine until the last paragraph. I doubt one release by Axl's band will haunt VR in any way. VR will keep on rocking, and does not live or die by what some other artist releases. You can't stop the Big Machine.

:lol::lol::lol:

intelligent as usual. :sleeper:

As was the fine paragraph that he was laughing at, especially the bolded part. ;)

You know whats wierd? There has been more and more GnR fans posting here...but also, a lot of other members who usually would stay in the VR or AG section, because they didn't like this version of GnR, have began posting here and are now slamming the new band or any comparison to VR or other bands, right when activity is picking up for the fans who like the new band.

I don't know...it's just wierd how they're now posting in this section as regulars...

I think it was that short black and white video interview from Donnington 88,I got that impression.

Might not like the music, but maybe he liked Dickinson's stage presence. Running around on stage, one leg on the monitor, jumping off ramps etc....

Bruce is probably 50yrs old now and still does it just as good.

Might not like the music, but maybe he liked Dickinson's stage presence. Running around on stage, one leg on the monitor, jumping off ramps etc....

Bruce is probably 50yrs old now and still does it just as good.

I see what you mean.

I think Axl said something about them not putting the music first or something along those lines.

Until you mentioned it,I would have never thought about it,but now I see it.

You know the ironic thing? Guns actually could have been matched up against those bands kaneda listed without eliciting laughter had they stuck together till now. They were such a strong band everybody knew they were going to be one of the greats. Axl basically destroyed the whole legacy of this band for Chinese Democracy. For his sake I hope its all worth it because he pissed away the bands chance to be one of the all time greats.

As of right now there is no way any non-gnr fan would ever consider guns n roses to be up there with zeppelin and the stones. Fanboy opinion means little in the real world, an objective opinion is what ultimately counts. Guns don't stack up. Not enough material to stand a chance against those bands.

Quantity doesn't equal greatness. I mean, Sly's made a lot of movies, but he is not a great actor. He has just kept plugging away where a great actor like Gary Oldman has had few starring roles, but is a much better actor than Stallone.

GnR did for 5 years on the music scene what no one has ever seen, and the mere spectre of their return has the rock world buzzing. Don't be a musical snob just because you think that Zep's better.

I agree. Longevity counts for something, but if you want to rate a band then you look at their body of work. GN'R's wasn't that large but it rates up there with the top bands IMO.

It's kind of like rating a hockey or baseball player or something, who has a short career due to injury or something. It's unfair to penalize them just because they couldn't last. Look at the NFL...two of the best running backs of all-time (Terrell Davis, Barry Sanders) had releatively short careers but they were dominant for the years they played. It really is irrelevant how many years they did play because when they were playing they were clearly as good as anyone else. If Michael Jordan got hurt halfway through his career is he rated lower than had he lasted? I don't see how you can make that case, he had already proven himself by then. You knew that if he did last he would have continued to be great.

Same for a band, I find it hard to penalize GN'R because they didn't last. When they were in the game they were as good as anyone and that's really all you need to know when you rate their abilities. They put out 4 albums and all four had great music.

In contrast, Bon Jovi has been around a lot longer, has written a lot more music, and with all due respect to them they are pretty forgettable.

Edited by KBear