TWAT and IRS new leaks discussion

gnr=axl

As I listen to these older versions I can't help but shake my head...why wasn't this released back in 2000? Why was it re-recorded?

The mix, musicianship, and chemistry are much better than that of the newer TWAT and RTB-produced IRS.

IRS is a track I've never been a big fan of...dull guitar work (with great production though), cheesy-sounding drum loops, overtly basic drumming, and a major disconnect between Axl and the song. However, this older version has great creativity, good interplay between all the sounds (ie nothing too weird), and a better mix between instruments. Axl's vocal track is exactly the same, but it seems to go better with this production...his vocals still sound like a raw, one-take demo though, just like the newer one. All in all, a much better track...unfortunately it has the production values of the time, so a few instruments need to be amped up or toned down, less reverb on the vocals etc. I also thought that Bucketheads solo, while technically better, didn't fit the song, and while this solo isn't as fancy, it fits the song alot better. Lastly, since I have a gut feeling Axl is not going to release the CD this year (hate to fan the flames), I think he should seriously take the 1999 track's instrumentation, re-mix it for 2006 production values, add some vocal tricks, and the result will be the best possible product. Its a far more inventive, groovy, and warmer track than its detached, raw suitor.

TWAT has a MUCH better mix, something the "newer" version suffers from. The sound of the drum loops is a lot more fitting to the song. Additionally, the deletion of the guitar part on the first verse adds to the "cleanliness" of the song...I always thought that that 1st verse guitar track was either mixed too high and its timing didn't jive well with the rest of the track. Again, this better mix really makes the track, although I do miss some of Buckethead's guitar parts at the end.

In conclusion...it's really unfortunate that these tracks were not released so long ago, as I feel that (especially IRS) are of much better quality musically. If the new CD is ever released, I don't think these tracks will make it, as the 1999 production values kinda stand on this track. However, BRING BACK FREESE! :D

Great post. I thought IRS was pretty average but this '99 demo is much better. It really grooves. I love that new rhythm guitar during the "gonna call the president" parts. He should have put this shit out years ago. Oh well.

I have heard that the songs have been through so many mixes and alternate versions. He might have tried a different mix (the one with Buckt) but decided he didnt like it this version as much(heck its the same vocal performance). Its just experimenting. Who knows with which direction IRS in particular went in. '99 or '02 direction? Hopefully we find out in a few months....

I've never been really fond of IRS, but I do like how they do 3 solos on it live, so I hope they add the 3rd one to the final cut. TWAT sounds great, but I really liked Buckets solos at the end of it. The song does have the great ending like it did before, but it does sound kick ass. Hopefully Bumblefoot will go into the studio and try to record his own solo on this or something.

Edited by izzybrownstone

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

how about this? (as i listen to the new 2 leaks)

this songs, particulary this 2, twat and irs, of course are cleaner, and not "overproduced" as some of you would say.. but in the same time, are somehow not "produced" at all... i mean, yeah, we like those new leaks 'cause its something new, but honestly to me they sound a little empty, now, some of you might say "well the simpler the better" but what about that shitty solo on IRS compared to that killer shred in the first leak..??? its a matter of choice and personal opinion, but we all will have to stick to "Axl's versions".

The thing that comes to my mind, is that hearing this, i picture (in my head) Axl in his studio with the other 2 producers/engineers w/e... listenin and listenin again and again and again to one single song.!! and then Axl goes like: tweak the treble on that hi hat and on the bridge, put a compressor set to -1.00Db... and then the enginer says: i dont think the compressor would do, what about a limiter!? (so, WTF!??) and then, when this "final mix" is ready, all they got was a first demo,, ok, so, as time goes by, a new member jump in by Axl's invitation, so, thats why the story has been 95% done, 'cause this new guy is told by Axl: "hey, this is IRS, those are the chords, and dont forget to shred your ass off on the bridge then in the solo and in the "outro",,, so again, the finish recording those parts and then go back to produce again the same track, but!! but..!! BUUUTTT.. in the mean time, someone says, What about an acoustic rythm guitar on the intro??? and Axl goes like: i dont know, well lets try it... So,, this goes on, and on, and on and on...

So,, (to finish make my post as one of the worst post ever! :rofl-lol: ) So, when Axl talks about 90 songs done, he means, 30 songs, each one is in three diferent version, hahaha :rofl-lol: so when CD is released, we'll get, CD RED, CD BLUE and CD yellow,,, of course, each one with diferent members and diferent version in periods of time...

Nah, but seriously,,, what is try to say here, regardless of worst post ever,, is that hearing this, i can see why Axl has took so long workin his ass off all these years...... Great Man Axl Rose.. indeed, we'll hear music this year.

(ok, so now bash on me :xmasssanta: )

how about this? (as i listen to the new 2 leaks)

this songs, particulary this 2, twat and irs, of course are cleaner, and not "overproduced" as some of you would say.. but in the same time, are somehow not "produced" at all... i mean, yeah, we like those new leaks 'cause its something new, but honestly to me they sound a little empty, now, some of you might say "well the simpler the better" but what about that shitty solo on IRS compared to that killer shred in the first leak..??? its a matter of choice and personal opinion, but we all will have to stick to "Axl's versions".

The thing that comes to my mind, is that hearing this, i picture (in my head) Axl in his studio with the other 2 producers/engineers w/e... listenin and listenin again and again and again to one single song.!! and then Axl goes like: tweak the treble on that hi hat and on the bridge, put a compressor set to -1.00Db... and then the enginer says: i dont think the compressor would do, what about a limiter!? (so, WTF!??) and then, when this "final mix" is ready, all they got was a first demo,, ok, so, as time goes by, a new member jump in by Axl's invitation, so, thats why the story has been 95% done, 'cause this new guy is told by Axl: "hey, this is IRS, those are the chords, and dont forget to shred your ass off on the bridge then in the solo and in the "outro",,, so again, the finish recording those parts and then go back to produce again the same track, but!! but..!! BUUUTTT.. in the mean time, someone says, What about an acoustic rythm guitar on the intro??? and Axl goes like: i dont know, well lets try it... So,, this goes on, and on, and on and on...

So,, (to finish make my post as one of the worst post ever! :rofl-lol: ) So, when Axl talks about 90 songs done, he means, 30 songs, each one is in three diferent version, hahaha :rofl-lol: so when CD is released, we'll get, CD RED, CD BLUE and CD yellow,,, of course, each one with diferent members and diferent version in periods of time...

Nah, but seriously,,, what is try to say here, regardless of worst post ever,, is that hearing this, i can see why Axl has took so long workin his ass off all these years...... Great Man Axl Rose.. indeed, we'll hear music this year.

(ok, so now bash on me :xmasssanta: )

blah blah blah? ;) no, but seriously...that would be funny...CD Buckethead version, CD Bumblefoot version, CD Finck only version and so on...heh...

Edited by Axl2000-PL

GOD FUCKEN DAMN IT CAN'T U READ PEOPLE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOOK AT MY SIGNATURE AND DOTS ON THE LEFT AND RIGHT OF IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! STOP REQUESTING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P:D

Edited by Axl2000-PL