Aerosmith thread

Top Jimmy

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six times you are so lucky > I have not seen them once and they are my fav band (though I suppose that is politically incorrect to say on a GnR Forum. Tell us about it. I know I want to hear.

you should do yourself a favor and GO OUT AND SEE THEM! they're awesome every time. i'll be sure to report back tomorrow

holy shit. best show i've ever been to i think. it was billed as an acoustic performance, but the only thing acoustic was perry's guitar for maybe 5 songs. everyone else was plugged in and ready to go. they ripped through all kinds of classic tunes - toys in the attic, movin out, walkin the dog, walk this way, sweet emotion, train kept a rollin, rattlesnake shake, seasons of wither and more. and they played a few more recent songs - crazy, what it takes, don't wanna miss a thing (i think that's actually about it for 'new era' aerosmith)

they played for about 2 hours and told all kinds of stories. it was like an episode of vh1's storyteller's on crack. it was awesome. def. tied for first as the best i've ever seen them live.

no one from NY (or anywhere else i suppose) was there?

• 2 weeks later...

I got there at 5:20, and was third in line for the show. I heard Aerosmith soundchecking, and Tommy soundchecking his drumkit. The security guards were talking about GN'R, calling Axl a bitch, it seems he demanded his alchohol chilled to an exact temperature, and wouldn't trust anything at all. It seems like the rest were nice guys according to these guys, they said "the guy that looked like ZZ Top was really fucking drunk", so I'm guessing they meant Finck. They mentioned how amicable the Suicide Girls were, and that they provided free lapdances to anyone backstage, not just the band. They mentioned that if Baz ever comes back to Calgary, they'd like to cut him into tiny pieces and throw him in the river.

They were talking about groupies and shit and how decent Motley Crue were this time and last, as well as GN'R. They mentioned how Good Charlotte were almost pedophiles, and picked the youngest looking girls to fuck. They mentioned Hinder, who supposedly had an unbelievably large dildo that they made the groupies stick in their mouths, if they got it in, they were accepted in for the party, then they had to insert it into the remaining two orifices, if they couldn't do so, they were kicked out. They played a game of "Survivor" like that. Of course, this is to be taken with a grain of salt, considering the fact that these are security guards/roadies.

Doors opened at 6:30, and I went in. It was seated floor so I went to buy a t shirt. Here's the cool part, for Aerosmith they had this ramp that went out into the middle of the arena, so where I was was the best place in the whole arena because I was close to the main stage, AND got to be right beside the ramp, so I could see them when they came out there. Motley Crue didn't use the ramp.

Motley

On my way down I saw LUKAS ROSSI of Supernova standing by the side of the stage. He was behind a barrier, but only feet away, so I yelled Lukas! And then introduced myself. He was very nice, generally a cool guy, not an arrogant cunt at all. I spoke with him for about 30 secs, then left for my seat and watched the setup.

At 7:30, lights went out and the Crue appeared on stage. Vince looked like something out of Miami Vice, and the rest of the band was dressed as they usually are. Nikki came out firing this pyrotechnic gun, and the blasts nearly made me deaf. They had the most ridiculously elaborate stage show imaginable. They kicked it off with "Dr. Feelgood", which was done well, with lots of energy and surprisingly, very good vocals from Vince, which is odd considering what I've heard about his voice on this tour. The sound was AWFUL. You guys should stop bitching about GN'R's sound, you should've heard this shit. Nikki's bass louder than Vince and Mick, and Tommy's drum sound a bit muddy at times. "Shout at the Devil" was the only other notable performance of the show, till "Girls Girls Girls", which was a lot of fun. Cheesy as hell, but fun. These two strippers came out on bikes and provided entertainment. Again, you people call GN'R vegas-y, you should see this shit. It was ridiculous! It was like coming out and saying: "We're touring with a band 1000000000000000000000X better than us, so we have explosions and strippers! LOOK AT US, PLEASE!". Tommy was AWESOME though. He kicked MAJOR ass. He even gave a bottle of Jagermeister to the the crowd, and told them to hand it back, and it was MY ROW, so I got a nice shot. It was Nikki's birthday, so it was indeed a lot more energetic than their usual shows.

For "Kickstart My Heart", Vince's voice had gone into complete helium mode, and lost all its power, and he came out in... guess? I gave a hint!!

A hockey jersey. I hate to say this, but he WAS Axl 2002. :rofl-lol:

AEROSMITH

Then the stage change took place. Or should I say the stage removal? When the curtain was raised to reveal Joe playing the "Toys" riff, there was nothing there but the band and the instruments. Simply phenomenal in every way. The catwalk/ramp was brought down and Steven ran right by me, shaking/touching my hand in the process, while Joe fucking killed that guitar. I could not believe my luck. I instantly knew I was in the presence of the greatest frontman of all time, and the coolest guitarist of all time, if not quite the best.

Then, after "Toys", they went into one of my personal favorites, "Walkin' the Dog", which they performed phenomenally. This time Joe came closer to us, while Steven worked the crowd behind the stage and the side-ramps. Then they did a couple of songs I didn't like much (Love in an Elevator, Cryin'), I enjoyed the performances, it was still Aerosmith, but I would've preferred "Back in the Saddle" or "Janie's Got a Gun".

Then a PHENOMENAL performance of "What it Takes", with Steven utilising crowd members as characters. Again, just so fucking amazing, beyond magnificent. Then they went into the song that really got me going: "Baby Please Don't Go", which was just PHENOMENAL. Simply and utterly unbelievable. Joe and Brad played amazing solos, Joey drummed HARD, and Steven played his harmonica solo RIGHT next to me, :wub::wub::wub::wub:, it was so great.

Then keeping in the blues vein, they went into what absolutely made my night, the amazing "Stop Messin' Around". Simply beyond belief. Simply beyond belief. Other than Clapton, I have never seen someone use a guitar like that. Joe was AMAZING on this. Steven showed that he's just as much of a Blues vocalist as he is a rock vocalist.

A great sitdown performance of "Seasons of Wither" went into "Dream On", which was easily the vocal highlight for Tyler. It was better than the studio version, and far better than most live versions I've heard. I cannot describe how unimaginable the notes he held were. It was just unreal, like a dream. Except my dream had already come true, I didn't have to dream on, it was Aerosmith, and they were playing right beside me.

"Chip Away at the Stone" followed, and afterward they did a GREAT version of "Last Child", one of my favorite songs from Rocks, which is one of my favorite albums. I was acting like one of those girls you see in the old Elvis videos screaming and going mad. :wub: ( :unsure: )...

Next, David Hull, who was filling in for Tom, did this ridiculously amazing bass solo. I've never heard a bass solo that good in my life. Then he went into "Sweet Emotion" and had the place in a frenzy, of course.

"Draw the Line"... Perhaps the coolest live performance I've ever seen. I love the song, and they did it perfectly, but when Joe MOTHERFUCKING PERRY, took his shirt off less than one inch away from me, and beat his guitar with it, it was the definitive moment for me. Here is where I decided that Aerosmith are the best live rock band in the world. I've seen the Stones, I've seen Metallica, I've seen GN'R, I've seen many newer bands, I've seen AC/DC, I've seen Clapton... And nothing even came SLIGHTLY close to this.

Encore, then "Walk this Way", where I'm sure I tore a few throat muscles. It was amazing to see that song performed live.

The sound crew for Aerosmith was also very, very good. Perfect sound, almost.

I made many conclusions last night. I concluded that Steven Tyler is the greatest rock vocalist of all time, by far. I also concluded that he is easily the only member of his generation whose voice is still perfect. When I saw the Stones, there was chemistry and energy, but it was a scripted show. GN'R was a scripted show, even Bach was a scripted show. Metallica was a scripted show, and most of all Motley Crue was a scripted show. Aerosmith still had attitude, still had real chemistry, still had a sense of danger and spontaneity that is so rare in rock today, and is all the more amazing considering the amount of time they've been playing together.

To be honest, I got a brutal asskicking last night. A brutal asskicking. And it came from the baddest band on the planet, Aerosmith. It was simply beyond reality. I cannot wait to see them on a headlining tour. 1000000/10.

VIDEOS AND PICS!!!!!!! NONE TAKEN BY ME!!!!! THANKS TO AEROFORCEONE AND A NICE LADY THERE!

Toys in the Attic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHvbAEA6Ia4

Chip Away The Stone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR3KMceOghs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eqbhyuwee8

IMG_3550.jpg

IMG_3547.jpg

IMG_3507.jpg

IMG_3447.jpg

By the way, Joey=Awesome!

Mr. Tyler exuding coolness:

IMG_3346.jpg

IMG_3370.jpg

Edited by adnan

Cool review...worthy of a great band!

You think they're dangerous now...they were out of their frikkin minds back in the day! ;)

I was thinking about how amazing it would've been to see them on the Rocks tour. Too bad I wasn't a teen in the 70's. Still a phenomenal show though.

glad you had such an amazing time

FYI... if you have the dough, there's rumors flying around that aerosmith's gonna be playing a 2nd show at the beacon in jan. i saw them the first time and it was 10x better than the other 5 times i've seen them (which were all mind blowing). if you don't know, the beacon theater's a small theater in NYC that only holds about 1800 and the rumor is that they're shooting a DVD and would probably need more footage.

worth the money and travel from calgary IMO

Cool review...worthy of a great band!

You think they're dangerous now...they were out of their frikkin minds back in the day! ;)

I was thinking about how amazing it would've been to see them on the Rocks tour. Too bad I wasn't a teen in the 70's. Still a phenomenal show though.

Actaully adnan,you eloquently captured the spirit of a vintage Aerosmith show in your review.

But yeah...an Aerosmith show back then had a completely different vibe to it...FAR more intense,(and no radio friendly pop songs! ;) )

You woulda dug it big time!

Great review! I saw them last year, and I can easily say it was the best show I had ever seen. I didn't see them this year because I didn't have the money when they came around my area. However, I know I'm definitely seeing them next time around no matter the cost. I heard rumors flying around that they were going to do another co-headline tour next summer with Def Leppard, but I don't think anything was confirmed.

That's disappointing if they're gonna do another co-headlining tour. :(

I would love a longer set... They played great, but there's no doubt that I would've loved to hear Back in the Saddle and Train Kept a Rollin'.

I would be disappointed too if it were true. I have seen that rumor come up a lot over on the Aeroforceone boards. I don't know how reliable their sources were to tell you the truth.

I was lucky last year. They did Train right before they left the stage. Then they came back out for the encore with Steven saying "I know what you guys want to hear." Then, he just let out that scream of "I'm BAAAAAACK!" After that they closed the show with Draw the Line. Last year, they had two ramps with a little clearing in between the two ends so the band could easily walk from one ramp to the other. During DTL, Steven and Joe spent nearly the entire song down in that little clearing, surrounded by fans on all sides of them. That was probably the most magical moment of the show I saw. Also, at the end of the song, Joe starting beating his guitar with his shirt like you described. The entire show was just unbelievable.

Sounds like you had a kickass time, and considering all the other great bands you've seen for Aerosmith to be far above them is great. Especially Metallica, and I would think they would be an amazing live band.

Oh yeah and Adnan, was the whole football jersey a dig at Axl..or just a crazy coincidence? If it was a joke thats hilarious.....stupid question I know...but I'm just asking :P

Edited by FunkyMonk

Sounds like you had a kickass time, and considering all the other great bands you've seen for Aerosmith to be far above them is great. Especially Metallica, and I would think they would be an amazing live band.

Oh yeah and Adnan, was the whole football jersey a dig at Axl..or just a crazy coincidence? If it was a joke thats hilarious.....stupid question I know...but I'm just asking :P

No, Vince wore a Flames jersey to appeal to the crowd. Dizzy did the same for Jungle during GN'R's show. But he fucking looked exactly like Axl from distance, his hair was also as long as Axl's braids. :rofl-lol:

No, Vince wore a Flames jersey to appeal to the crowd. Dizzy did the same for Jungle during GN'R's show. But he fucking looked exactly like Axl from distance, his hair was also as long as Axl's braids. :rofl-lol:

Ha, well at least you got a good laugh out of it :)

I always love reading your reviews rock3 I wanted to see those two bands so bad..more for aerosmith, but I went to Guns a week before so I was pretty broke at the time :lol: And ticket prices for 'smith are always pretty crazy....I do still plan to see them someday hopefully!

That's funny about Vince wearin the jerseys :lol:

Great review man, I wanted to go see them on this tour really bad because I love both bands. But the ticket prices were incredibly high and I would have had to go 2 or 3 hours to see them. I almost did get tickets to one of the Ohio shows but I'm glad I didn't because Gn'R announced their tour shortly after. :)

Cool review, Adnan. Tyler is ageless and it's great his throat recovered like MB said. He sounds phenominal.

The dude just has that same Rock 'n Roll spirit he's always had and Perry hasn't aged much either. What a kick ass band for the ages. I hope they keep it going for many more years... rock1

Edited by Turn_It_Up