Hypothetic Scenario

LA_0013

Ok, I'm gonna ask a totally hypothetical situation here and it's with regard to people's inflated expectations for the new album. I asked the same question some time ago but thought I'd post again with so many new members on the forum.

It was a Zakk Wilde interview I read where he said he was really looking forward to CD like the next person, but he believes expectations are so high that even if the album is pretty good, people will ultimately be disappointed. Kinda like after hearing all the songs for the first time, people will be like "Is that it? Is that what we waited over a decade for? Its good, but it's not THAT good!" In other words, the myth and enigma of the album will be over, and people will realise that music is music, it ain't gonna be that different.

Ok, so imagine in '91 GNR only released UYI 1, and UYI 2 didn't exist at that moment in time. Now lets say CD is released now, and the content is exactly that of UYI 2, with Axl's vocals and the new band playing all the tunes. Would you be happy with that?? Would you listen to the album and think, "Whoa, thats incredible."

To an extent I kinda agree with what Zakk is saying, which is a real shame. I'm the first to admit, I fuckin love UYI 2, a great album, and the diversion from Appetite with songs like Civil War and Estranged was great. But if CD were this album i'd be disappointed. Kinda strange considering how much I love this album! (?). Point proven. .

My point is that most might be expecting an album of the quality that is next to impossible to achieve. I think that waiting and waiting and waiting for this album and the ongoing journey that has been Chinese Democracy might be a dis-service to Axl, coz anything less than mind-blowing will be unsatisfactory. And I think this has seriously affected Axl's decision not to release this album in recent times. He realises that this album more or less has to be the ' Sgt Pepper' of rock albums for it to be deemed a success. So would you be happy if it were UYI 2? Some may be, but I'm sure most really are expecting much more, possibly even far too much from CD.

(By the way, for the record I'm more than sure the album WILL be mind-blowing! My thoughts on this band seriously changed after seeing them twice this summer.....) rock2

LA

I would not be happy at this point with UYI2. It was a great record, but there were some weak tracks on there. My world is one of the worst songs ever. CD will have to be a perfect album to be a creative success.

Edited by bax

Perfect to who? Me? You? Axl? The criteria is different for everyone. You ask 100 people here of what the perfect G n' R album would be and you'd get 100 different answers. Some would want an AFD rehash, some would like an album full of "My World" type songs. Others an album of November Rains'. My point is, there is no such thing as a general perfect album. Once people realize that, they are much less likely to be let down.

Great post LA 0013 and i see your point. In my opinion though i think this album will be one of those albums that has a lot to take in like The White Album did but obviously not as good. After four or five listens it will be etched into the GN'R fans minds forever all over the globe.

Edited by Calm Like A Bomb

What fuckin' rubbish! Buckethead is a far more talented guitarist than Slash is.

And Peyton Manning is a more talented quarterback than Tom Brady, yet anyone in the NFL would take Brady on their team because he is a "winner."

Slash is far from the most talented guitar on this planet, yet both his SCOM and NR solos are generally found on almost any list of the top 20 solos ever. For all of Bucket's "talent", he is never anywhere to be found in terms of musical results.

I will take the "winner" with the track record of producing legendary results over the guy who may have better technique and talent but is only remembered for being "talented", rather than historic contributions to Rock music.

Critics and reviewers will almost guaranteed not get past the fact that it took so long to make. They will harp on about AFD and Slash and bitch about the new members. The music will be completely over shadowed by childish rants and digs at Axl's personality. At least we'll get to see true colors. Now, on saying that I'm not saying that any reviewer who gives it a bad review is a bad reviewer, there is a chance, no matter how remote that CD will be crap. Then the bad reviews will be justified. I just think it will be a great, yet far from perfect album that will be a great addition to the GnR library that should be reviewed as a new album from a great band and not a work of art 13 years in the making. AFD and UYI were far from perfect.

The UYI albums are definitely not perfect. In fact they are pretty far from perfect (tons of filler songs). But AFD in my opinion is the best hard rock album of the last 30 years probably since Led Zeppelin at their peak. As far as catchy, kickass rock n' roll goes, AFD is as close to perfect as you'll find IMHO.

Ok, I'm gonna ask a totally hypothetical situation here and it's with regard to people's inflated expectations for the new album. I asked the same question some time ago but thought I'd post again with so many new members on the forum.

It was a Zakk Wilde interview I read where he said he was really looking forward to CD like the next person, but he believes expectations are so high that even if the album is pretty good, people will ultimately be disappointed. Kinda like after hearing all the songs for the first time, people will be like "Is that it? Is that what we waited over a decade for? Its good, but it's not THAT good!" In other words, the myth and enigma of the album will be over, and people will realise that music is music, it ain't gonna be that different.

Ok, so imagine in '91 GNR only released UYI 1, and UYI 2 didn't exist at that moment in time. Now lets say CD is released now, and the content is exactly that of UYI 2, with Axl's vocals and the new band playing all the tunes. Would you be happy with that?? Would you listen to the album and think, "Whoa, thats incredible."

To an extent I kinda agree with what Zakk is saying, which is a real shame. I'm the first to admit, I fuckin love UYI 2, a great album, and the diversion from Appetite with songs like Civil War and Estranged was great. But if CD were this album i'd be disappointed. Kinda strange considering how much I love this album! (?). Point proven. .

My point is that most might be expecting an album of the quality that is next to impossible to achieve. I think that waiting and waiting and waiting for this album and the ongoing journey that has been Chinese Democracy might be a dis-service to Axl, coz anything less than mind-blowing will be unsatisfactory. And I think this has seriously affected Axl's decision not to release this album in recent times. He realises that this album more or less has to be the ' Sgt Pepper' of rock albums for it to be deemed a success. So would you be happy if it were UYI 2? Some may be, but I'm sure most really are expecting much more, possibly even far too much from CD.

(By the way, for the record I'm more than sure the album WILL be mind-blowing! My thoughts on this band seriously changed after seeing them twice this summer.....) rock2

LA

Tough to really see what happens since the album isn't out.

LA

True, but fuck it. You don't judge something you love, you just listen to it because you love it and if you love it by all heart there is no way that something can change that. The point is, that for those who feel that music is more than just a tune, will LOVE the CD!!!! Noworries no worries ;)

The UYI albums are definitely not perfect. In fact they are pretty far from perfect (tons of filler songs). But AFD in my opinion is the best hard rock album of the last 30 years probably since Led Zeppelin at their peak. As far as catchy, kickass rock n' roll goes, AFD is as close to perfect as you'll find IMHO.

Once again, in your opinion...

I'll be honest - I think album will be good, possibly even great. But will it be ten years great? I just can't see this album beating Appetite For Destruction, which I believe to be the best album of all time. In all honesty, I think that most of the new songs are a little below Use Your Illusions standard.

That's not all bad though, because the Use Your Illusions albums were excellent. But with such a massive wait, it seems as though Axl is trying to achieve perfection for this album. Sure, you can have production standards near enough to perfect - but can you ever really achieve the perfect album?

With Axl carrying on the Guns N' Roses moniker for himself, they will ALWAYS be compared to the old band. If Axl changed the name to Roses N' Guns then even that I believe would take all this pressure of the band to somehow out-perform, or at least equal, the original band. In my opinion, I just can't see that happening, at least not with Chinese Democracy.

In conclusion - Chinese Democracy will almost certainly be good, hopefully great. But a masterpiece of rock? We'll have to wait and see.

and if Slash was playing on it, many more would agree imho.

UK SUBS.

Sad, but very true. . .

LA

What fuckin' rubbish! Buckethead is a far more talented guitarist than Slash is. Why wouldn't people prefer to have the combined work of two musical ''geniuses'' like Axl & Bucket. I think that after the album is released Buckethead will rejoin Guns N' Roses.

Please, all the music you claim to like as a gnr fan is by slash. Talent or not, the majority of fans dont want to see a freak with a bucket on his head on stage with axl.