Led Zeppelin

FunkyMonk

ok honestly, i just cant get into Zeppelin. the only 3 songs that i can actually name that i like are immigrant song, stairway to heaven and tangerine.

i just never could see anything brilliant or mindblowing :( i just never was like ' :o ' when i listened to them. ive got 3 albums and i dont know.......

help me?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok honestly, i just cant get into Zeppelin. the only 3 songs that i can actually name that i like are immigrant song, stairway to heaven and tangerine.

i just never could see anything brilliant or mindblowing :( i just never was like ' :o ' when i listened to them. ive got 3 albums and i dont know.......

help me?

I love them, but I can't convince you to-it's just a matter of taste. I'm sure you like some stuff I wouldn't like either.

the best rock band ever definetly.

care to explain why?

Well, for one, the group was made up of one of the most influential drummers of all time, one of the most influential bass players of all time, one of the most influential guitarists of all time and one of the most influential singers of all time. They were all ridiculously talented in their particular area.

Along with Sabbath, they were largely responsible for spawning heavy metal, and have influenced in some way or another the majority of rock bands ever since.

They tapped into a wide range of genres, ranging from heavy metal to folk to pure blues, and were able to produce album after album full of killer songs, not to mention being one of the best live acts ever

care to explain why?

Well, for one, the group was made up of one of the most influential drummers of all time, one of the most influential bass players of all time, one of the most influential guitarists of all time and one of the most influential singers of all time. They were all ridiculously talented in their particular area.

Along with Sabbath, they were largely responsible for spawning heavy metal, and have influenced in some way or another the majority of rock bands ever since.

They tapped into a wide range of genres, ranging from heavy metal to folk to pure blues, and were able to produce album after album full of killer songs, not to mention being one of the best live acts ever

See thats what i don't get, influentual?

They certainly didn't do anything new as far as i see it.

Kieth Moon and John Entwistle were a much more talented and influentual rythym section than Led Zeps, and they had been doing for almost a decade before Zep came along.

Clapton and Beck were much better, influentual and innovative guitarists than Page. Clapton was using large amounts of distortion before anyone else, and meshed the blues into rock before many others.

I think Led Zeppelin were sort of a 3rd wave of British invasion. They weren't doing anything new that Cream, Beatles, Stones, Ten Years After, Yardbirds, Deep Purple etc had already done.

And whats so Metal about Led Zep anyway? Deep Purple and Sabbath are much more Metal.

care to explain why?

See thats what i don't get, influentual?

They certainly didn't do anything new as far as i see it.

Kieth Moon and John Entwistle were a much more talented and influentual rythym section than Led Zeps, and they had been doing for almost a decade before Zep came along.

Clapton and Beck were much better, influentual and innovative guitarists than Page. Clapton was using large amounts of distortion before anyone else, and meshed the blues into rock before many others.

I think Led Zeppelin were sort of a 3rd wave of British invasion. They weren't doing anything new that Cream, Beatles, Stones, Ten Years After, Yardbirds, Deep Purple etc had already done.

And whats so Metal about Led Zep anyway? Deep Purple and Sabbath are much more Metal.

YEAH! Very true.

They're good, but not the best...Deep Purple was much better IMO

Deep Purple aren't as good as Zepp. I love Deep Purple but some of their songs are very same-ish.

I can't say much for the Who. Ive listened to Tommy and their Best Of, but they don't seem that great.

The thing I love about Led Zeppelin, is no two of their songs sound the same. They experimented with time signatures, they played great blues songs, folk songs and amazing rock songs. If you look at their debut, its very different from their second album, and they were both released in the same year. The band worked magnificently together, and their sound developed throughout their career. They could write a song like Misty Mountain Hop and then write something like Rain Song. Entwistle was a better bassist, but JPJ was more than a bassist. He played organ etc. and wrote the riff to Black Dog. Led Zeppelin had it all.

Deep Purple aren't as good as Zepp. I love Deep Purple but some of their songs are very same-ish.

I can't say much for the Who. Ive listened to Tommy and their Best Of, but they don't seem that great.

The thing I love about Led Zeppelin, is no two of their songs sound the same. They experimented with time signatures, they played great blues songs, folk songs and amazing rock songs. If you look at their debut, its very different from their second album, and they were both released in the same year. The band worked magnificently together, and their sound developed throughout their career. They could write a song like Misty Mountain Hop and then write something like Rain Song. Entwistle was a better bassist, but JPJ was more than a bassist. He played organ etc. and wrote the riff to Black Dog. Led Zeppelin had it all.

Well said. Most people think of Zeppelin as a one-dimensional hard rock band, but they evolved constantly from album to album and wrote songs in most every genre imaginable.

two words, man: HISTORICAL CONTEXT.

you have to remember how groundbreaking they were for the time they were in. also, if you listen to them in proper album form (no best of's or box sets) you'll notice how diverse they were. they could convincingly play blues, folk, reggae, country, rockabilly, etc. not to mention they pioneered "heavy rock, or heavy metal".

then there are the individuals in the band who are each all-time greats at their respective crafts, and great songwriters.

other than that, yes they're very ordinary! :P

They are exciting. :) Putting on Led Zep 1 and listening to Good Times Bad Times just makes me think "wow, this must have made an impact". Anything that is constantly said to be "legendary" is going to have problems living up to that label. But it's still amazing music.

Never saw what all the fuss was about. They bore me to death.

'The Song Remains the Same' was on the TV tonight, I watched some of it and still cannot see whats so great about them. I ended up changing the channel.

'The Song Remains The Same' isn't that good to showcase their talent anyway.

I'm completely clueless to why they left The Ocean out of that film.

I take your points about Zeppelin's greatness, and the only thing I really disagree with is your Entwistle/JPJ comparison. Entwistle was a talented multi-instrumentalist too and he wrote many songs for The Who. To be honest I'd put them just about on par overall, and they're both my favourite members of the two bands.

I take your points about Zeppelin's greatness, and the only thing I really disagree with is your Entwistle/JPJ comparison. Entwistle was a talented multi-instrumentalist too and he wrote many songs for The Who. To be honest I'd put them just about on par overall, and they're both my favourite members of the two bands.

Ah, well I suppose I don't know enough about Entwistle to compare him to JPJ. I'll take your word for it :)

'The Song Remains the Same' was on the TV tonight, I watched some of it and still cannot see whats so great about them. I ended up changing the channel.

As I know absolutley nothing about Led Zeppelin, can you please tell me WTF is with those scenes in the beginning near the water?!?!

As I know absolutley nothing about Led Zeppelin, can you please tell me WTF is with those scenes in the beginning near the water?!?!

Each member had their own fantasy sequence in the film.

At the beginning, Robert Plant was sitting near a river with his wife watching the kids playing in the water. Or you may be referring to the scene with Page sitting by a river (I think) and when he turns to the camera, hes got weird glowy eyes.

If its the first one you seen, its just showing Plant relaxing in the countryside. If its the latter, I have no idea.

Agree--- Jimmy Page arguably the greatest rock in roll riff writer and producer of all time. They made their own rules. Refused to put their name on most album covers because the music was above all. Hammer of the Gods is an excellent book about the band. Some of the things they did (touring contracts, etc..., things I can't think of right now were revelutionary thanks to Peter Grant) There are many rock in roll bands but their is only one Led Zeppelin. My biggest love for the band was the way they improvised and created music live onstage-----