Axl is actually making classic rock music now

Guest JohnUlmer

Guest JohnUlmer

If you look at the Appetite days, those were GREAT, classic hard rock songs...but except for SCOM, WTTJ and Paradise City, most of them didn't transfer as well to the mainstream and on the UYI albums, November Rain and Don't Cry -- epic rock ballads -- were the most successful. It's a classic gritty album and still hugely influential amongst the rock community, and it's my favorite album, but I think some of Axl's new material is going to really blow it away.

In terms of universally-appealing, classic rock -- Elton John, Queen, The Beatles/John Lennon, Led Zeppelin, etc. -- Axl has found his place. "Catcher in the Rye" in particular exhibits such a different pattern than what we would expect from the singer who wrote "Don't Damn Me" and "Anything Goes."

Axl once said he jumped on the hair metal bandwagon to get famous and he didn't have any real ties to the genre of music. Slash did have ties, and I think that's why we had struggles on the UYI albums between harmonious melodies like Don't Cry and hard rock thrash like Garden of Eden - one side of Axl felt obligated to deliver to the Appetite crowds and Slash wanted to do that, but the inner Queen and Elton John fan could be heard on songs like Estranged and NR.

And now, left on his own, he's finally managed to reach the pinnacle. Axl has matured. His critics, I think, will at least be blown away by the maturity of his new songs and the scope -- these are going to reach into the mainstream and involve a whole new crowd of Elton John/Queen fans and classic rock listeners who shrugged off GN'R in the '80s.

I'm not saying there won't be any hard rock on CD, or that we hard rock isn't good -- but I think these melodic songs like TWAT and The Blues and CITR display a new side to Axl's musical talents.

Guns N' Roses are back, and they're kicking ass.

Edited by JohnUlmer

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, as i said before on a previous thread, Catcher in the Rye is a fucking bad-ass song................ i love it. it reminds me of something out of the UYI II album.....................

p.s. shouldn't I.R.S. be in there ???

You know... Axl is trying to appeal to people in their late 30's, 40's and maybe even 50's now... I myself am 23, but I appreciate all types of music. Axl is heading in the right direction with these. Most of his fans have grown up, as has he(well, physically and musically at least)

you must mean repetitive music. this song follows the same boring and "safe" formula as madagascar, twat, the blues, and even irs. it's uninspiring. if it wasn't for the great guitar leads, these songs would be the same old shit that's been on the pop stations for the last decade. i'm not impressed yet.

at least better is cool.

If you look at the Appetite days, those were GREAT, classic hard rock songs...but except for SCOM, WTTJ and Paradise City, most of them didn't transfer as well to the mainstream and on the UYI albums, November Rain and Don't Cry -- epic rock ballads -- were the most successful. It's a classic gritty album and still hugely influential amongst the rock community, and it's my favorite album, but I think some of Axl's new material is going to really blow it away.

In terms of universally-appealing, classic rock -- Elton John, Queen, The Beatles/John Lennon, Led Zeppelin, etc. -- Axl has found his place. "Catcher in the Rye" in particular exhibits such a different pattern than what we would expect from the singer who wrote "Don't Damn Me" and "Anything Goes."

Axl once said he jumped on the hair metal bandwagon to get famous and he didn't have any real ties to the genre of music. Slash did have ties, and I think that's why we had struggles on the UYI albums between harmonious melodies like Don't Cry and hard rock thrash like Garden of Eden - one side of Axl felt obligated to deliver to the Appetite crowds and Slash wanted to do that, but the inner Queen and Elton John fan could be heard on songs like Estranged and NR.

And now, left on his own, he's finally managed to reach the pinnacle. Axl has matured. His critics, I think, will at least be blown away by the maturity of his new songs and the scope -- these are going to reach into the mainstream and involve a whole new crowd of Elton John/Queen fans and classic rock listeners who shrugged off GN'R in the '80s.

I'm not saying there won't be any hard rock on CD, or that we hard rock isn't good -- but I think these melodic songs like TWAT and The Blues and CITR display a new side to Axl's musical talents.

Well said. And I agree completely. :ph34r:

Edited by Ions

yeah totally, im 23, saw GNR back in 02' when i was like 20, thought they rocked and i saw a wide spectrum of people there... AXL is really branching out and doing different things, remember, this is what Slash, Duff, and Co. didnt want to do, they just wanted to go out and make rock music, dont get me wrong what they did THEN was amazing, and what AXL has now.... well he has nothing, except for Demos, and the DEMOS are better than VR. Great move on AXL's part and she sounds amazing

You know... Axl is trying to appeal to people in their late 30's, 40's and maybe even 50's now... I myself am 23, but I appreciate all types of music. Axl is heading in the right direction with these. Most of his fans have grown up, as has he(well, physically and musically at least)

I don't think he's "trying to appeal" to anyone but himself.

you must mean repetitive music. this song follows the same boring and "safe" formula as madagascar, twat, the blues, and even irs. it's uninspiring. if it wasn't for the great guitar leads, these songs would be the same old shit that's been on the pop stations for the last decade. i'm not impressed yet.

at least better is cool.

I take it that you don't like Queen or The Beatles?

You can really hear the influence of them on CITR...Brian May even plays on it..

What a difference there is between 'Better' and 'Catcher in the Rye'. One track is a hybrid between Modern Rock and Metal and the other sounds like a purely devised Elton John track.

Axl was right. A melting pot is awaiting us.

I personally prefer 'Better'. (the full length version-not the fan made one) I'm an edgier kind of guy, but I can certainly appreciate the music in 'Rye'.

Edited by IndiannaRose

at least better is cool.

You can really hear the influence of them on CITR...Brian May even plays on it..

i fucking hate the beatles, they were the n'sync of the 60's

queen kicks ass, but they didn't steal any piano from motley crue's "home sweet home" (do i need to explain?)

i admitted the guitar leads are good, it just sounds like axl arranged the songs with fruity loops

great post man, i still wouldn't mind a few angry rock songs tho,

Edited by aussie_axl

Guest JohnUlmer

at least better is cool.

queen kicks ass, but they didn't steal any piano from motley crue's "home sweet home" (do i need to explain?)

i admitted the guitar leads are good, it just sounds like axl arranged the songs with fruity loops

Yeah, because it's cool to make fun of N'Sync! Hehee! They're so gay! LOL! LOLOLOL!!!

You know what else is funny to make fun of? Barney. I mean, wtf?! Big purple guy in a suit. HelLO?! Like lol wtf!!

da beatles? wtf lol they suk lol. their gayer than n'snyc lol lol. big fat gay guy singing lol. hehehehe *snort*

Edited by JohnUlmer

at least better is cool.

I agree, they are arranged wierd, but these are demos, they will change when we hear them on CD

at least better is cool.

dude your so gay, you don't belong on these boards!, the beatles are rock gods!, they were the first!, they lasted the test of time!.

I guess he spent his time right, educating his reckless mind.

afterall he was trailertrash, I'm not saying he wasn't or isn't smart.

But I honestly he educated himself and life taught him a lesson or two.

You are damn right about scope of things. He is actually talking now! :)

Great post! rock3

I think Axl has always used the same structures in his music so far. OMG is the same but has more changes of tempo. But slowed down it probably sounds like Garden of Eden meets Locomotive.

So far nothing I have heard from GNR lately couldn't be played by Slash. Maybe that band couldnt get it together to write such material but it sounds basically the same but it rocks harder, there are more extremes.

It would be really nice to hear somethingreally spacey and mellow and trippy from Axl...so far we have just heard the blood and thunder tracs. Guess the album isnt out!!!

I'm Rick James Bitch!!! It's a celebration Bitch!!!

rickjames.jpg

at least better is cool.

how can u hate the beatles they started rock n roll...