Slow ticket sales in the States

Outtagetme

Just as most of us expected, it looks as if the North American Tour ticket sales haven't started out so well. Minutes ago, I checked and there are still floor seats available in San Diego, Sacremento, Fresno, and Bakersfield. I didn't check the Sunday Las Vegas concert, but I am assuming tickets are still available for that 1,500 seat theater too.

This is what I was afraid of- I still feel that he should have played theaters to the smaller cities and Arenas in 4 or 5 big cities (including Philadelphia). I hate how Axl's critics blast him for playing to half-full arenas. I hope they do play MTV on Thursday, and I hope the voice holds up and they play well. Maybe this will help sales or boost interest. There are not enough forum members out there to sell out all the seats in these places. He should have released the album by now if he wanted to play in Sacremento or Fresno.

At least the Vegas show I'm going to is sold out. Anyone else feeling the same way after checking ticketmaster this morning?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think after the VMAs, whether they play or not, the ticket sales will start coming along better. Once people see Axl on the tv, there interest will be rekindled. They will go and check out what he is up to, find out he will be on tour, and then the tickets will start selling good. I think thats why he decided to be at the VMAs, even if its only to be a presenter. Hopefully, Kurt Loder gets an interview out of him too.

I am worried too, and heres why. The other day, I was on ticket master, found 2 great floor seats. 75$ per ticket. Was just about to buy them, then thought 'WHY?" I figured, by the time i bought plane tickets, and a room in reno, plus meals, I would have the cost of a small vacation. Now, I would do that in a heartbeat, but,

I sat back and thought:

1) I have seen this show already (2002)

2) New band, but sings old songs (at least a re-union would be a reason to go, I mean, if I want to hear the old songs, at least lets see the people who wrote them)

3)If there was an album, a single, just a REASON,for me to spend all this money.

This "TOUR" has every reason to fail. No promo, no album, no single. And the little bit I do see, says "gnr are back" really? so if I am the typical 33-40 year old who still remembers what it was really like to see them, but dont really follow these boards, I spend the money, and see only axl? This shit does not work in the USA.

You either market yourself, with a product, then tour, or you have re-union tours. Those are the choices. If you have a bunch of guys playing other peoples music, we call that a cover band.

what they must realise is that europe and the US are totally different markets

big bands rarely play europe which means that when they do there is a huge surge and want for them

big bands are constantly having US tours so there isn't as much urgency to see them

Tickets Will pick up the news will get out there I mean i have heard more about GNR doing this tour then we did for the 2002 tour. But this year the VMA's will be used as the stepping stone for this leg of the tour. But to the member that said he would just hear the old songs if you didnt hear the interview with Axl from the other day he said there will be more new songs. So going by that we could possably have a new song released but if not oh well I mean the tour is gonna go well and who cares if we dont hear many new songs its the fact of going to see a good show.

I agree. This was inevitable.

Its completely unrealistic to think you can sell out areans with no press, no album, and no clue who is in the band...other then the fact you know who is NOT there.

It's not completely unrealistsic!

It's completely and incredibly dumb!

what they must realise is that europe and the US are totally different markets

big bands rarely play europe which means that when they do there is a huge surge and want for them

big bands are constantly having US tours so there isn't as much urgency to see them

Totally right.

If they play the VMAs, I think they should play "Better" and then Axl should do a walk-off interview saying "We just played our new Single of the new album that will be out during the first week of November". "We've scheduled some dates in parts of the country so I want to encourage everyone to come out and see this band".

I agree. This was inevitable.

Its completely unrealistic to think you can sell out areans with no press, no album, and no clue who is in the band...other then the fact you know who is NOT there.

great post, hits nail on head

I really think the big problem is the lack of promotion. I mean as much as I hate the crue, look what they did before their tour. Individual member's had their own tv shows, books came out, greatets hits cd's, shirts were poppin up at various stores, commerical's on tv etc. So far the extent of promotion for this tour is some 2006 dates under a 2002 world tour logo on gnronline.com. Even if there is no album at the time, they could atleast get the news of the tour out there and I'm hoping the vma's will somewhat do that. Either way I am excited as all hell and am going to the bakersfield and san diego show. But I agree that it does seem kind of odd to play arenas with no promotion or new fans yet. I mean, the only big rock bands that seem to be playin arenas lately are the stones(obviously) and bon jovi(who has old fans and tons of new ones) so untill some new material is released in to the public's eyes, the sales are probabaly gunna be kind of slow.

Anybody in California know who the opening act is?

If Axl wanted to do arena shows, it might have been a good idea to get a well known act to open up for them. He's done it before, in 91, Skid Row was the opener and it was great, the fans got more than their money's worth. But if he keeps having low level (dare I say it, unknown acts) open up, then he's going to have trouble selling tickets for arena's.

That being said, its still early. Tickets only went on sale last week. I'm hoping for the best, time will tell.

America keeps making stupid mistakes over and over again

Yeah, like the mistake of being the most kick ass country in the world. Face it, we rule all.

You Euro, (and Canadian), dudes are so sensitive, Americans have gotten used to being hated and its really quite a vantage point once accepted.

*edited by uk subs*

But going back to the thread, it would make complete sense to tour AFTER the album is released, when the public visibility of the band has been heightened. It seems the management adopted the idea 'lets tour first to let everybody know we are back, and then sell shitloads of albums'. Europe is always a good place for GN'R, and always has been. GN'R get so much bad press in the states, its hardly suprising they arent selling many tickets to the gigs.

Personally, I didnt care less how many tickets were sold. I was going to enjoy watching them anyway half full or half empty. And nobody could take that from me. It was much better to watch them in the 21,000 MEN arena, than what it was when I saw them at the Milton Keynes Bowl back in 93, it seemed much more exclusive than an open air stadium event.

I've said it before and will say it again and all of you will get pissed. Axl may need to talk Kid Rock into bringing his band out to California to sell out the rest of the seats.

I agree! Kid Rock/Guns n Roses would sell a lot of tickets. And you could bet that Pamela Anderson would come out onstage to introduce Kid Rock.

Pamela Anderson "Ladies and gentelman, may I introduce my husband, Scott Baio, errr....Tommy Lee.....err................KID ROCK!!" Crowd goes wild.

Seriously, I do think a well known opening act is the key. There is a reason Motley Crue and Aerosmith are touring together.

They sold well i Europe, whats the problem with US?

Europeans like history, (its all they got), Americans could give a shit about the past, you gotta have something new up your sleeve here.

dude :monkey::monkey:

Well, I must say you have a point there.

America keeps making stupid mistakes over and over again, so yeah, they don't really give a fuck about history :D.

you're right, we should do what george washington and lincoln did when terrorists were crashing planes and trying to get nukes...

on topic, though - it's mostly the promotion i reckon, when gnr played pittsburgh in 02, it was advertised on the radio once, once! then after i saw them people were like, dude, gnr played? i would've went if i knew!

of course an album and single would be smart too.

Maybe u only heard it once. I lived there then and went to the show and it was advertised on the radio many more times than 1. It ended with "cause it's been too long since you've had your ass kicked properly" :rofl-lol: