Honesty and respect

Estranged Reality

If the album does not come out this year, many die-hard fans will happily accept whatever excuse Merck gives us. If he says it's Universal, or that they ran into unforeseen problems, people will defend them. They'll say we should be thankful for anything this year and that "people bitch no matter what," etc.

Here's what I have to offer. If the album doesn't come out this year - and, Axl apologists, please note I'm not saying it definitely won't - but if it doesn't, then by this point Axl and Merck would both know. Because they wouldn't still be waiting as we near the middle of December for some type of response. It's not like they're on the phone with Geffen waiting for them to give the thumbs up. If the album doesn't drop this year, then they would have known full well in advance that it wasn't coming out.

If it's not out this year, then they would have known before now that this is the case. That's what I'm saying.

So... if they know it's not coming out, I won't attack Merck or Axl for this. If they have a true explanation - an honest one - for why it's being delayed, fine. I'm still a fan, and I'll still wait.

However, what I will be upset about is if they string us along until December 24th and then announce, "Oh, gee, everybody, whoops! Guess it isn't happening. Here's our excuse."

You know, if they are aware of the status of the album right now, THEY SHOULD RESPECT THEIR FANS enough to tell them the truth.

The fact that there's been no update on the status of the album offends me more so than the fact that the album may not almost certainly will not be out this year.

If this happens - if Merck waits until the last possible moment to tell us the truth - then I will feel as if they were taking advantage of us. Then I will believe the following: I will believe that they purposely held off telling us the truth so that people would not start objecting now. Think about it. If they dropped the news before now, a lot of us would lose some feeling of anticipation. And Merck is probably aware that it would damage ticket sales.

"Hey, guys, no album - but keep going to our shows! Thanks."

See what I mean?

I just want the respect of being dealt with honestly.

If they know the album isn't coming out, fine. Fine! But tell us. Don't pull this kind of shit with us. That's just weak, and disrespectful towards the fans. I think they show us a lot of disrespect, and if they bitch about how they want respect in return, they need to start learning to dish it out in the first place.

If they treated their fans well then I can guarantee there would be a lot less so-called "hating" on all the forums. If they just treated us with the smallest ounce of honesty and respect, there would be a big change in the general attitude here.

Instead of taking this to heart, confronting the matter and developing a resolution, they act like we're the ones who owe them total respect with absolutely none in return. Hey, guys, come on! It's not a one-way street. You want fans to respect you? Then respect the fans. It may sound cliched, but it's true.

They're angering and upsetting more fans by not doing this much. Another example I fall back upon is the website - promising us that we should "come back Tuesday for exclusive video!" Then at the very end of Tuesday it changes "come back soon!" and then it just gets removed without any explanation.

People justified it. "Oh, they probably didn't get the video in time."

Fine. But then, they should offer an explanation and an apology. If you have a wide fanbase, and you promise them something, and then you don't deliver. the very, very least you can do is say "Sorry." They know they're not dealing with two or three people here. There are thousands of people on these forums who were checking the site all day.

And they would have known before 10:30 pm on Tuesday night whether or not the video would be up. They could have told us Tuesday morning.

I feel like that's the attitude of this band. Promise something, wait until the last minute, then pull out without any notice or explanation or apology.

The ironic thing is that although this example of "exclusive video" is quite a "small" thing, it also represents the bigger picture, too. They will wait until the last minute, and if CD is delayed again, we'll be lucky to even get some kind of acknowledgement before January 1st.

I really think management needs to step it up a level and just treat their fans with respect, that's all I'm asking. I'm not whining and bitching about the album being delayed - I just want the respect, as a fan, of being given some kind of explanation and apology in advance and not being dragged along until 11:59 p.m. on December 31st.

My resolution to the problem? Hiring someone to deal directly with fans on a consistent basis would be a good idea - someone with good PR skills, obviously. I'm not bashing Merck, but it would be appropriate to say he's not the most outgoing and helpful manager possible given the situation. Even with "normal" bands his interaction is pretty poor, but considering the history of GN'R I think it's amazing that they don't try harder to make contact with fans out there. This is a band that's been out of the loop for over a decade and they come back with a full fanbase still intact. Most bands would KILL to have this advantage. You think Skid Row could reform with Sebastian Bach and have as much hype built up as GN'R do? It speaks to the quality of the group as a whole that so much interest still lives on. By most standards they would be classified as an '80s/early '90s rock band, and not many of those types of bands live on with such fame, legacy, and respect as GN'R. I am in awe of Axl's resentful attitude towards the very people who have held on for so long. Other '80s/early '90s bands that "expired" would kill for half the liberty Axl has these days. The fact that he can disappear for a decade, come back and still headline major tours really says a lot.

So yes, I think getting someone to deal more one-on-one with the fans would be a great idea. Not someone to kiss our asses, of course - just someone that would actually keep in contact with admins on forums. Offer updates, news, anything - just so we don't feel like we do right now: confused, abused, and wondering what the hell is going on.

Respect and honesty is all I ask for as a fan, and I think a lot of you may feel the same way. Sorry for the long post, I hope this went over well and people won't misinterpret it as a negative criticism. I'm trying to be constructive, not destructive. :)

Edited by Estranged Reality

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If that album isn't released this year...even I'll have a big fuck you towards GNR. There is absolutely no reason to tell fans and the public that the album will be released this year, if it ends up not being the case. If so, there has been no word what so ever on the subject.

If the album does not come out this year, many die-hard fans will happily accept whatever excuse Merck gives us. If he says it's Universal, or that they ran into unforeseen problems, people will defend them. They'll say we should be thankful for anything this year and that "people bitch no matter what," etc.

Here's what I have to offer. If the album doesn't come out this year - and, Axl apologists, please note I'm not saying it definitely won't - but if it doesn't, then by this point Axl and Merck would both know. Because they wouldn't still be waiting as we near the middle of December for some type of response. It's not like they're on the phone with Geffen waiting for them to give the thumbs up. If the album doesn't drop this year, then they would have known full well in advance that it wasn't coming out.

If it's not out this year, then they would have known before now that this is the case. That's what I'm saying.

So... if they know it's not coming out, I won't attack Merck or Axl for this. If they have a true explanation - an honest one - for why it's being delayed, fine. I'm still a fan, and I'll still wait.

However, what I will be upset about is if they string us along until December 24th and then announce, "Oh, gee, everybody, whoops! Guess it isn't happening. Here's our excuse."

You know, if they are aware of the status of the album right now, THEY SHOULD RESPECT THEIR FANS enough to tell them the truth.

The fact that there's been no update on the status of the album offends me more so than the fact that the album may not almost certainly will not be out this year.

If this happens - if Merck waits until the last possible moment to tell us the truth - then I will feel as if they were taking advantage of us. Then I will believe the following: I will believe that they purposely held off telling us the truth so that people would not start objecting now. Think about it. If they dropped the news before now, a lot of us would lose some feeling of anticipation. And Merck is probably aware that it would damage ticket sales.

See what I mean?

If they know the album isn't coming out, fine. Fine! But tell us. Don't pull this kind of shit with us. That's just weak, and disrespectful towards the fans. I think they show us a lot of disrespect, and if they bitch about how they want respect in return, they need to start learning to dish it out in the first place.

If they treated their fans well then I can guarantee there would be a lot less so-called "hating" on all the forums. If they just treated us with the smallest ounce of honesty and respect, there would be a big change in the general attitude here.

Instead of taking this to heart, confronting the matter and developing a resolution, they act like we're the ones who owe them total respect with absolutely none in return. Hey, guys, come on! It's not a one-way street. You want fans to respect you? Then respect the fans. It may sound cliched, but it's true.

They're angering and upsetting more fans by not doing this much. Another example I fall back upon is the website - promising us that we should "come back Tuesday for exclusive video!" Then at the very end of Tuesday it changes "come back soon!" and then it just gets removed without any explanation.

Fine. But then, they should offer an explanation and an apology. If you have a wide fanbase, and you promise them something, and then you don't deliver. the very, very least you can do is say "Sorry." They know they're not dealing with two or three people here. There are thousands of people on these forums who were checking the site all day.

And they would have known before 10:30 pm on Tuesday night whether or not the video would be up. They could have told us Tuesday morning.

I feel like that's the attitude of this band. Promise something, wait until the last minute, then pull out without any notice or explanation or apology.

The ironic thing is that although this example of "exclusive video" is quite a "small" thing, it also represents the bigger picture, too. They will wait until the last minute, and if CD is delayed again, we'll be lucky to even get some kind of acknowledgement before January 1st.

I really think management needs to step it up a level and just treat their fans with respect, that's all I'm asking. I'm not whining and bitching about the album being delayed - I just want the respect, as a fan, of being given some kind of explanation and apology in advance and not being dragged along until 11:59 p.m. on December 31st.

My resolution to the problem? Hiring someone to deal directly with fans on a consistent basis would be a good idea - someone with good PR skills, obviously. I'm not bashing Merck, but it would be appropriate to say he's not the most outgoing and helpful manager possible given the situation. Even with "normal" bands his interaction is pretty poor, but considering the history of GN'R I think it's amazing that they don't try harder to make contact with fans out there. This is a band that's been out of the loop for over a decade and they come back with a full fanbase still intact. Most bands would KILL to have this advantage. You think Skid Row could reform with Sebastian Bach and have as much hype built up as GN'R do? It speaks to the quality of the group as a whole that so much interest still lives on. By most standards they would be classified as an '80s/early '90s rock band, and not many of those types of bands live on with such fame, legacy, and respect as GN'R. I am in awe of Axl's resentful attitude towards the very people who have held on for so long. Other '80s/early '90s bands that "expired" would kill for half the liberty Axl has these days. The fact that he can disappear for a decade, come back and still headline major tours really says a lot.

So yes, I think getting someone to deal more one-on-one with the fans would be a great idea. Not someone to kiss our asses, of course - just someone that would actually keep in contact with admins on forums. Offer updates, news, anything - just so we don't feel like we do right now: confused, abused, and wondering what the hell is going on.

Respect and honesty is all I ask for as a fan, and I think a lot of you may feel the same way. Sorry for the long post, I hope this went over well and people won't misinterpret it as a negative criticism. I'm trying to be constructive, not destructive. :)

umm, I never thoght I would be sayng this, but you are right. They really should communicate better, my only guess is they just dont want to deal with the negativity right at this moment. But I am gonna keep the faith something is gonmna happen.

See what I mean?

umm, I never thoght I would be sayng this, but you are right. They really should communicate better, my only guess is they just dont want to deal with the negativity right at this moment. But I am gonna keep the faith something is gonmna happen.

I still hope there's some kind of freak surprise this year, too. But realistically, I just don't think it's very possible. But we'll see. :)

Geez Lando... must have been a quiet day in Cloud City on Bespin. Madison... shine up the LPIFHA (longest post in forum history award).

I still think these discussions should be saved until something (if anything) ever happens.

Geez Lando... must have been a quiet day in Cloud City on Bespin. Madison... shine up the LPIFHA (longest post in forum history award).

I still think these discussions should be saved until something (if anything) ever happens.

I think it was actually pretty relevant, it wasnt a rant, so I am good with it. And as far as someting special, I would be satisfied with a single before L.A. and a firm release date in early 2007.

But I'm not really talking about the album or whether anything's going to happen. That's been discussed to death. I have no problem with it being delayed - but I do have a problem if they aren't coming clean with us up front.

If we get an announcement tomorrow, it doesn't change the fact that up until then the respect/interaction towards fans has been minimal at best. This post really isn't about the album's release, it's about how silent they are. I think most people would agree a lot more could be done right now on that end. The official website is never updated, and when it is it's always cryptic (such as the Del James article which disappeared randomly and was never posted again). So, that's what I'm discussing, not really the album, just respect and acknowledgment in general.

I think it was actually pretty relevant, it wasnt a rant, so I am good with it. And as far as someting special, I would be satisfied with a single before L.A. and a firm release date in early 2007.

Yeah, it really wasn't intended to be a rant - at all. Just more of a discussion of how we are treated as fans and how that can be improved, and vice versa. :)

Edited by Estranged Reality

But I'm not really talking about the album or whether anything's going to happen. That's been discussed to death. I have no problem with it being delayed - but I do have a problem if they aren't coming clean with us up front.

If we get an announcement tomorrow, it doesn't change the fact that up until then the respect/interaction towards fans has been minimal at best. This post really isn't about the album's release, it's about how silent they are. I think most people would agree a lot more could be done right now on that end. The official website is never updated, and when it is it's always cryptic (such as the Del James article which disappeared randomly and was never posted again). So, that's what I'm discussing, not really the album, just respect and acknowledgment in general.

Yeah, it really wasn't intended to be a rant - at all. Just more of a discussion of how we are treated as fans and how that can be improved, and vice versa. :)

Geesh... I was just trying to be funny... tough crowd.

I better get some smileys next time or you're not getting the Falcon back.

Sorry Estranged Reality - but I disagree.

I don't know why people think Axl owes them something. He doesn't. People pay money to buy an album or concert ticket, and they receive music and concerts (well, most of the time) in return.

Nobody is putting a gun to your head forcing you to post on fan forums or forcing you to wait for the album. Axl himself - in his own words - summed it up perfectly back in 2002:

"If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you, in the end you could win on this either way. But if you're really into waiting try holding your breath for Jesus cause I hear the payoff may be that much greater."

Do I sympathize with your point of view, Estranged Reality? Sure.

But I don't really understand why people are making such a huge deal about this. For those of us who have been around the GNR internet forums for many years, we've seen dozens and dozens of album release dates come and go. If this turns out to be another one - no big deal. *shrugs* The sun will still come up in the morning, the birds will still be flying, and life will go on everybody.

Very good post. I'm might be old and get flamed as a noob despite checking this forum for years, but after so many false hopes and broken promises, the latest one if the album is not released will for be me the final straw. To promise an album this year, take our money for a tour for a forthcoming album, without it being released!!!! I'm sorry, but there is only so much heartache and raised hopes a fan can take without feeling bitter.

If the album doesn't come out this year, then i won't buy it, i'll just download it like a 'downloading muthafooker'. This isn't because i'm not a 'fan', it's just they don't seem to realise how much hurt broken promises cause fans, therefore i'll vote with my feet so to speak by not spending one thin dime on the damned album. I think the suffering of waiting so long outweighs the pitiful sum of money that the album costs.

If Axl only cares about his music, as most 'true' artists do, then he won't worry if he doesn't make money on the album, he should be satisfied that after 15 years or so, he has something material to hold in his hands that sums up his best creative efforts.

FORZA Guns N' Roses!

There has been many good points brought up here. But you know what? The bottom line is simple. Weather you think GNR owes us anything or not, does not change the fact that the lack of communication is comical at this point. I just do not understand why they can't be honest with the fans. Jesus H!!! Why can't they say: "we are listening to some final mixes, I was unhappy with some of the material so I had to go back and do some rearanging. I hope to be done in a month and have the album out in about 3-4 months. I will keep you updated". I mean, something!?

Exactly, it's the fact that they have said X (album out this year), Y (leave fans waiting for album) and Z (album not released this year and then silence from band or crap excuse).

X + Y + Z = Disillusioned and Apathetic Fans

It is comical.

I'm not a hater or anything, i'm just a fan who can't deal with another broken promise again. If that happens, then i WILL be the first person to upload a torrent of Chinese Democracy. No-one cares about informing fans? Then fuck it, i won't care about pirating the album, then Universal and Axl will pay for fucking me about for soooooooooooo long.

Post of the week, Estranged Reality. By writing that I regret to inform you that you will now never be able to apply for the position of Axl Rose body hair remover. How dare you ask for respect and communication from the almighty Guns management! They owe you nothing, it is you the lowly consumer who should kneel before the almighty Merck and kiss his pinkie ring ala the Godfather Don Corleone . "Don" Mercuriadis shall have the last laugh, for just as 2005 is the year of Guns N Roses, they have planned the most secret of all album releases, a feat that has yet to be accomplished by a major band ....... until now. Just wait :rolleyes:

yeah yeah, mr "i act like i have inside sources" haha secret album release?, what good is that fucking album if its released secretly?, i could picture axl saying to the bandmates "hey guys, i just released the cd, DONT TELL ANYBODY"

Excellent post ER, nice job. You summed it up very well and I agree. I admire Madison's position on all this too. Fact of the matter is it's a sad state of affairs to be a GnR fan in many ways. True, Axl's out there, we've heard new music and they are touring, but it's a double edged sword.

Sorry Estranged Reality - but I disagree.

I don't know why people think Axl owes them something. He doesn't. People pay money to buy an album or concert ticket, and they receive music and concerts (well, most of the time) in return.

Nobody is putting a gun to your head forcing you to post on fan forums or forcing you to wait for the album. Axl himself - in his own words - summed it up perfectly back in 2002:

"If you're waiting...don't. Live your life. That's your responsibility not mine. If it were not to happen you won't have missed a thing. If in fact it does you might get something that works for you, in the end you could win on this either way. But if you're really into waiting try holding your breath for Jesus cause I hear the payoff may be that much greater."

Do I sympathize with your point of view, Estranged Reality? Sure.

But I don't really understand why people are making such a huge deal about this. For those of us who have been around the GNR internet forums for many years, we've seen dozens and dozens of album release dates come and go. If this turns out to be another one - no big deal. *shrugs* The sun will still come up in the morning, the birds will still be flying, and life will go on everybody.

madison, If a girl walks behind me while entering a building, I dont owe her the courtesy of opening it for her, but I do. Sure Axl doesnt owe us, but it would be a nice gesture to make a statement. I am not personally looking forward to anything but the 13th and 15th, however I do not believe it is much to ask if Axl knows something that could help passify us, to pass it along. Estranged has a valid point.

Edited by Gunzen

Excellent post ER, nice job. You summed it up very well and I agree. I admire Madison's position on all this too. Fact of the matter is it's a sad state of affairs to be a GnR fan in many ways. True, Axl's out there, we've heard new music and they are touring, but it's a double edged sword.

dude, I was with you till you said sad state of affairs, jesus dude, two sellouts in a row, playing 2 1/2 hours shows, high energy, gotta disagree, maybe a bit frustrating, but not sad man.

sad state of affairs, see Def Leppard, lol

I really don't think they know themselves. Axl has fought for the control. Now it's all his decision. He has to be careful not to get screwed by the record company. He might want it out without promotion and they want to do it later with full fanfare. Or he may have just bailed cos he has a new song. I imagine it's called Never.

Good post I agree. I especially agree that a lot of the negativity on the boards would go away if they just filled us in on a regular basis. The band seems peeved that we dissect and speculate over so many rumors, people take sides, people argue. This is a basic lack of communication. The band says don't believe anything unless it comes straight from the band, but if the band doesn't tell us anything, then of course all kinds of bullshit is going to come up. What's happening with the band? Did something go wrong? Is there some sort of surprise? No one knows. I like coming to these boards but it sucks that there is a lot of arguing. We're all here because we like GN'R in some way shape or form. We all have our own opinions about the band and songs and thats great. But in my opinion, if GN'R wants to make a real and relevant comeback, they need to start by helping to unite the fans, not divide them into opinionated sects. The key to starting this is communication.

Sorry I'll step off my soapbox now.

I just do not understand why they can't be honest with the fans. Jesus H!!! Why can't they say: "we are listening to some final mixes, I was unhappy with some of the material so I had to go back and do some rearanging. I hope to be done in a month and have the album out in about 3-4 months. I will keep you updated". I mean, something!?

They don't make updates because they don't want to spoil the "mystique" surrounding Chin Dem...

It has to remain a mysterious thing...

B)